• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Need help with 308 bullet choice for Elk

paxamus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
Alabama
Hey there Hide,
I am getting ready for a cow elk hunt in November/December and am conflicted on bullet choices. I have never hunted elk and don't want to be unprepared. I have used (and my Bergara loves) SST and Amax in 165 and 168 on deer and have had good results. Should I go with the SST which are accurate or should I switch to ELD-X? I don't want to screw around and mess up since I've never hunted elk. Any input appreciated

I would not personally use an Amax on an elk. I prefer the GMX style bullet but I have not used that exact bullet. There are several bullets of the GMX type and those have performed exceptionally for me. I had troubles with lack of bullet penetration on conventional expanding bullets on elk a few years ago. I don't want to put an animal through that again and I take the blame. I've taken quite a few elk with the GMX style bullets, "Fail Safe" and "Barnes" to be specific, and they all performed extremely well. I am not a young man and I've taken many animals in the last 50 years. Choose your bullets wisely and don't try to put extreme accuracy over the performance of the bullet upon impact. I used conventional expanding bullets for most of my life but the newer monolithic bullets are worth every penny. Hunting is about bullet performance and an elk is a touch majestic animal. Accuracy is important but penetration and expansion determine if your animal goes home with you or runs into the woods.

Good luck on your hunt sir.

Reactions: SLG
I've tried AMAX's on larger deer and hogs, 280-350 lbs, and rarely did the bullets perform well on that sized game. They tend to break apart too fast for deep penetration. I had kills, but remember several 300 yd+ shots with desperate blood trails due to no exit wound if the animal didn't drop. I switched to Barnes TTSX's around 2009 or 2010 and have had 100% positive results, significant initial expansion and energy dump, but typically exit to leave the needed blood trail at longer distances. That said, I'm going to try the ELD-Xs this year based on results others have posted from last season. The BC's are higher than Barnes, but we'll see if the results are at least equal.

Barnes. I've used the 168 TTSX in all my .308 caliber rifles. I've never had one take a step! Varget works well, but I had better performance with RL15.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjg
I have had success to 360 yards with Hornady 150gr GMX ammunition. Cow went 20 yards and tipped over.

The ELD-X bullet has worked very well for my wife in her 6.5 creedmoor. I would not hesitate to use the ELD-X with your 308

I shot a cow elk with a 165sst with my 300 win mag. Shot was broadside at 250 yards. I hit the back of the front shoulder and the sst bullet made hamburger of the opposite side of the animal. I lost a lot of meat due to the fragmentation. Lower velocity from .308 would improve results with the sst performance. I would want a broadside lung shot with an sst.

Thanks everyone! I put in an order for some Barnes 168 TTSX (factory loads) since I don't reload yet (not enough time)- but will be saving all of this info for when I do. Now just can't wait for my ammo to get in so I can try it on the range

Thanks everyone! I put in an order for some Barnes 168 TTSX (factory loads) since I don't reload yet (not enough time)- but will be saving all of this info for when I do. Now just can't wait for my ammo to get in so I can try it on the range

Good choice

I have had success to 360 yards with Hornady 150gr GMX ammunition. Cow went 20 yards and tipped over.

The ELD-X bullet has worked very well for my wife in her 6.5 creedmoor. I would not hesitate to use the ELD-X with your 308
-
ya the 178's eld-x's work good out .308 win . . heavy hide bone should be no problem . my brother's daughter just dug one out a small 6'+ Bear few days ago . I will get it and weigh it/with a Pic. of bullet . Also the accubonds are top notch. for great penetration heavy bone and still retains good amount of bullet weight .
I loaded up the last .308win. loads with 155 Scenars last few years and they were doing good on lighter-weight hide and bone for Deer and Antelope . But the Scenars on the last two Elk were a little shitty on bullet integrity. They was dropping the Elk-doa but A lot of copper jacket recovered and no Lead . So (imho) the not good choice for the heavier hide/bone game .

There is literally not a bad choice mentioned in this thread, the two you were already using would work just fine.
Thanks! I think that I just have too much time on my hands waiting for this hunt and am SO DAMN EXCITED!! I am gonna give the TTSX and see how they shoot out of my Bergara

178 ELD-x . .308 Win. ( 325 yard hit ) . ( size 6 ft.+) black bear, Hit threw front shoulder, straight threw and hung-up opposite side under the hide .
post-hit total weight ( 133.2 )
-
168 acubond.jpg

-

Last edited:
Reactions: shooter65
Both the SST and AMAX behave very similar in my experience, they shed the jacket and fragment causing extensive damage to meat on shoulder shots.
For elk I would look at a bullet that is better constructed for controlled expansion.
I have allways liked the Nosler Accubond bullets as well as the Barnes TSX if I need a bullet with predictable expansion and penetration.

I’ve had great results with Barnes 150gr TTSX, Federal 165 & 180gr Bonded Bear Claw, 168gr HSM Trophy Gold (Berger HVLD), ..... all clean kills on game.

Another option is the Federal Premium Trophy Copper. It’s monolithic like the Barnes TSX. I used it on safari and had great success on variety of animals, including Kudu, wildebeest, and nyala. Shots ranged from 125 to 350 yards. I routinely use it on hogs and my son runs it exclusively in one of his rifles. He consistently gets 3” to 3.5” spreads at 500 yards.

Another option is the Federal Premium Trophy Copper. It’s monolithic like the Barnes TSX. I used it on safari and had great success on variety of animals, including Kudu, wildebeest, and nyala. Shots ranged from 125 to 350 yards. I routinely use it on hogs and my son runs it exclusively in one of his rifles. He consistently gets 3” to 3.5” spreads at 500 yards.
What caliber? I'm going to use some 120's this year on deer in 6.5C and see how they do.

To the OP, TTSX has never failed me, great choice.

For me, the best big game bullets start and end with Barnes. Superb accuracy and they hit hard. I find it very rare to recover one from elk. If you are shooting a 308Win, I'd look at the 150gr Barnes.

Two examples: Weatherby Sub-MOA rifle in 300 Weatherby, using 180gr Barnes TSX at 3,175fps. Mature cow elk at 380-390yds, lasered, facing away from my buddy. He hits her in the left hip, bullet penetrates to the right shoulder, breaking it and exits. Cow drops on the spot;

Same friend misses a bull elk at 417yds a few yeas ago, I shoot, hit the bull which takes 2 steps and drops. Bull was broadside to me and the 130gr Barnes XLC went in the right side, out the left, back into his upper left leg, shatters the heavy upper leg bone, and the bullet exits into the hillside. This was my 270win. MV was 3,150fps.