• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with decision DTA SRS vs my GAP

TrickPony29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2005
CONUS
Hey guys I'm in a bad way right now as I know most of you can relate
cool.gif
. Recently I have come under the spell of the DTA SRS rifles and could use some input. Most of the shooting I do is just paper punching under 500yds but occasionally get to shoot further. I'll be leaving the military soon and hopefully be able to shoot more often at distance. This is a two part question.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Part one</span>- As I said above I've got a real bad itch for a DTA SRS in 308. Right now I've got a Gap built on a Surgeon action and I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of what I currently have and a SRS. I'm going to have to sell my Gap if I decide on a SRS. I've done a good deal of research both here and abroad but I haven't gotten the chance to get my hands on one to see how I like it. I would like some of your guy's thoughts on the rifle and my decision.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Part two</span>- The second part of my question is if I do decide to sell my Gap in order to fund a SRS what would be a fair asking price? The specs are as follows:
Surgeon 591 Repeater S/A 308 KMW Bolt Knob
24" Bartlein 1/11 Target Crown
Manners MCS-T2 stock OD Green
Badger M-4 Trigger Guard
Remington Trigger set at 3 lbs
All metal cerakoted in FDE
193 rnds down the tube
Entire build was done by GAP and I believe it came out to about $3800. I don't have the build sheet with me as I'm stationed on Camp Lejeune NC and the rifle is back home in PA. If theres any other info you need to answer my questions feel free to post here or PM me. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated in making such a big decision guys.
Thanks in advance,
Drew

Re: Need help with decision DTA SRS vs my GAP

If 308 is going to be your only caliber in the SRS, I would stay with the GAP. It is probably more accurate (just a guess), and you won't have to fuck with selling it.
I think that the beauty of the SRS is the ability to switch calibers. I have one with a 338 and 300WM conversions. That way I can practice with the cheaper 300 ammo and feel good on top of the gun when I fire up the lapua. I will say that its length is a pretty cool feature.

Thanks for the reply dtac. Those are two of the pro's I considered with the SRS: The shorter length which is as you said very cool, especially since I plan on getting a 308 suppressor soon and the other being if I decide to go to a larger caliber(338) down the road I can just buy the conversion. Also as you said selling might be a headache. I've been watching the firearms for sale forum and rifles are moving slow right now. Still open to more suggestions and info guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If 308 is going to be your only caliber in the SRS, I would stay with the GAP.

</div></div>

Although I have no experience with either rifles, I would completely agree with that statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If 308 is going to be your only caliber in the SRS, I would stay with the GAP. It is probably more accurate (just a guess), and you won't have to fuck with selling it.
I think that the beauty of the SRS is the ability to switch calibers. I have one with a 338 and 300WM conversions. That way I can practice with the cheaper 300 ammo and feel good on top of the gun when I fire up the lapua. I will say that its length is a pretty cool feature.

</div></div>

I agree 100%. I know it is tempting to sell someting to get something else, but you will regret it later IMHO. Just save some money and wait a little longer so you can have both rifles.

Sound advice fellas. I think you've talked me out of it... for a while atleast
grin.gif
. Maybe down the road when I'm ready for a 338 I'll reconsider my options.

Thanks,
Drew

I definitely think your GAP surgeon build will probably beat the SRS in a side by side accuracy comparison. Still, I don't think you'd have a very hard time selling that rig. GAP + Surgeon = easy sell. Granted, you may not get as much as money you'd like, but I would think you won't have a hard time finding buyers.

Since you're at Lejeune, I think if you ask around the site you might find a Hide member with an SRS that would let you meet him at the range and shoot. You'll find out which you like better pretty easily that way.

Very true Bubba. Right now I'm considering the more reasonable option of sticking with the GAP but getting my barrel chopped to 20" and threaded.