• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with 6.5/284 Norma

jrayecu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
ada
I have a savage 10 fcp hs precision with a 6.5/284 Norma barrel and was wondering how should I check to see what over all length would fit my gun.any tricks or suggestions?

Re: Need help with 6.5/284 Norma

Not trying to be a dick but this is Basic Reloading 101. If you are asking this type of question you should read a reloading manual from Hornady, Sierra, Speer, etc. AG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to be a dick but this is Basic Reloading 101. If you are asking this type of question you should read a reloading manual from Hornady, Sierra, Speer, etc. AG</div></div>

He never said he was reloading.

jray, are you reloading or looking to buy factory ammo? Are you asking about OAL to fit in the magazine, the chamber or both? Is the chamber job a custom one or a factory chamber?

I am reloading and I know what the books says to make them but it's a custom cutt chamber and I want to set the bullet slightly in the lands and I do not have the special tool to check the length and was wondering if I could mark a dummy bullet with a marker or something then load it in the chamber?

Oh my...this is tempting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh my...this is tempting. </div></div>
what is tempting? I am asking for help yes I don't know how to set it just right I do know what the book says but I want it perfect. Thanks for trying to make me sound like a fool. I really don't care if I know everything that is y I have this wonderful site , to learn from the smart cool people on here that can help and will

JRAY,
Feel free to PM me and I will help you however I can. I am not exactly sure what info you are needing but I am sure we can work through it.

If you are wanting this level of precision invest in the Hornady tool and a dummy case. Around $45. It will give you more usable data than blackening a bullet tip. Also get the cartridge comparator so you can measure from the ogive. Another $35. This will let you monitor the throat erosion and lengthen the rounds as the throat lengthens. The Sinclair website has these tools and an explanation of their use. Competition shooters using this round commonly set a barrel back at under a thousand rounds and junk it by 14-15 hundred rounds. You have bought a hot-rod with a tall cam and it needs some tinkering to keep it running. Buy the tools. AG

Another way you can do it is neck sizing a once fired case just enough so it will put enough pressure on a bullet to hold it in place. Barely push the bullet into the neck and chamber the round. As you push the round into the chamber, the bullet comes in contact with the lands and pushes itself back into the neck. Close the bolt, open the bolt back up and slowly remove the round. Now you can measure the overall length and that will give you your distance to the lands. It does the same thing as the hornady tool.

Ok I will try to loosen up my neck size slightly and I found out a couple other ways to do it also. Thanks for all the help to those that helped and didn't ridicule my question, and to the rest yall will need help someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad from ND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another way you can do it is neck sizing a once fired case just enough so it will put enough pressure on a bullet to hold it in place. Barely push the bullet into the neck and chamber the round. As you push the round into the chamber, the bullet comes in contact with the lands and pushes itself back into the neck. Close the bolt, open the bolt back up and slowly remove the round. Now you can measure the overall length and that will give you your distance to the lands. It does the same thing as the hornady tool.</div></div>

You may want to do this several times to insure you measurements are correct. Sometimes the bullet will hang slightly in the rifling giving bad measurements. Check, recheck and triplecheck you measurements before loading. Good Luck.

Just turned down a rod and threaded a bullet and made me a guage that I can lock into place

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit tempting me. </div></div>
what the hell ? Say what u want u r probably just a tree hugging liberal p.o.s with no life, job, or education and that why you talking crap about somebody trying to learn about something they have little to no experience with. Real cool dude!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">u r probably just a tree hugging liberal</div></div>

He does hug trees, I've seen the pics!

Jray,

Glad to help...hope it works out for you.

Oilyowl.....WTF? The guy is asking a legit question that he did not have an answer to. There are other ways to find the same info WITHOUT spending your hard earned money on shit you can build in 20 minutes with parts laying around the shop. Why fuck with the guy? If you didnt have anything intelligent to add, why even post?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit tempting me. </div></div>
what the hell ? Say what u want u r probably just a tree hugging liberal p.o.s with no life, job, or education and that why you talking crap about somebody trying to learn about something they have little to no experience with. Real cool dude! </div></div>

With "comprehension" skills like that,it is readily apparent how the most basic of handloading practices went well over your head.

I do find it curious however,that you wish to brag about it.

Bragging? I am trying to tell how new I am to this I guess you just don't understand. I am a machinest not a gunsmith . I am self taught by what I do so sorry if I ask a few "stupid" questions but I bet there is some things that I do know about and if I don't I will find them out . Let me ask you this do you know everything about motors ? I bet not ! That's what I do so of you had any questions about what lift should go with your cams should I think you was stupid after all that is what questions are for

Run silent and take notes.

You've been led to water.

Man I am not saying I better or smarter because I am not like that but if you ever want to shoot, race, or have an iq test hit me up . U r just a plain out Jack ass quit posting on my post please

You must be rather fond of losing.

I find it curious that you'd brag about that as well,though again...I'm not suprised.

Seriously y r u such a pain in the ass . I just ask questions. I can tell that all u want is trouble so I am done! But thanks for the arguments it's been real

You are in over your head and I am not...though it's far more lopsided than that.

Hey jasonk, I'm thinking oilyowl needs a time out, sure some other wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Jray is a good kid just asking questions to do it right. Last I checked that's what this site is about. And for what ever its worth, I am a tree hugging liberal, highly educated, money hungry yuppie who drives a hybrid and drinks starbucks while browsing this site on my MAC laptop. But what can I say I like guns! I like to shoot and I like hanloading, I find it all rather relaxing. So oily lay of JRAY and go shove your head up your ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey jasonk, I'm thinking oilyowl needs a time out, sure some other wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Jray is a good kid just asking questions to do it right. Last I checked that's what this site is about. And for what ever its worth, I am a tree hugging liberal, highly educated, money hungry yuppie who drives a hybrid and drinks starbucks while browsing this site on my MAC laptop. But what can I say I like guns! I like to shoot and I like hanloading, I find it all rather relaxing. So oily lay of JRAY and go shove your head up your ass. </div></div>
thanks alot and sorry for the liberal remark. Lol I am verymoney hungry myself

Jray,

Just sit back and laugh. You have been spurred by a professional dick....AKA NOBODY....

Apparently he just likes to jack with people....

Dont sweat it.

If facts trouble you,feel free to scroll past my Posts.

Should facts interest you,feel free to take notes as it is gratis.

You'll do no better.(hint)

For conversation,money grows on trees.

MeSpruceTwo.jpg

Oily is that you old ugly ass sitting on that wood, from the tone of your comments I got the feeling that your the type to enjoy a good solid piece of wood on your ass, you know not that there is anything wrong with that just had a hunch.

Pardon my again horning you up,but admittedly,you've good taste.

How many feet did that thing scale out? Seeing you are a cutter explains a lot I've heard about you. I grew up in Southern Oregon and know a lot of cutters. You guys live in a pretty cut and dried world (pun intended)
laugh.gif

You probably scour clearcuts I made,glassing for Deer and Elk.

I'd imagine I've road in a crummy with more than a few gents you know. Big Wood,is a small world.

The epic tree hugger win.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For conversation,money grows on trees.

MeSpruceTwo.jpg
</div></div>

Oh I can top that,if only obviously.

I do recall the thread years ago of some of yours and other heres work. It was incredible to say the least. To bad it is gone now. Would love to have someone start another back up again.

I've always lived in The Good Old Days and had the good sense to appreciate same in the moment.

Life is rather good.

Keep it up Oily, Good having you back to tend the flock of newbs thats been round here lately

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it up Oily, Good having you back to tend the flock of newbs thats been round here lately </div></div>
What's more pathetic than being a professional Dickhead,poster,knowitall,condescending asshole?
A fist bumping thataboy admirer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it up Oily, Good having you back to tend the flock of newbs thats been round here lately </div></div>
What's more pathetic than being a professional Dickhead,poster,knowitall,condescending asshole?
A fist bumping thataboy admirer. </div></div>

No, actually it's a jealous pussy who has his panties in a bunch cuz his feelers got hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it up Oily, Good having you back to tend the flock of newbs that's been round here lately </div></div>
A fist bumping thataboy admirer. </div></div>

Somebody has sand in their vagina.

Edit to add that sense he's returned, ALL you posts have been in direct regard to calling him an "Ass" or the like and berating those that might agree with him or his point of view.

Your so far out of you league it's pathetic. Good luck, you'll need it.