• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help with finn mosin

Deej

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
MO
I bought one so could compete with my son's Russian. tried couple loads and couldn't get it to keep anything like a group. when measured barrel got .313, anyone got any tricks to get it to shoot? thanks in advance for any help can give.

You need to use the larger diameter projectiles meant for that bore. Those rifles were chambered with very high quality steel with pretty extreme accuracy requirements from the Finnish Army. What model do you have?

tried the .312 hornady 174 gr and if remember right best could get was like 4" at 100. to be honest don't know enough about them to know which model I have.

I know this will sound silly but check the action screws and the barrel channel in the stock for contact with the barrel.

Pick one from this photo.

I bought one so could compete with my son's Russian. tried couple loads and couldn't get it to keep anything like a group. when measured barrel got .313, anyone got any tricks to get it to shoot? thanks in advance for any help can give.

Theorically, if the barrel slugged at .313, the .312 should be ok but 4" at 100 is a bit much for a Finn. You slugged the barrel yourself?
MJ1's suggestion of checking action's screws is good; you can also carefully inspect the crown and bore.
How is the trigger? It could be another factor.
If you were to shoot from a sub-MOA rifle, how would you do; sub-MOA. MOA, 2 MOA?
You may also try various surplus and factory ammo. When you say you tried a couple of loads, do you mean reloads? A couple may not be enough to find what works in your rifle.
You have few more checks to do, before assuming the rifle is a bad shooter.
No matter what, I wish you good luck and hope your rifle will end up being a shooter.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

I tried .308 bullets, but found the popular advice about using '.303 cal' bullets to be well worth considering. I use fired PPU and Win brass, HDY '.303' 150gr SP Interlock bullets, 49.0gr of IMR-4064, and a CCI-200 primer, loaded with RCBS Dies on a Dillon RL550B to a 3.025" OAL for a hunting load; it shoots well in my'43 Izshevsk 91/30. Other info can be found in my 7.62x54R Cheap Shooter topic, but bear in mind, I'm still really just a beginner with the Mosin-Nagant.

Greg

Last edited:
If you reload, you might also want to try Lapua D46 and D166 bullets.
Rifle was made for them, and both are still in production

I know this will sound silly but check the action screws and the barrel channel in the stock for contact with the barrel.

Pick one from this photo.

mine looks the top one.

Theorically, if the barrel slugged at .313, the .312 should be ok but 4" at 100 is a bit much for a Finn. You slugged the barrel yourself? slugged it myself
MJ1's suggestion of checking action's screws is good; you can also carefully inspect the crown and bore.
How is the trigger? It could be another factor. the trigger seems pretty good for what it is, not a k31 or 03a3 but pretty good.
If you were to shoot from a sub-MOA rifle, how would you do; sub-MOA. MOA, 2 MOA? my fn shoots half in at 300. my 03 is half minute, highwall quarter minute and bot k31's ar well under a minute. they might do better, but that is with me shooting them.
You may also try various surplus and factory ammo. When you say you tried a couple of loads, do you mean reloads? A couple may not be enough to find what works in your rifle.
You have few more checks to do, before assuming the rifle is a bad shooter.
No matter what, I wish you good luck and hope your rifle will end up being a shooter.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

thanks for the help and will be checking a few things after get son all set up for his match.

tried the .312 174 hornady but might have to venture out. didn't try 4064 powder though. tried imr 4350 and n160 if remember right.

Dj
All the best to your son for his match. What kind of match and what is he is he shooting?
Good shooting.
Ombre noire
he's shooting a custom 260 in a tactical team match down in tn next month. he is shooting with a friend of ours that is building the rifle. we was suppose to shoot it but I wasn't sure about getting time off for it and he wanted a better partner. and thanks for the good wishes, he's a little nervous, first match not shooting with dad.

What about cast bullets? The Lyman Cast bullet handbook (4th edition) shows a couple loads with three different bullets. They are 180 grain from a Saeco #305 mould, 185 grain from a Lee #C312-185-1R mould and a 200 grain from a Lyman #314299 mould. The book gives 7 different powders for each bullet. Velocities range from 1600 - 2200. Montana Bullet Works offers bullets from all three moulds that you can order to be sized from .311 to .314 (look under the 303 british category). Those of us who also shoot old winchesters etc understand the magic that can happen when you get a bullet sized right for one of those old worn out barrels...