• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help teaching a friend

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
Ok after bringing one of my friends from the fire dept. to my range and letting him get some time behind my 260rem. and my cz452 he got the bug and wants me to start teaching him the basics of precision rifle shooting.

I advised him to get a 22 to start with. 2 days later he bought a ruger 10/22. I am now working with him on building the 10/22 into a precision rig but want to get him on the range and start teaching as we can build as we go.

problems: 1. he is ex-LEO so not sure if he has picked up any bad habits (trigger slap, jerking, flinching, etc.)

2. not sure where to start with his training as he has no experience with precision shooting.

any tips, advice, ideas?

Re: Need help teaching a friend

Have him read up on here... Fundamentals of marksman ship is a great read. There are many many more articles on here on basic marksmenship that are great to touch up on for even the seasoned vets. From there practice makes perfect... learn from doing. That would be my approach as that's how I taught myself and a couple of friends.

buy the on-line training. If you have not buy it as well. That will take care of your question. It is absolutly, without a doubt worth the money.

+1 for the on-line training. Get it and watch it.

The other thing you might consider is just camping out with him in your living room or backyard and teaching him how to saddle up to the rifle properly (natural point of aim), getting a good cheek weld (sight alignment), breathing, and how to squeeze the trigger (follow through). The on-line course will cover this material, but hands on is where it's really at, so review the on-line material and then cover it hands on with him. Do a lot of dry firing and work on the fundamentals with him and make sure he doesn't have bad habits prior going to the range.

If possible, take a class at Rifles Only.

It's good you have a friend to shoot with. It makes if more fun and less intimidating when both of you enter together into training/competition events. I'd suggest both of you attend this year's USAMU Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry. This 40 dollar, two day event will refresh you with the basics and introduce your friend to everything important to good shooting in a manner which can he can digest it. BTW, your friend's 10/22 I assume will have a scope on it and this leads to a multitude of problems for the beginning shooter. If your friend could start off with the little Savage rifle which comes with peep sights he'd get off to a better start than with an optical sight.

Online training and also download the free shooter ready program to give him practice dialing elevation and windage. There is also some cool ukd practice on there.

I tell first timers that the shot should startle them. The slow, steady squeeze of the trigger will surprise you when the shot breaks.