• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with .308 choice

gl51virus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Lake Charles, LA
I will be taking a Long Range Precison course the last weekend of June. I have a Rem 700 SPS tactical for now but I am wanting a new rifle to make sure I have 2 guns to bring. Who doesn't want more guns. :) I don't think I can get custom gun built by June to get some range time before going but I do want a higher end gun. So what are some suggestions on rifle choices? I will be shooting out to the 800-1000 yd range. Thanks

Re: Need help with .308 choice

For non-custom guns I'm sort of partial to the Sako TRG line. The AI AE might be another good choice in that general price range.

I assume that you want to stay in the 308 caliber with your second rifle. That’s probably a good idea considering that you wont have to lug around 20 boxes each of two different calibars when you go to the class.

Shooter.dm is on target with the suggestion of a Savage or Howa. The price is good on a Savage and they are pretty darn accurate right out of the box.

If you are looking for something a little more higher end I would take a look here on the Hide. There are plenty of guys selling unfired customs and barreled actions. If you pick up a good barreled action then all you have to do is get yourself a good stock to put it in and you're are off and running.

If you like the feel of the Remington you have plenty of time to pick up another SPS with a longer barrel. Maybe the SPS Varmint. Once you get it, yank it out of the stock, send it over to PCR (Phoenix Custom Rifles) and have them work their magic on the bolt and receiver. Then pick up a good stock with a full length aluminum bedding block and you should be good to go.

More important than a second rifle to take to the class is a good scope that allows you to reach out to 1K yards. Pretty much any 308 will get you there but you won’t be able to get on paper without good optics.

Another thing to consider is a rifle that has a good brake on it. While the 308's kick isn’t bad, you will be shooting hundreds of rounds a day while you're there and after a while it will take its toll on you and your shot.

Hope this helps and good luck,

If you want a back-up I say buy another SPS. Send the one you have now to Short Action Customs for their SPS package. Mark will have it back in plenty of time for your class. Or for that matter send him the other SPS and it will be back in plenty of time too. You want your back up to be pretty similar to your primary. You'll spend a fair amount of the class getting to know the rifle and establishing dope. If you switch to something wildly different you will be behind unless you already have dope for it too.

That said I don't really know if you need a back up.

I am really looking hard at the Savage 10 BA in .308. And I have already ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MRAD scope and a Larue mount. I have also been searching the Hide for a custom that one of the other members is selling. If I do find a good custom then that would be my 1st option, but I just want to make sure it is what I want.

If you’re taking a course and this is your primary rifle you might be better off focusing on that rifle and bringing parts and tools in case it goes down.

1) Firing pin assemble…and either a firing pin removal tool or learn the shoe string method the class will have some tools to get you back up and running
2) Trigger
3) Possible back up scope
4) Scope rings.

Upside of this is that you will ring it out and find out things that you like and don’t like, you will have a far better understanding of what you want in a custom if you decide that is the way you want to go..

Lastly MORE AMMO.. tested loads or factory offerings of the same lot and lots of it.

My SPS is geared towards hunting. I am already planning my custom build, it just will not be in by early June for me to have any range time behind it. So I am looking for a precision rifle to purchase now to set-up for long range shooting to be my primary rifle until my custom comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a back-up I say buy another SPS. Send the one you have now to Short Action Customs for their SPS package. Mark will have it back in plenty of time for your class. Or for that matter send him the other SPS and it will be back in plenty of time too. You want your back up to be pretty similar to your primary. You'll spend a fair amount of the class getting to know the rifle and establishing dope. If you switch to something wildly different you will be behind unless you already have dope for it too.

That said I don't really know if you need a back up. </div></div> I have got to agree with this assessment. You wil have plenty of time to practice with your new accurized rifle before June.

The nighthawk .308 in the for sale section would be my choice...

I ordered a GAP Crusader .308 the week before Christmas. They said it would be ready between April 20 and May 20. If all holds true, that would make your June delivery date. Philip.