• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with elevation!

notez2beat

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2017
Hoping you guys can make sure I am getting this straight. I currently have a scope with 60 moa of elevation adjustment on a 20 moa base. Shooting out to 1,500 I ran out of dial, I only have about 37 moa usable. I need more like 90 including reticle if necessary to get to a mile.

I ordered a 40 moa base and was considering upgrading to a scope with 110 moa of elevation. Is this the right move? Is there some formula to see what usable elevation I would have with the new set up?

Say I stuck with the 60 and just added the 40 base, would it give me a true 20 more usable moa?

Quick answer? Maybe?
It should be that easy but isn't always. I would swap to a scope with more available elevation though if switching to a 40 moa base since there is a chance you won't be able to get a zero with the 40 moa base and even if you did image sometimes gets degraded that close to the limits of travel.

60 moa total and a 40 moa base will probably make it difficult to zero at 100.
Usually a rail with half your scope total is the max you can run and get a normal zero.
I run a scope with 110 MOA available and a 45 moa rail.
Can easily dial a mile with most 6.5’s.

With my old vortex HS-T I had the exact same issues as you have now.

Just under 90 moa. I think I got it figured out and with the 110 moa scope, the 40 moa base is okay, plus I still have a 20 moa if I have an issue.