• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with a scope purchase.

jonboyhst

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2024
Park City Ky,
Hello, I'm looking for the perfect scope for my LaRue 18" 6.5 Grendel, be mostly hunting varmints in Kentucky, here you be lucky to find a 500 yard shot. mostly be shooting from 100 yards to 400 yards. looking for best bang for the buck for my budget of 500.00 to 1000.00, let me add we have been researching the Hide and without your help the right scope for me seems to be a 3-18x50 from my research, maybe the Burris or Athlon, I am not sure. Thank you so much for your time and support.

The px here is your friend. Plenty of used optics in that range just pick what you like

Arken 5-25
Burris XTR 3-18
Bushnell DMRs

Thank you for helping me, You like the Burris over this scope, Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x56i Ballistic BDC Riflescope 50411​

Yes, I don't like BDC reticles. They limit you to whatever it was calibrated for, or you have to figure out what weird drops match the preset tensions. I prefer standard MIL or MOA that way it's easy to figure out your drops no matter what cartridge you are shooting.

Let's get more into what you're hunting?

Are you primarily shooting coyotes? Do you carry a shotgun on every stand? How many shot opportunities are way inside of 100y? How many are beyond 300y?

The Leica isn’t a BDC reticle, it’s a 5 mil tree with .2 mil hash marks. Once again the village idiot doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I have one and just got the XTR3 and they aren’t even comparable glass and build quality wise. The Leica blows it out of the water.

I followed the link to the Leica, and the reticle is called "ballistic BDC", so...... maybe the idiot hat can be passed around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_193853_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_193853_Chrome.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 25
I followed the link to the Leica, and the reticle is called "ballistic BDC", so...... maybe the idiot hat can be passed around.
It's called bdc but it's not, it's just a .2 mil tree at max power sfp.
As far as sfp hunting scopes go it's probably one of the best. For the FOV people out there I can see the end of my 24" barrel in the scope at 3 power.
Turrets are in mil with good clicks and a zero stop.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
It's called bdc but it's not, it's just a .2 mil tree at max power sfp.
As far as sfp hunting scopes go it's probably one of the best. For the FOV people out there I can see the end of my 24" barrel in the scope at 3 power.
Turrets are in mil with good clicks and a zero stop.
I have no idea what it has. I just saw where someone was called "the village idiot" for calling it a bdc reticle, then the europtic description called it a "ballistic BDC reticle".

Reactions: DubfromGA and FuhQ
BDC means bullet drop compensation, any reticle you can use for holds is bullet drop compensating. It doesn’t mean it’s a fudd style reticle.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.png
    IMG_0531.png
    633.4 KB · Views: 58
The Leica isn’t a BDC reticle, it’s a 5 mil tree with .2 mil hash marks. Once again the village idiot doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I have one and just got the XTR3 and they aren’t even comparable glass and build quality wise. The Leica blows it out of the water.
WOW, the Leica is that good? I wonder why everyone thinks its a BDC and I believe the manufacture calls it a BDC? Thank you.

Let's get more into what you're hunting?

Are you primarily shooting coyotes? Do you carry a shotgun on every stand? How many shot opportunities are way inside of 100y? How many are beyond 300y?
Yes Sir, more coyotes then anything, no shotguns and no stands, I usually hunt on ground or from my sons house. my targets in the past was from 100 yards to 300 yards. I never shot a live target passed 300 yards in my life. The farms we own you can get out to 800 yards in a few areas and it would be nice to have that option, most live targets in my area will never get past 400 to 500 yards. 80% of time in my area you be shooting between 100 and 300 yards. The rifle is a LaRue 6.5 Grendel so 800 yard kill would be possible. maybe I should be shopping for a 800 yard or long range scope?

It literally says "BDC" right in the fucking link. How goddamn stupid are you?

I have no idea what it has. I just saw where someone was called "the village idiot" for calling it a bdc reticle, then the europtic description called it a "ballistic BDC reticle".
RedneckButtFucker likes to call me the village idiot because the thinks he knows more about this shit than anyone else ever in existence, and that he always knows what's best, better than you do, and that he's used everything ever made, and that what he uses is the greatest thing ever, and what you use is garbage, unless it's exactly what he uses or likes. When the fact is, he's just a halfwit narcissistic assclown that thinks he's better than everyone simply because he's a bottom-pack comp shooter with an undeserved ego.

See, I was thinking the other way. I hunt coyotes year round in TN, so our areas are probably very similar. Our coyotes are just not going to expose themselves 800y away, or even 500y away. Our coyotes are almost never going to be more than 200y from cover. They will run the trees or the creek bottom around until they can cut their exposure to an absolute minimum. I kill way more inside of 100y than outside of 200y. I have used different 3-18's for a few years, and they are excellent, but even 3x can be too much on coyotes running up close. I'm running an lvpo 1-10× with a 35mm tube right now, and I think it might be the way to go for our terrain. I can shoot 400y easy on 10x, and it's great when they pop out at 50'.

This scope was not even on my Radar. you think this scope would hang with the Burris XTR or the Meopta Optika6 line of scopes?

I’ve only owned one Meopta, the MeoTac 3-12x50, and was not a big fan. The Meotac is a more expensive scope than the optika6. I can’t imagine the Leica not having the best glass of any scope currently at 1k or under. The Leica has superb illumination that is perfect for varmint hunting. It is a tiny dot, that is daylight visible on the highest setting. You also get a good eyebox and field of view. The Burris is probably the way to go if FFP or max power is a priority, otherwise I’d go with Leica. If you are on the fence buy the Leica and don’t mount it. Eurooptics will do a full refund with a $15 fee.

It literally says "BDC" right in the fucking link. How goddamn stupid are you?

Pretty bold calling someone stupid when you’re too stupid to see that it clearly shows a tree reticle in the picture in the link. I have experience with that optic and own one and you don’t and are making a dumbass assumption on something you clearly don’t understand. Just like you don’t understand how generic the definition of BDC is because you’re an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
I’ve only owned one Meopta, the MeoTac 3-12x50, and was not a big fan. The Meotac is a more expensive scope than the optika6. I can’t imagine the Leica not having the best glass of any scope currently at 1k or under. The Leica has superb illumination that is perfect for varmint hunting. It is a tiny dot, that is daylight visible on the highest setting. You also get a good eyebox and field of view. The Burris is probably the way to go if FFP or max power is a priority, otherwise I’d go with Leica. If you are on the fence buy the Leica and don’t mount it. Eurooptics will do a full refund with a $15 fee.
Thank you so much.

The Leica really does have great illumination especially for hunting. It gets super dim for low light and is just a dot in the center as mentioned. It also gets nuclear bright if that’s your thing. It’s rare to have perfect execution of both ends of illumination, it’s usually one of the other.

See, I was thinking the other way. I hunt coyotes year round in TN, so our areas are probably very similar. Our coyotes are just not going to expose themselves 800y away, or even 500y away. Our coyotes are almost never going to be more than 200y from cover. They will run the trees or the creek bottom around until they can cut their exposure to an absolute minimum. I kill way more inside of 100y than outside of 200y. I have used different 3-18's for a few years, and they are excellent, but even 3x can be too much on coyotes running up close. I'm running an lvpo 1-10× with a 35mm tube right now, and I think it might be the way to go for our terrain. I can shoot 400y easy on 10x, and it's great when they pop out at 50'.
from my experience you are 100% correct, sounds like our terrain is about the same. I own a 12" LaRue SBR, in 556 with a sandman-s, that would be a nice 1-10 setup for 50 to 200 yards. what 1-10 you recommend for hunting?

The Leica really does have great illumination especially for hunting. It gets super dim for low light and is just a dot in the center as mentioned. It also gets nuclear bright if that’s your thing. It’s rare to have perfect execution of both ends of illumination, it’s usually one of the other.
Sounds like you can't go wrong with this Leica

The eyebox and field of view and great glass with a daylight dot, sounds like winner!

Reactions: A.Redd
Sounds like you can't go wrong with this Leica

The eyebox and field of view and great glass with a daylight dot, sounds like winner!

The only quirky thing about it is either an oversight or error on their part on the markings on the windage turret. The turret is marked MRAD and dials .1MRAD but the minors and majors on the turret itself are laid out like it was an MOA turret so there’s three minors between the majors so major to major you’re dialing .4 mils and there’s no no markings other than 0. If you were dialing wind all the time it would either slow you down or you’d probably not dial it correctly on occasion but this isn’t that type of optic.

Other than that the thing is phenomenal. The glass is basically identical to S&B PMII glass as far as combination of resolution, brightness, and colors. The eyebox is how you’d imagine a 56mm with 15x max power and a long tube design to be, huge. There’s no distortion if you’re not perfectly centered or anything.

I’m going to buy a second one before they sell out.

from my experience you are 100% correct, sounds like our terrain is about the same. I own a 12" LaRue SBR, in 556 with a sandman-s, that would be a nice 1-10 setup for 50 to 200 yards. what 1-10 you recommend for hunting?
I'm really enjoying a sig msr right now. Cheap too. Works really well for this.

The only quirky thing about it is either an oversight or error on their part on the markings on the windage turret. The turret is marked MRAD and dials .1MRAD but the minors and majors on the turret itself are laid out like it was an MOA turret so there’s three minors between the majors so major to major you’re dialing .4 mils and there’s no no markings other than 0. If you were dialing wind all the time it would either slow you down or you’d probably not dial it correctly on occasion but this isn’t that type of optic.

Other than that the thing is phenomenal. The glass is basically identical to S&B PMII glass as far as combination of resolution, brightness, and colors. The eyebox is how you’d imagine a 56mm with 15x max power and a long tube design to be, huge. There’s no distortion if you’re not perfectly centered or anything.

Im sold, gonna pick one up. thank you so much for your time! you have any recommendations on a 1-10 or 1-8 in my mind would be better, for short range varmints

Im sold, gonna pick one up. thank you so much for your time! you have any recommendations on a 1-10 or 1-8 in my mind would be better, for short range varmints

I like the Vudu 1-10 a lot, I’ve got two of them one of which is actually for sale in the classifieds. The LE5 reticle is a great combination of something you can pick up on low end and also have center crosshair and tree dots that aren’t thick AF. I had the Vortex 1-10 prior and bought one and ended up selling the Vortex to buy another. The NF ATACR is good too but the reticle is heavier.

I have read a 1-6 or 1-8 is way better?
Might be. This is the only model I've tried. It's not going to knock your socks off with glass quality, but it does pretty well. If you have the budget for it NF, Trijicon, the Vudu greats great reviews.

I like the Vudu 1-10 a lot, I’ve got two of them one of which is actually for sale in the classifieds. The LE5 reticle is a great combination of something you can pick up on low end and also have center crosshair and tree dots that aren’t thick AF. I had the Vortex 1-10 prior and bought one and ended up selling the Vortex to buy another. The NF ATACR is good too but the reticle is heavier.
If you had the money and could go over 1000.00 what scope would you choose over the Leica?

1500 - 2000
Here's some good options in that price range...

Or, you could save about $300 (maybe more if you contact @Euro.Connor ) and get one of their "like-new" demo scopes (open box) that are basically brand new, just opened packaging, and discounted pretty heavy, but still have full warranty like a new scope.

I bet Connor could get you under $2K on one of these... If so, they're solid scopes. Excellent glass. I have a 6-36x version.

• Love
Reactions: Euro.Connor

Probably an ATACR 4-16x42 MIL-XT or MK5 3.6-18 PR2 for your uses. I’d try a MK4 4.5-18 PR2 also.
The Steiner T6Xi Series is an excellent choice. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks
thank you

Here's some good options in that price range...

Or, you could save about $300 (maybe more if you contact @Euro.Connor ) and get one of their "like-new" demo scopes (open box) that are basically brand new, just opened packaging, and discounted pretty heavy, but still have full warranty like a new scope.

I bet Connor could get you under $2K on one of these... If so, they're solid scopes. Excellent glass. I have a 6-36x version.

Thank you so much for your time. you guys are great and really giving me a good education.

that's really impressive the next step up would be the ATacR, That Leica must be a gem of a scope

Well it is a $1600 optic (would be $1700 if it carried over to 2024) so comparing it as a sub $1K optic isn’t very accurate. It’s being closed out because it was poorly marketed and the fudds that buy scopes like that buy MOA. It’s a great optic without a doubt.