• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help with 260 Chamber Specs on Krieger

Lazuris

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Hi all I have a question for the hide. I'm building a 260 here are the specs for what I have ordered and recieved:

Surgeon short action repeater /w their bottom metal and acis mag
A-5 stock
Jewel
and Krieger 26" MTU Flutted, 1:8 5r

Now here is the question: I'm having Krieger chamber it for me. They called and in 2 weeks they will cut the chamber. My question. Is there any special instructions I should include when cutting the chamber. I told them That max bullet OAL will be determined by mag length and make it min SAMMI spec. IS there anything else I should do or ask for?

This rifle will be used in tactical matches and long distance desert shooting. Its not a bench rifle its a tacticool rifle.

One more question: I'm ordering a nightforce 5-22. I want to go mil/mil. Which retical do hide members perfer. The 260 will run out to max supersonic range wich is 1400ish per JBM so I want something that works well past 1k. Personally I like the MLR retical.

Re: Need Help with 260 Chamber Specs on Krieger

They need no special instructions; they know what they are doing, assuming you agree with their reamer blueprint they are using and the headspace dimension they plan on using.

If you disagree with the latter, I'm sure they'd be happy to run the reamer a few thou deeper (their spec is around .001" to .002" over minimum). If you disagree with the former, then you better buy your own reamer and send it to them to use.

_9H thanks for the reply. I guess my question should have been Should I ask for any changes or just roll with what they have. Personally I'd like to go with what the experts have and call it a day. But they called me and asked so I'm asking the hide.

Agree with 9, just tell them to make a kickass 260 that'll work with high BC bullets fed from a AICS mag. I'll bet they know just what you want.

I'm building a very similar rifle. I'm having my smith use a .260 match reamer with .06 free bore from PTC. The free bore is what you have to watch out for. If it is too long, then 140gr bullets will not touch the lands when seated to mag length in a ACIS mag.

I saw on another post that you can get away with a .1 free bore with the 140gr, but I'm playing it safe with .06 (as that is what my smith had on hand anyways).

I would call Krieger and confirm it is a match reamer with the free bore you want.

Thanks guys thats why I come to the hide.

I'm bumping your thread because I would like to hear opinions about the NF reticle as well. Sounds like you will have a great rifle, post some pics and targets when it's built please.

not all 140 series boolits got the ogive in the same place...

so the savvy get their own reamer based on what they shoot.

sometimes one can get lucky and stack the holes with a certian load.....othertimes it will take some load development.....and then there is the throat wear....the salty get a short chamber and jam 'em....which sometimes works....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MLR reticle</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadJamesR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm building a very similar rifle. I'm having my smith use a .260 match reamer with .06 free bore from PTC. </div></div>

I have both a .060" and .100" free bore 260 reamer and find myself using the .100" 99.9% of the time. In fact, I can only remember one chamber I cut with the .060" free bore reamer. I run the 130 Berger VLD's in mine and the ogive is very similar to the 140 VLD's. My 130's are +.015" in and the COAL is 2.934". I use a modified AI magazine and used the .100" free bore reamer on my chamber. If I had used the .060" free bore reamer my COAL would have been 2.874"ish. Almost just right for a non-modified AI mags since they are 2.897"ish "Tight"

I've also been testing the 139 Scenars at 2.847", this is the COAL by seating them with the same die setting as the 130 Bergers. They've been shooting in dots.

The thing about reamers and free bore is this, with VLD (secant ogive) bullets you'll need a slightly shorter free bore, with Scenars or SMK's (tangent ogive) bullets you can get away with a slightly longer free bore. Decide on the bullet you're going to shoot, build a dummy at the COAL you need and have a reamer ground to match your needs. I started testing the scenars because I know at some point my throat is going to move and I don’t have room in my magazine to chase it with the VLD's if I'm in the lands +.015"

I really think somewhere around .080" free bore is just about right for a 260 reamer and a multitude of bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^That's why I'm having him build my 260^^^^ </div></div>

Why bother? You're just gonna sell it, then wish you had it back
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^That's why I'm having him build my 260^^^^ </div></div>

Why bother? You're just gonna sell it, then wish you had it back
wink.gif
</div></div>

Better yet, Jason can sell it to me now and save the shipping. I can just go pick it up.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^That's why I'm having him build my 260^^^^ </div></div>

There should be a "were" in that sentence..... LOL!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^That's why I'm having him build my 260^^^^ </div></div>

There should be a "were" in that sentence..... LOL!!!!</div></div>

What's funny is that when I saw you had responded to this thread, I almost didn't even open it, I knew exactly what the comment was going to be. LOL

RAD, 9H, I think this one is a keeper
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I started testing the scenars because I know at some point my throat is going to move and I don’t have room in my magazine to chase it with the VLD's if I'm in the lands +.015"
</div></div>

Have you tried jumping them? Terry Cross built my .260, and I don't have a clue what reamer he's using, but I'm jumping the 130's about .030 with great results. I tried jumping them before jamming them just for that reason, and it worked great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried jumping them? Terry Cross built my .260, and I don't have a clue what reamer he's using, but I'm jumping the 130's about .030 with great results. I tried jumping them before jamming them just for that reason, and it worked great. </div></div>

Yes, I jumped them at first. I had them loaded to magazine length and they shot like crap. The best I can tell, Terry's 260 Reamer has .090" free bore. Maybe I could jump them a little farther but for now, they're in 1 ragged hole at 100 and on steel at 400 yards it looks like they're hitting in the same spot, the Scenars are hanging with the 130's and may even have a slight edge. Lifes good when you have two bullets shooting this good
grin.gif