• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with glass and software.... new .408

fracmeister

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2005
Texas
www.troop1960.com
OK, those of you who know my past purchases --- I have a couple GAP and Patriot Arms guns. all tricked out and topped with the lovely Swarovski 5x25 PM IIs

I have just ordered an EDM Arms Windrunner in .408. I am thinking of moving a PMII over to that gun (ang getting something less for one of the .308s) or going up in magnification for the Windrunner.

I am also thinking about getting one of those ballistic computers. I have been calculating bullet drops and so forth more or less by hand the old school way (tables I developed) but then again I hardly ever go past 400 to 500 yards. In fact 300 yds covers about 90% of my shots. I did get to a 1000 yd range and on a calm day was able to ring steel with these .308s and the .260. But not exactly first (or second of third) shots. yea, you guys probably do it with a .22lr.

Now I have a chance to really reach out there so I am looking for the big glass and a ballistics computer/software (other than that overpriced Cheytac one!)

Re: Need help with glass and software.... new .408

lrplinker,

Congrats on new purchase.

Glass: I have always and seems like I will always be a fan of SFP for the extreme long range stuff lol or get fine crosshairs in a FFP. As far as power goes that would depend on what type of shooting you plan on doing. IMO the power range you have right now is more than capable and trust me when I say this....I have tried to super magnifications ones and always find myself going back to the 5.5x-22x NXS and/or 3.8x-22x USO.

Ballistic Computer: How far distance wise do you seriously think you will be going for? And I do not ask that as a "experience factor" question, I ask that because it helps ALOT in providing the proper advice to you in regards of ballistic programs and their respective accuracy and consistancy to the round you firing.

Also--what part of Texas you in? I will be shooting in Texas (Just North of Dryden) a fair amount of time now and could show you a couple different programs, optics, and all the other support equipment it takes for ELR to help you make the best choice for you.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lrplinker,

(snip)Ballistic Computer: How far distance wise do you seriously think you will be going for? And I do not ask that as a "experience factor" question, I ask that because it helps ALOT in providing the proper advice to you in regards of ballistic programs and their respective accuracy and consistancy to the round you firing.

Also--what part of Texas you in? I will be shooting in Texas (Just North of Dryden) a fair amount of time now and could show you a couple different programs, optics, and all the other support equipment it takes for ELR to help you make the best choice for you.

Thanks </div></div>

I don;t realistically think I will be stretching way past 1000. Frankly if I can get to that distance consistently I am going to be happy. Then again, who knows?
I would like something I could also displace my hand calculations with the .308s in the 200-600 yd range.SO Idon;t think I am looking for something that needs to incorporate lunar tides and the population of China, etc.

And I want to thank you for the offer. I am in the Houston area and when it arrives I would love to take you up on the offer!

One more thing---

I used to live in the DFW area and my sife and I go up there all the time. I also head to Utah on occassion to shoot (with family/friends)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Night Force 5.5 x 22 x 56. Why mess with any others </div></div>

1000+

OK now that you have given lil more information of what you expecting to do lol.

Glass: NXS 5.5-22 power or 8-32 power.

Ballistic Programs: Field Firing Solutions will suit your needs.

FWIW: I must say that for the 1000yard or little over that you sure are "over gun" lol, man you could have gotten a different caliber that will perform great AND way cheaper to shoot to meet that criteria. 1000yards is just warming up distance for the 408
smile.gif

LOL O trust me..I am the last one to ridicule you on "over gun", as I am building some big ones too
smile.gif
. I was just providing information.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a .338LM Timberwolf and toped it with a 5.5x22x50 night force. I have ordered this soft ware with the pocket PC. Got he software for 2500 meters. Hope it works as good as they say

http://www.horusvision.com/index.php

</div></div>

I would appreciate your feedbakc on it as I think I have a line on buying this software from a guy who just wound up being "given" the Cheytac ruggedized pda and software.... unfortunately there was a little catch with it involving him going to Yourcousinstan or Mynamistan....he didn;t say for sure

lrplinker:

That ballistic program is very very good, but I think you may be surprised at the Cheytac program price for the "memory stick" version.

The Horus vision has been awarded the US Army and the USMC contracts btw.

I have talked with Dennis at Horus numerous times and he has always been willing to answer any of my questions and provide information even when it did not have anything to do with Horus directly but in regards to ballistics and how programs are written.

Thanks