• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with boots-Bates

M21guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
WI
Okay guys here is the deal. I'm a heavier guy to begin with. I need good support. While my left foot is your typical 12 wide, my right foot is slightly wider since the surgery on it. I don't have problems with my left foot being uncomfortable in anything, but my right one is in pain. I tend to put a lot of pressure on the outside of my right foot near my small toe. The incision from the surgery is in that area also. It took forever to heal. I have custom insoles to try and take pressure off it, but they still suck. I need really good footwear. I had Bates shoes while I was in the Corps. While standing in formation for long change of command ceremonies they were pretty pleasant then. I know Bates makes a comfortable shoe. So how's the boot?

I'm thinking about Bates Delta-8 Side Zip Boot with their iCS system to customize my boot to me. I have a few questions.

I destroy soles. Are these boots soles going to hold up for a year or better, mainly walking?

Anyone use this iCS system? Does it help your comfort?

How is a side zip boot? I've never used one. Not sure if I'll like it. Speed lace was always my thing.

How is traction and slipping?

Does this boot self clean in muddy conditions?

Is there anything better for me I should be looking at?

I was also looking at Blackhawk boots, but I'm interested in this iCS adjustment to maybe take pressure off my foot in the area damaged. Your thoughts and advice please.

Re: Need help with boots-Bates

I am not a fan so I don't own any but I can answer one part. Something else to look at: Danner. For ME. It is the end all be all boot. I am a big guy and stand on concrete for 8 hrs or better. The downsides for me were weight but the comfort makes it worthwhile. I also really like Original Swat. Big difference in price between the two but both are good. 1st choice danner, 2nd O.S.

Just an opinion. Try stuff on. Only way to know.

Ps I converted about 15 percent of my coworkers to danners and they love'em

I would try them on if I could. No place to do that around here that I've found. We don't even have a real shoe store close anymore. I'm aware of Danner boots. I believe they are also popular with the academy students. I'll definitely keep my options open and will investigate all my choices before ordering. Thanks

I found a store reasonably close in IL to go see some boots. They will order in the Bates boot I was interested in in my size and they have Danner, and Magnum on hand to also to look at while I'm there next week. I'm leaning towards the Bates, because no one else offers anything that tries to relieve some of the pressure off the area of my foot I need. They are all basically normal boots with normal insoles. While any old boot works on my left foot for comfort, my right foot has constant shooting pain. With a prior knee injury on the same leg, life sucks. We'll see...

Bates arent great for a bigger guy. The side zip isnt gonna give you the best support. Im on my 3rd pair, the sole of the boot keeps comming off at the heal. The one good thing about bates is if something breaks, such as the sole comming off, they will send you a new pair.

With your foot injury, it really seems like you need a solid boot, side zips are good for getting in and out of them quickly. I have a paid of OTB Bootistans which are great. Check out some of the boots reviewed on militarymorons.com . He does an awesome job of reviewing gear.

I went through 3 pairs of Bates before I learned. They just didn't last for me. The last pair I had was falling apart within a year. I will admit, I am hard on boots. I go hunting often and they get wet and muddy. I wore them every day. For someone who doesn't get out as much they may last 2 years. The soles are very soft, which is great for traction, but they wear through quickly. I only weigh about 170 and the heels were worn flat within that year. When they were new I loved them, they had lots of support, even with the side zip, and I just felt confident in them. If they were built a bit more rugged, I'd still be wearing a pair.
-Dan

+1 for Danner. I've had Bates and will never own those POS "boots" again. I had 2 or 3 pair and they fell apart in a few months. I'm on my 4th pair of Danners. Not because they are worn out but because the department I work for gives us a generous uniform allowance
grin.gif

Its intersting to hear that a lot of people's bates fell apart on them.

Long story short, it was hell getting Bates Delta 8 boots where I could at least go try them on. No one in 100 square miles had anything on hand in my size if they carried Bates or the Delta 8s at all. Finally I broke down and went to the closest place that had the Delta 6 boots.

My feet have been in agony with my Nikes that gone to shit in less than 2 months and I really wanted something to take the pain away. The store I went to was pretty awesome having quite a bit to choose from, but it was the Bates ICS system I was interested in after all my research. I need to take the weight off that outer step of my foot and Bates ICS should promise it could do that.

Trying on the Bates Delta 6 boots after I adjusted the gel disk to the proper setting for me, the results were incredible. Instant pain relief. So I bought them. At home here I replaced the paper thing insoles with my custom one the VA made for me and I'm quite pleased.

I tend to kill a boots sole rather quickly in anything so we'll see how they do. I like the thread pattern of the Delta boots. If the last a year, I'd be overjoyed.

I didn't know what to expect with the side zip. I actually kind of like it. We'll see how that holds up.

I really wanted the taller 8" upper, but the 6" they had is go for 95% of the time, I guess. The over all price I paid for them, was reasonable. Give it a month or so at work, If they fair well and I'm still happy. I'll get a second par in the Delta 8.

Bottom line I didn't want to go another day in pain. It appears thus far, I might have to.

Thanks for your insight and help.

Just an update on the boots. I did end up with the Delta 6" boot from Bates. I have wore them every place. Ankle support is okay for most day to day situations, but moving across a chisel plowed field, the 8" would have been better for me.

I love the side zip. That feature is great. It seems to hold up.

A couple months with them and they show no wear on the soles. That's all surfaces. A set of Wolverines would have been nothing by now.

The comfort, oh the comfort of these boots. That is where it is at. I got them all dialed in just for me. I'm quite pleased by my choice so far. They do for me what I'd hoped they would.

Only down side to them thus far. Well not having the 8" like I wanted in the first place, and stepping in dog shit. It is hard to get a clod of that out of the lugs. Other than that, excellent boots.

might try some oakley's in the future, I hear they are comfy... though not always hell-for-stout.

FWIW, i've had two pairs of Danner TFX and one pair of Acadias. The Acadias were a no-go for my feet from the start, the toe box is too small for me.

The first pair of TFX were the desert tan ones, they were the most comfortable thing i've ever owned, hands down. Alas, they showed a defect when about a month old, so I sent them back on warranty. I SHOULD have called danner directly... I let Cabela's handle it since I got them there. BIG mistake.

I had to settle for the Mojave boot as my replacement because Cabela's is run by r-tards these days. They don't fit quite as nice, they are a bit narrower than the other ones. I thought they were the same, but apparently not.

The biggest help for me was getting insoles that you heat up and mold/trim to your specific foot/shoe. They are AWESOME, I will put them in all my boots going forward.

I've got some Asolos right now too (hikers, not combat boots), they are very nice- but after 6+ hours in them i'm dying to take them off like no other. So it's hit & miss.

Danner is a nice USA made boot,a nd I know its going against what you're looking for. But you could also try Thorogood commando II
s. I have those and they arent bad IMO for the price.

You can buy them from bootpro.com and they will send two pairs at once for sizing. Not sure how it works 100% but it is on their site.

I went to REI and was "fitted" for boots - wound up with Asolo. My Partner bought a fresh pair of his favorite Danner boot. We both broke our boots in for over a month prior to the big show.

Day 1: 7 miles with 40lb packs on smoothish very hilly terrain.

Me: Ready for day 2
Him: 5 blisters per foot, feet turned to hamburger.

I am a 260 pounder, and I have spent a lot of years working on my feed in all kinds of conditions. Cold, slipery, sloped and muddy Redwings have been a life saver for me. http://www.redwingshoes.com most are made in the USA. I never wore out a set in less than 24 months. The time I needed a new set after 24 months I was working in a stamping plant walking through sharp sheet metal scrap daily. Most have lasted three years.

The first day I ever wore a set of Redwings (about 15 years ago) I almost cried at the end of the day because I was so happy that my feet did not hurt at all. I had thought that dailyfoot pain was a permanent part of my life. Redwing fixed that for me.

I do not work for Redwing, nor do I have any financial interest in Redwing.

Another endorsement for Danner.
After February boot camp, mct, school, then immediate deployment to Fallujah in fall of 04, my junlges were worn the hell out. My mom ordered me some Danner USMC boots as a welcome home present and I still have them. They are damn fantastic. The comfort is night and day with bates or whichever brand that I wore for 7 months in the Iraq winter.

The only complaint I could have and its only really a half complaint, is that the tongue is sewn to the sides of the boot. So you can only loosen it up as far as the tongue will open and it can be a PITA to get on if you're worn out. Half complaint because you never have to worry about the tongue wandering over to bother the side of your feet. I'm real picky about my feet, and Danners are simply awesome

I'm retired (20+) military and have worn all sorts of boots. The bates with the side zipper feel great, they feel like your wearing tennis shoes. But, they provide no support what so ever. They are too soft and have too much cushion on the sides and don't hold up well at all. The soles fall apart really fast. If you are just wearing them now and then, they are just fine. But, if you are on your feet all day and needing support, go elsewhere.

+1 for danner ...... great boots .... great support ..... replaceable soles.