• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED HELP WITH A BUILD

DIESEL758

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
texas, san antonio
I need some help with a build, i need some suggestions on a AR build, iam looking for a good upper and lower and where to buy a barrel. i am looking to build a gun that resembles a SASS from DPMS or ARMALITE. Something that will reach out past 600yrds and no prob. killing a deer or hog. 308 cal.

Re: NEED HELP WITH A BUILD

Well...first you need to decide which platform you want to run: Armalite vs. DPMS/KAC/POF/etc.

The primary difference between the platforms is the magazine. Armalite uses their own mag setup and currently, there is no aftermarket source for their mags. The mag cost for the Armalite pattern is a little more expensive than the DPMS platform, but the Armalite mags are 100% reliable and built to last a long time even with field use/abuse.

The DPMS pattern can use any number of mags, including DPMS factory, KAC factory, C-Products and Magpul LR20 PMAGs.

The other thing to be aware of is that only some parts/accessories are interchangeable between the platforms while others are proprietary to each platform. For example, barrels/extensions (with some argument) and handguards differ with both platforms.

Once you have chosen a platform, folks here can easily recommend sources for components, including receivers (U/L), barrels, BCG's, handguards/free-float tubes, triggers, etc.

Both are excellent semi-auto platforms to build on (I have used both extensively for personal builds and rifles I have put together for friends/colleagues)...just decide which you prefer.

I am leaning more towards the DPMS type build. If i want to build from the ground up what would the part list consist of, i know i need to start off with a upper and a lower, what is the diff between the A3 and A4 upper little confused on that one. I would like the build to cost no more than 1500 with out optics i have that covered.

Its expensive but go with the Larue OBR. I shot against some guys at the sniper comp at Benning and the shooter and spotter cleaned house each using the OBR. They are the only team to also make there cold bore 800M shot on a larue target with 10+MPH full value wind. Comp was a real eye opener for all of us using KAC.

a complete upper normaly includes a BCG. My current build is knocking on 2k before optics