• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need Help With AR

TapoutSniper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
North Carolina
I'm having some major problems out of my DPMS Sweet 16... I purchased it new over the summer and I'd say its only seen about 150-200 rounds. I have a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5X44mm mounted on it with Weaver Tatical Rings. Slinging Hornady 75gr HPBT. Everything has loctite, and torqued as far as scope mounting goes. This gun has been a 1/2" MOA gun up until yesterday. I missed a very easy 50 yard shot at a doe yesterday evening. I shot it this morning to check it out and see if my scope had been knocked off... At 100 yards I managed to squeeze off about a 8" group. WTF? I've dissassembled it and everthing internally looks perfect... muzzle crown is fine. Barrel is clean. All ring and windage screws are still torqued. Could my scope be shot? Or is there something else I need to check? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need Help With AR

scope would be the first thing id check, pull the one on there off and test it with a KNOWN good scope, and then start the process of elimination

Yeah, sounds like your scope shit the bed. FWIW I've experienced a very similar problem with a varmint rifle; it went from shooting solid .3s to 3" groups overnight! Something in the scope broke.

I mounted one of my leupolds on it yesterday evening and shot a 3/8" ctr-ctr group... I guess Nikon will be getting an early christmas present!

tapout,

Nikon has good reputation concerning scope repairs. I have a Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 myself and it has been a very reliable scope. I know it is a discontinued model, but I would pursue having it repaired. Think it costs $20 to send in to be repaired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">scope would be the first thing id check, pull the one on there off and test it with a KNOWN good scope, and then start the process of elimination </div></div>

+1... Always best to have a good starting point. And this sounds like a good place to start. NIKON is a standup company. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

When I was actively shooting benchrest, I always carried a "spare" scope. I had one go out on me at the "Super Shoot" one year and I bought a new Weaver T36X. It's a pretty good scope for the money.

I'm glad you found the problem quickly and had another scope to finish the deer season with.

I've got the same rifle but I put an ACOG TSN as a designated marksmen rifle and have never looked back. Might want to consider it if you ever change your scope. You don't want to be within 600 yards of the muzzle end that rifle with 77 grain Match ammo. I shoot everything from groundhogs to deer..uh deer like silhouettes....one of the most reliable rigs I've got.

I'm gonna give Nikon a call tomorrow and see what they say... Hopefully I can get it repaired fairly quick. Thanks guys!