• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help w/ an AR build

josie6637

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2011
Gentalmen,
Im going to be building a target/comp AR .223. Basically I am wanting to use it for targets out to 500 (paper/prairie dogs) but I also want to throw it into some 3 gun style matches. Im looking at a WOA 20" BBL fluted 1-8 twist, but am wondering if I need the HVY barrel? I'm concerend that the weight will get old.
So I have a series of dumb questions;
What will I loose by going to an 18"?
Does anyone have a set up that they use in these types of applications that works for them?
Do I really gain that much by going w/ a BBL?
Thank you for the help

Re: Need help w/ an AR build

If you'll be 3 gunning with it, run the 18" lighter profile barrel. There is a test somewhere on the net where a guy chopped a 223 sako barrel down. Try to google the test. Something like, affects of barrel length on accuracy and velocity on a 223.

I think if you decide what you are actually going to do more off with the rifle, ie target shooting at 500 or 3 gun matches should determine what your build paramters should be. Having a dedicated 223 to shoot paper and dogs at 500 yards, I think a 24 inch barrel shooting the heavier pills is simply difficult to beat. But for three gun match the 16 and 18 inch barrel is going to win out. Have you thought about a compromise, say runnning an 18 inch barrel in a different caliber shuch as the Grendel or one of its clones.

I don't 3-Gun, but an 18" bbl will throw a 77grn OTM just fine. You will have a little more drop at longer ranges, but that's easy enough to correct for.

Birddog1911, if you are running one of Kevins rifles, you can't get much better than that.

Thanks for all the help gents. My biggest problem is I want 1 gun that is a multi specialty weapon. Kinda like one knife in the kitchen what should it be type thoughts. Im probably going to end up building 2, or at least the uppers. Thanks again, and if anyone has more input I would like to hear it. Basically a sponge.

josie6637, on my last build I actually thought about what I wanted in the rifle, I went with an 18inch mid lenght upper (1"8) with a rifle lenght rail to push the bipod out there and a lmt sopmod for a stock, caliber is 264lbc, shoots great with 107 or 123 and I can push the heavys if I really need to, topped her off with with NF NXS 2.5-10x24. Change out the optic and add a vertical grip and she comfortable to shoot in a close in environment, add a can and she still not to unmangeable lenghtways, total weight with the NF I think was 10lbs.

For what you want the rifle to do, go with an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system, unless you get a Noveske. The downside to the Noveske is that the gas tube length is proprietary, so if you ever need another, you'll have to order it from them.

You won't give up anything noticeable by going with an 18" rather than a 20" except recoil impulse. The 18" is going to shoot smoother due to the shorter dwell time.

This is what mine looked like...
DSC_0004.jpg

TonyAngel I actually caught your pic on another thread and printed it. Love the gun looks great.

josie, I appreciate the compliment and it shot better than it looks. If you go with an 18" barrel, just be mindful, because lots of places are selling 18" barrels with mid length gas systems and they just don't shoot as smoothly.

I just bought a DPMS Mini Sass, which is chambered in 5.56mm for about $1400. It does have a 18" 416 Stainless Steel fluted barrel with 1-8 twist. Perfect 500yd gun for what you're talking about doing. And to be totally honest, the rifle is one hell of a deal. I did the research and building the rifle, or buying the upper and adding the lower with the magpul stock and DPMS molded pistol grip, comparing apples to apples, it was very economical to just out right buy the rifle. Now I have also bought a Millet TRS-1 scope to mount on the girl. I am waiting on a riser and rings to arrive. Once I get them I will be at the range. I did shoot the rifle at short range (approx 25-30yds) and it grouped very tightly. I could have taped a dime over where I laced about ten rounds with iron sights. So far I love it and cant wait to get the scope on it and get it firing long range. I have high expectations.