• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help validating military ID for a sale

seanh

Fucktard Ring ldr
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Guys, I need some help from the military guys (army) here on how to check the validity of someone. I'm sell a vehicle (salvage) and have had someone out of state who claim that they are stationed at Fort Drum Army base...I'm in Texas. The phone number matches NY but not the Ft. Drum area so right there is a flag but that doesn't mean much...I have an 832 number and can just as easily be at Ft. Hood. What I'm wanting to do is give the guy the benefit of the doubt before I just call it a scam.

The issues are, no face to face meeting, no real method of contact other than text and the method of payment- cashiers check (While in itself isn't an issue but with someone from out of state asking my name/address (which I understand is needed), it also opens me up to ID theft)

How would I go about validating the guy is legit via military ID? I don't have it yet (haven't asked) but figured that's a place to start.
Would it be inappropriate, once I have ID, to ask to speak to a ranking officer on base to verify ID?

347-919-6539 is the phone number I have.

I had the same thing. An emergency will come up that he will try to make you feel sorry for him. He will say his banker sent you the wrong amount on the check and can you just forward him the difference.

its a scam. just stop while your ahead. i had the check in hand and took it to the police station to try and get this guy and they told me that they cant do anything until i cash the check and then i will be questioned. long story short. nothing happens to them and you will be in trouble for fraud since the check isnt real. good luck and my experience was an Army guy as well.

That's what I figured...waiting for a response for any "ID". I know I won't get it so I'm going to move on but you never know...have had several sales that seemed scamish that were legit.

if anyone knows of someone wanting a project vehicle (94 2wd 4runner), let me know...(if this part of the post is inappropriate, sorry-- will remove if necessary)

Thanks for the link, I might use it. I didn't get a chance to complete a proper search today but leaning toward scam regardless...never heard back after asking for ID.