• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with Larue PredatAR 308 Problems surpressed and Trigger question

chadwickz71

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2022
ennis,tx
Will try to keep this short, I bought a new PredatAR 308 a while back and finally getting it out to shoot. Feeds fine without a can but soon as i put on my Omega 30 it won't shoot more than 1-2rds without jamming. Noticed without the can its throwing the spent case like 1-2'oclock away from the rifle, not 90degree to the side. I've read quite a few threads on this same issue "overgassed" and the people that call Larue say they send them a new buffer spring or tube or whatever but it doesn't fix the problem. Seems like i found a couple threads where people simply go to a Adjustable gas block and that totally fixed the problem. Guessing thats what i have to do... What is the best setup to go with? I don't know that much about gas blocks etc.

It does baffle me that a $3K rifle doesn't have any adjustments there as these companies should know full well that tons of people shoot suppressed. I won't even shoot my AR's unless im surpressed its just a better experience all the way around. I have a DD 308 and it atleast has a flip switch adjustable block for suppressed or not and has never given trouble.

2. Can i change this factory trigger out or is it married to Larue. I put Triggertechs in the DD rifles and they are way better than this larue trigger with all the travel it has in it?

3. Lastly this isn't a big deal because we hog hunt but out of the box my two DD's are .5 moa with i was suprised to find out actually. This Larue is 2moa gun just playing with it, funny thing i bought this rifle as it was supposed to maybe be a smidge step up from DD... Well my experience has been the opposite so far...

Reactions: bfoosh006
I had a 18" predatar 308

Yes you can put a different trigger in but I'd leave it alone

Should be a longer buffer tube so you can put a regular H3 buffer in there to help with overgassing

Larue used to make an adjustable gas block no idea what happened there

Mine shot pretty well with handloads maybe 1-1.5MOA?

Most of what you posted is why I sold mine and got a 716i for a "hog gun", it weighs about the same and shoots about the same except it cost a lot less

Will try to keep this short, I bought a new PredatAR 308 a while back and finally getting it out to shoot. Feeds fine without a can but soon as i put on my Omega 30 it won't shoot more than 1-2rds without jamming. Noticed without the can its throwing the spent case like 1-2'oclock away from the rifle, not 90degree to the side. I've read quite a few threads on this same issue "overgassed" and the people that call Larue say they send them a new buffer spring or tube or whatever but it doesn't fix the problem. Seems like i found a couple threads where people simply go to a Adjustable gas block and that totally fixed the problem. Guessing thats what i have to do... What is the best setup to go with? I don't know that much about gas blocks etc.

It does baffle me that a $3K rifle doesn't have any adjustments there as these companies should know full well that tons of people shoot suppressed. I won't even shoot my AR's unless im surpressed its just a better experience all the way around. I have a DD 308 and it atleast has a flip switch adjustable block for suppressed or not and has never given trouble.

2. Can i change this factory trigger out or is it married to Larue. I put Triggertechs in the DD rifles and they are way better than this larue trigger with all the travel it has in it?

3. Lastly this isn't a big deal because we hog hunt but out of the box my two DD's are .5 moa with i was suprised to find out actually. This Larue is 2moa gun just playing with it, funny thing i bought this rifle as it was supposed to maybe be a smidge step up from DD... Well my experience has been the opposite so far...

Post a picture of your LaRue with the handguard removed.

Reactions: BCP
Update: Im not one to complain i run my own business too... But i called Larue, tech immediately said "oh yeah its a fixed block you need a SLR sentry 7 with .45 pin spacing and your good to go that will fix it, and in our defense if you would have bought one of our suppressors you would be fine without it" Not to be a dick but i just said wow man this is a high end $3k unit why not a flip switch block or something. He said "Oh yeah thats our lower end unit we have them on the OBR's at $4200" I said yeah man but a $100 block to fix this.... ok my bad for not buying the OBR at $4200.

anyways, im atleast glad this will fix it, but geez i don't expect this on a Brand gun that is so highly sought after and recommended. my ignorant self didn't realize the issue that could be there, im not a AR expert to begin with so i put money in a high end name to cover that ignorance. Haha i see how that worked out now.

OK enough said. im just trying to figure out now if i can do the swap or need a gunsmith... im not scared of it and have the tools just never done one before.

Reactions: AustinP69
Update: Im not one to complain i run my own business too... But i called Larue, tech immediately said "oh yeah its a fixed block you need a SLR sentry 7 with .45 pin spacing and your good to go that will fix it, and in our defense if you would have bought one of our suppressors you would be fine without it" Not to be a dick but i just said wow man this is a high end $3k unit why not a flip switch block or something. He said "Oh yeah thats our lower end unit we have them on the OBR's at $4200" I said yeah man but a $100 block to fix this.... ok my bad for not buying the OBR at $4200.

anyways, im atleast glad this will fix it, but geez i don't expect this on a Brand gun that is so highly sought after and recommended. my ignorant self didn't realize the issue that could be there, im not a AR expert to begin with so i put money in a high end name to cover that ignorance. Haha i see how that worked out now.

OK enough said. im just trying to figure out now if i can do the swap or need a gunsmith... im not scared of it and have the tools just never done one before.

And this is why I stay busy...

The Tar isn't designed to be shot suppressed, but it can be adapted to do so.

Is your rifle 2 moa with or without the suppressor?

I see your update, you'll need a new gas tube also. It will be more difficult to try and reuse the existing one due to the ferrule. I assume it has that update, if not it's just the roll pin.

I recommend the buffer+spring combo at the bottom of this page, that will help solve your issues along with the gas block. The block alone probably will not do it.

Last edited:
fixing to post some pics. Man im sorry but a $3k AR not designed to be suppressed in this day in time... come on now.

Im not against buying the buffer+spring but Tech guys over there never mentioned it... Just said drop the Sentry in and adjust it out.... am i supposed to get the XH version as i see its for suppressed weapons specifically?

Here is both sides, and bottom with the 3 allens. i see the roll pin which i have tools for. Im assuming those allens are gonna be blue loctite or worse...

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8735.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8735.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 83
  • thumbnail_IMG_8736.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8736.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 87
  • thumbnail_IMG_8737.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8737.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 83
Here's the deal - traditional non flow through suppressors suck on large frame ARs.

Also, fixed gas blocks are preferable to adjustable gas blocks.

The larue suppressor is very similar to the oss/huxwrx cans.

I got so fed up screwing with AGBs and other tuning crap, I just bought an OSS can for my gas 308. You can probably make your rifle and silencer work, but that fixed gas block is a "feature not a bug".

I personally wouldn't waste time with a high back pressure can and a large frame. Gas to face, dirty crazy fast, vastly decreased reliability, just not worth it.

I can't remember what year the Tar was released, it was a decade ago? It has a pencil barrel, which is for weight reduction. It's not designed to be shot suppressed, and you will have accuracy degradedation with the Tar barrel when you hang a can off the end.

Try shooting it without the can and see how it performs that way you know what the rifle is truly capable of.

The combination of the buffer, spring, and adjustable gas block should get you up and running. I am running the Dominus and the Magnus on mine and this has helped solve my overspeed issues. The spring you want is at the bottom of the page, it's 8.5 oz, and a 308 rifle buffer spring.

Don't touch those Allen screws until you see the locktite start to smoke. I usually hit them with a small map torch quickly, if you use propane your likely to apply more heat than you want to the barrel. Make sure you have some fresh Allen wrenches.

Screenshot_20230905_184724_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: mtrmn
i guess I just missed the memo about the damn predatar….. and why can I buy a damn Daniel defense same time as this gun with a stupid easy flip switch block, flip the thing to suppressed and not have a single jam in two years with the same suppessor? and it And the dd15 I have are .5 Moa with the can. I’ll admit I was impressed but I guess more spoiled to their user friendliness.

gonna Call sentry and this buffer shop tomorrow mmy guess as I’ll sound like a broken record about this rifle

You could swap barrels to the Tobr barrel which has the flip switch. It's not cheap but you'd gain back some accuracy(heavier profile) with the can and have adjustable gas. You'd still likely need the buffer and spring I mentioned.

The DD15, is 556?, small frame function compared to large frame can't really be compared. They are different animals.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
No what i meant was i have a AR15. BUt i also bought a DD DD5 V3 308. FLip swith gas block 16" barrel. Shoots flawless and .5 moa. $400 cheaper if im not mistaken too. I bought the Larue thinking i was taking a little upgrade,,, not big, but little upgrade and just wanted to see what all the talk was about.

Im not dogging the accuracy but compared to the DD 308 with the can there is no comparison stock .

Bought the Tar because i need a walking gun. Im just dogging a company like that, feeling like they should have the option. Heck sell me a Larue adjustable block... they didn't have a inhouse fix, you have to go buy parts. DD shoots right out of the box, no buffer change, flip the switch and go. Larue should do that or offer a inhouse fix on a 3K gun.

Whatever im tired of beating them up. Im going to try to get this thing running, i really like the overall gun!!!!

Bootleg makes a large frame adjustable carrier these days. Might be worth a shot if you don't want to mess with the gas block.

No what i meant was i have a AR15. BUt i also bought a DD DD5 V3 308. FLip swith gas block 16" barrel. Shoots flawless and .5 moa. $400 cheaper if im not mistaken too. I bought the Larue thinking i was taking a little upgrade,,, not big, but little upgrade and just wanted to see what all the talk was about.

Mettee is one the 5 or 6 LaRue Bitchboy's left over on ARF.COM that hang out in the LaRue Industry forums.

Yes it's bullshit that LaRue doesn't disclose these incompatibility issues up front to would be buyers. Don't waste your money on a LaRue Barrel when you can get a custom Bartlein or Krieger spun up for you by Compass Lake built to your exact specifications for $600 compared the mediocre LaRue Barrel that cost $900 plus tax and shipping.

I've been rebarrowing LaRue Rifles for over 10 years now it's not hard.

My question is this, the PredatAR and DD5 V3 are basically the same weight if I remember correctly so why not just keep using the DD5 as your "Walking Gun"?

Larue rifles are a outdated downgrade with shit customer service, if you would have posted this thread in the ARF.COM LaRue forums the handful or Dildo Dust Groupies would have jumped on you like a pack of dogs with Mettee in the front, telling you it's your fault and you're an idiot for not buying the correct "LaRue Rifle"

This is one of my Rebarreled PredatARs with a 18" Bartlein from Compass Lake / 1-10 Twist / Rifle Length Gas. / 5/8x24 Treads / M110 Contour. You'd obviously want a lighter profile or just say fuck it, keep your DD5 and turn the PredatAR into a long range precision set up with a Custom 20" Bartlein CLE Barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The CLE barrels will shoot Sub 1/2 MOA during load development, I'd like to see a Larue barrel with the XTRAXN chamber do that.... Oh Wait!! They can't because of what that bullshit chamber does to your brass rendering it useless because it's so blown out you can't even resize the Fire Formed Brass in a full length sizing die let alone a small base die. Take some of your fired brass and try to resize it.. just make sure you have a tool to removed the case out of your Die after you rip the case head off.

Mark LaRue is banned from Snipershide and ARF.COM, and for good reason. That's why he now peddles his bullshit on Instagram, because on Instagram he can block and control the content in his favor so if anything negative is said about his products he can just block the person and erase what was said.

IMG_20210320_134642576.jpg
IMG_20210320_134621011.jpg
IMG_20210320_134612550.jpg

IMG_20210219_161849532.jpg

IMG_20210219_160533284~2.jpg
IMG_20210219_151940404.jpg
IMG_20210219_150034513.jpg
IMG_20210219_145936115~2.jpg
IMG_20210219_160603411~2.jpg
IMG_20210219_152422417.jpg

Last edited:
You have a few options:

Get a low backpressure/flowthrough can. With large frame AR's this makes a huge difference
Get a Bootleg or Gemtech 308 adjustable carrier (this would be my first choice, least intrusive and one of the cheapest)
Get a BRT gas tube that restricts gas flow, and can be designed to run with a can
Install a AGB

Not knowing the different teirs and features of a rifle is kinda on you bro. If you think $3K is high end for an AR, go look at JP and KAC and get back to us. You should have read the fine print and details/features to ensure shooting suppressed with a conventional can was something that will work out of the box.

You have a few options:

Get a low backpressure/flowthrough can. With large frame AR's this makes a huge difference
Get a Bootleg or Gemtech 308 adjustable carrier (this would be my first choice, least intrusive and one of the cheapest)
Get a BRT gas tube that restricts gas flow, and can be designed to run with a can
Install a AGB

Not knowing the different teirs and features of a rifle is kinda on you bro. If you think $3K is high end for an AR, go look at JP and KAC and get back to us. You should have read the fine print and details/features to ensure shooting suppressed with a conventional can was something that will work out of the box.

Don't listen to this Jackass either, you made a new guy mistake and shit happens. You've already been given the proper advice from LaRue and others. Pick up a heavier buffer and spring and a adjustable .750 Gas Block, and any AGB will do there's absolutely no need to specifically buy a SLR AGB which are among the most expensive out there.

People constantly have issues with the Bootleg carriers getting them to run correctly, the BRT is also a shit idea because again you're restricting yourself to another fixed gas port size with no room for error. And recommending someone to spend more money and another 9-12 month wait on a additional Can if fucking retarded.

@chadwickz71 made a mistake there's no need to beat him down about it.

Last edited:
You should have read the fine print and details/features to ensure shooting suppressed with a conventional can was something that will work out of the box.
I've done this too.

IMO it's at least partially because the suppressor manufacturers disingenuously market that if you can screw it on and the bullet fits through, it'll work great.

In reality most cans just really don't work well on gas guns and the entire system needs to be optimized to work together.

KAC, Larue, and others have been doing this for a long time, but the big name silencer brands are just now admitting not every can actually works well of every rifle.

I spent a stupid amount of money trying to tune a large frame for a nomad L (agb, custom heavy buffer, minimized dwell time, etc) and could never get good results.

Don't listen to this Jackass either, you made a new guy mistake and shit happens. You've already been given the proper advice from LaRue and others. Pick up a heavier buffer and spring and a adjustable .750 Gas Block, and any AGB will do there's absolutely no need to specifically buy a SLR AGB which are among the most expensive out there.

People constantly have issues with the Bootleg carriers getting them to run correctly, the BRT is also a shit idea because again you're restricting yourself to another fixed gas port size with no room for error. And recommending someone to spend more money and another 9-12 month wait on a additional Can if fucking retarded.

@chadwickz71 made a mistake there's no need to beat him down about it.
For Little squidy:

No one is beating him down cupcake. You must be on the rag again this time of month. Take some midol, eat a tub of ice cream and go watch some soap operas. When you are feeling better, you can re-join the discussion.

OP:
Assuming shit from different companies that have nothing to do with each other, that were never designed with each other in mind is what not smart people do. A ford part that has the same thread pitch as a chevy, doesn't make it compatible. Same with gun parts, and especially gas systems/suppressors.

Please show me where Silencerco says their Omega will work flawlessly on a Predatobr? Same with Larue. Why would anyone assume this, and those with a modicum of knowledge of how gas gun works, know its a crap shoot at best.

This is a learning experience, Don't make assumptions. Like the guy from larue said, if you called them to ask BEFORE you bought, or used their suppressor (which is known to have very low backpressure and work well on gas guns) then this could have been avoided. Larue makes different tier guns at different prices. I don't even like Larue particularly, but guys like Jake always want to shit on them every chance they get. I was shooting my larue 6.5g just this weekend at a match, banging steel at 900 like it was cool. I have a can coming for it, but will install a new carrier to tame the gas before it gets out of jail.

I wouldn't buy a 2nd tier porche and then complain it doesn't have the 1st tier performance. You have a bunch of options to fix the situation, depending on time, money and how much you want to modify the gun. All of them will work to to some degree, i reccomend the cheapest and less intrusive to start with. That way if they don't work, you aren't out much and its not like any of them will hurt.

I've done this too.

IMO it's at least partially because the suppressor manufacturers disingenuously market that if you can screw it on and the bullet fits through, it'll work great.

In reality most cans just really don't work well on gas guns and the entire system needs to be optimized to work together.

KAC, Larue, and others have been doing this for a long time, but the big name silencer brands are just now admitting not every can actually works well of every rifle.

I spent a stupid amount of money trying to tune a large frame for a nomad L (agb, custom heavy buffer, minimized dwell time, etc) and could never get good results.
We are lucky we have so many options today with good, flow through cans:

Hux/OSS
KGM
Larue
New Velos from Silencerco
NG2
B&T RBS
and more

Here is a good list of cans rated by backpressure in case anyone wants to use to help them select a can. Unfortunately for you, the nomad-L is one of the worst on the list.

1694051279311.png

Reactions: mettee
That's why I bought a hux 😏
Agree, great resource!

Mettee is one the 5 or 6 LaRue Bitchboy's left over on ARF.COM that hang out in the LaRue Industry forums.

Yes it's bullshit that LaRue doesn't disclose these incompatibility issues up front to would be buyers. Don't waste your money on a LaRue Barrel when you can get a custom Bartlein or Krieger spun up for you by Compass Lake built to your exact specifications for $600 compared the mediocre LaRue Barrel that cost $900 plus tax and shipping.

I've been rebarrowing LaRue Rifles for over 10 years now it's not hard.

My question is this, the PredatAR and DD5 V3 are basically the same weight if I remember correctly so why not just keep using the DD5 as your "Walking Gun"?

Larue rifles are a outdated downgrade with shit customer service, if you would have posted this thread in the ARF.COM LaRue forums the handful or Dildo Dust Groupies would have jumped on you like a pack of dogs with Mettee in the front, telling you it's your fault and you're an idiot for not buying the correct "LaRue Rifle"

This is one of my Rebarreled PredatARs with a 18" Bartlein from Compass Lake / 1-10 Twist / Rifle Length Gas. / 5/8x24 Treads / M110 Contour. You'd obviously want a lighter profile or just say fuck it, keep your DD5 and turn the PredatAR into a long range precision set up with a Custom 20" Bartlein CLE Barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The CLE barrels will shoot Sub 1/2 MOA during load development, I'd like to see a Larue barrel with the XTRAXN chamber do that.... Oh Wait!! They can't because of what that bullshit chamber does to your brass rendering it useless because it's so blown out you can't even resize the Fire Formed Brass in a full length sizing die let alone a small base die. Take some of your fired brass and try to resize it.. just make sure you have a tool to removed the case out of your Die after you rip the case head off.

Mark LaRue is banned from Snipershide and ARF.COM, and for good reason. That's why he now peddles his bullshit on Instagram, because on Instagram he can block and control the content in his favor so if anything negative is said about his products he can just block the person and erase what was said.

View attachment 8221345View attachment 8221347View attachment 8221349
View attachment 8221362
View attachment 8221358View attachment 8221359View attachment 8221360View attachment 8221361View attachment 8221363View attachment 8221364

Larue doesn't disclose things that aren't incompatibility issues to begin with, you don't know how to use the word concentricity correctly so I'm not expecting you to understand that. You obviously have an anger issue, better to keep quiet than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Aren't you banned from ar15.com too? For this same pathetic behavior?

I resized hundreds and hundreds of pieces of brass in just the last week fired through xtraxn chambers without issue. Quit spewing lies, you are a liar.

Here is a sub half inch group from last week shot out of my tobr with larue barrel during load testing. And a couple 3 shot groups. Lots more where this came from.

Screenshot_20230906_195207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230906_195534_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230906_195514_Photos.jpg

Larue doesn't disclose things that aren't incompatibility issues to begin with, you don't know how to use the word concentricity correctly so I'm not expecting you to understand that. You obviously have an anger issue, better to keep quiet than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Aren't you banned from ar15.com too? For this same pathetic behavior?

I resized hundreds and hundreds of pieces of brass in just the last week fired through xtraxn chambers without issue. Quit spewing lies, you are a liar.

Here is a sub half inch group from last week shot out of my tobr with larue barrel during load testing. And a couple 3 shot groups. Lots more where this came from.

View attachment 8221600
View attachment 8221601
View attachment 8221602

Oh you got me, I missed used the word concentricity.. You need to remember you're on the Hide now so you can't pull that same bullshit and delete my post every time I shove real facts down your throat..

Nothing I've said in my above post is a lie and you know that!, I have no less than half a dozen LaRue .308 barrels in my spare parts/Junk pile that can prove that the fire formed brass from those oversized chambers are unusable.

I'd be more than happy to send @Molon a sample from each barrel to prove it. And the issues with the fire formed .308 brass from his in house barrels are well documented on several other forums.

here are just a few examples that I found in 10 minutes.

Nobody here gives a crap about some cherry picked groups that shot out of your AR15, this discussion here is about Larue .308 barrels!!

Furthermore what you and your LaRue groupies failed to mention because you're always so fixated on attacking anyone that says anything negative about LaRue is that there are several revisions ( have examples of several of them on hand) that LaRue has made to his .308 Xtraxn chamber, Some of the earlier Xtraxn Chambers do allow the FF .308 brass to be reloaded because the flutes in the chamber aren't as aggressive as the Post 2014 chambers are.

The .308 barrels that I have from 2014-2020 all have oversized chambers that render the FF Brass unusable unless you send in some FF Cases to Forster and have a custom FL Sizing Die made to order, which is also highlighted in the second link that I have attached from ARF.COM

This thread specifically illustrates the Bullshit you get back from LaRue customer service. (Read page 7 Post #89) here's the link if you don't want to sift through seven pages while the OP gets a response from LaRue.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/fired-brass-cant-be-re-sized.246287/page-7

(Here it is from the Beginning)

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/fired-brass-cant-be-re-sized.246287/

I think it's time you crawl back in your hole, like a said above this is Snipershide no one is going to come to your Aid in here to delete my post when real facts come to light.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ernest 5.56
Hey guys Phew--wee! LOL just got back on here. Simmer down guys im the one that fucked up. Not yall. This thread has been very helpful lets please keep it on the tracks here as i have a few more questions.

Soo....... yes, im green on AR platforms, no need to dispute that. I have a benchrest background. 6br, 6.5x284, .284 win. Handloading, defiance, krieger, brux, S and S precision built here in Dallas, you name it i know a bit about bolt guns..... But gas guns well im a fast learner LOL.

BUT, Yes i bought a upper tier rifle and am just voicing my concerns and did not know how the fix them, some of them or hell all of them may be because of my ignorance... If i would've called Larue first they would've given be about the same answer.... The gun May/may not perform with any CAN besides ours etc. Same as asking them two days ago about dropping in a Triggertech tripper. gun said " yes it will fit but we can't guarantee the gun will shoot properly with it". Thats exactly what i was told. And hell that probably wound't have stopped me from buying it, thats just them covering themselves like everyone does.

Learning experience? Hell Yes! and im over it already. Lets MOVE ON.

Next Question::::

I'm actually contemplating now, what i didn't know 2 days go, whether i keep this rifle stock and just sell it and get a custom gun built for exactly what i want..... Or modify this rifle and see if i can get it shooting.... I hate to mod a nice well known stock rifle to begin with thats sometime a turnoff and red flag for potential buyers. Is there anything wrong with this gun... NO, but for me, Yes.

As it sits i have a DD 15 and a DD V3 308 at .5 moa out the box totally stock WITH MY SUPPRESSOR BTW.... Maybe those are flukes maybe not.

This Larue, won't shoot with my can, and don't group with it either so I do need to put some effort into it..... Or simply build ground up with a qualified builder who can test the function of this gun with my cans and get it tuned before i even take over.

I would honestly like to drop a pound of weight atleast if i can. Im running 2 Nvision Halo XRF's on the rifles with the cans and then get heavy at night.

What would you guys DO here in my shoes?

Hey guys Phew--wee! LOL just got back on here. Simmer down guys im the one that fucked up. Not yall. This thread has been very helpful lets please keep it on the tracks here as i have a few more questions.

Soo....... yes, im green on AR platforms, no need to dispute that. I have a benchrest background. 6br, 6.5x284, .284 win. Handloading, defiance, krieger, brux, S and S precision built here in Dallas, you name it i know a bit about bolt guns..... But gas guns well im a fast learner LOL.

BUT, Yes i bought a upper tier rifle and am just voicing my concerns and did not know how the fix them, some of them or hell all of them may be because of my ignorance... If i would've called Larue first they would've given be about the same answer.... The gun May/may not perform with any CAN besides ours etc. Same as asking them two days ago about dropping in a Triggertech tripper. gun said " yes it will fit but we can't guarantee the gun will shoot properly with it". Thats exactly what i was told. And hell that probably wound't have stopped me from buying it, thats just them covering themselves like everyone does.

I'm actually contemplating now, what i didn't know 2 days go, whether i keep this rifle stock and just sell it and get a custom gun built for exactly what i want..... Or modify this rifle and see if i can get it shooting.... I hate to mod a nice well known stock rifle to begin with thats sometime a turnoff and red flag for potential buyers. Is there anything wrong with this gun... NO, but for me, Yes.

As it sits i have a DD 15 and a DD V3 308 at .5 moa out the box totally stock WITH MY SUPPRESSOR BTW.... Maybe those are flukes maybe not.

This Larue, won't shoot with my can, and don't group with it either so I do need to put some effort into it..... Or simply build ground up with a qualified builder who can test the function of this gun with my cans and get it tuned before i even take over.

I would honestly like to drop a pound of weight atleast if i can. Im running 2 Nvision Halo XRF's on the rifles with the cans and then get heavy at night.

Sell it.

I give LaRue just as much credit as I do criticism because of his true Free Floating Barrel design and monolithic 20 MOA top rail that todate is still one of the best designed Large Frame AR'S Uppers on the market, well... used to be on the market but his true Free Floating design paird with a Quality Custom Match Barrel produces some of the most accurate rifles I have ever seen. But the facts are his oversized .308 Chambers, questionable customer service, and poor treatment of customers is irrefutable.

Last edited:
Problem with Seekins as i looked at them before i bought the LARUE, that sp-10 is advertised as 2lbs heavier than the DD or larue... Im going the wrong way in weight there but i know they're good.

I'll can call JP and ask about weights....

I know of Lone Star Armory in Ft worth, i was going to call Andrew over there and see what options he offers. Would you guys recommend anyone in the DFW area as far as Builders goes.

Sorry wasn't trying to detail your thread OP, but just illustrate that you're not alone with your frustrations.

If you decide to Keep the Larue and wish to turn it into a Long Range Precision set up send me a PM and I will do the work for you. You can ask around here..there's no charge for my services you just pay for the parts needed and shipping, it's just something I do to help out fellow Hide members.

All you have to do is just send me your upper and by the time you get it back not only will it function properly but it will shoot Sub Half MOA.

But as mentioned above I would be remissed if I didn't agree with the post above you would probably be better off sending it on its way instead of pouring more money into it if you've already got a DD5 shooting .5 MOA as it is.

Last edited:
Problem with Seekins as i looked at them before i bought the LARUE, that sp-10 is advertised as 2lbs heavier than the DD or larue... Im going the wrong way in weight there but i know they're good.

I know of Lone Star Armory in Ft worth, i was going to call Andrew over there and see what options he offers. Would you guys recommend anyone in the DFW area as far as Builders goes.

Your DD5 v3 is already considered a pretty light rifle, what is your goal weight you're trying to achieve?

@MSTN knows how to build a light weight Large Frame Gasser, I'd send him a PM and see what he suggests.

See thats why im here, I've read people have done some 6-7lb guns and a pound makes a difference but i don't want a cardboard handguard and foam buttstock to achieve this if its not realistic its not realistic. Thats why i thought i'd call a builder.

The Omega 30 and 36 have weight and lord the nvision Xrf's are heavy also but that is what it is. If i can shave a pound or so that goes a long way when your're walking around in the night. Between me and the old man we have 1900 acres in west texas and we stalk groups of hogs on wheat fields at night. Im not being a pussy but we do WALK a lot, Dad is 68. We toting around say $14-15k rifles in the night. I don't need someone getting hurt. Thats the reason im asking about weights. I LIke quality shit, and i like lightweight, but if its not realistic to get this and 8.5lbs is about normal then that is what it is too.... thats why im asking.

chad j

If you want light weigh, reliable, usable with a can and low recoil, then just buy a scar 17. Tavor 7 would also be a neat option and keep OAL way down for pig hunting and moving around vechicles/ats/sxs.

light weight AR10's suck balls

See thats why im here, I've read people have done some 6-7lb guns and a pound makes a difference but i don't want a cardboard handguard and foam buttstock to achieve this if its not realistic its not realistic. Thats why i thought i'd call a builder.

The Omega 30 and 36 have weight and lord the nvision Xrf's are heavy also but that is what it is. If i can shave a pound or so that goes a long way when your're walking around in the night. Between me and the old man we have 1900 acres in west texas and we stalk groups of hogs on wheat fields at night. Im not being a pussy but we do WALK a lot, Dad is 68. We toting around say $14-15k rifles in the night. I don't need someone getting hurt. Thats the reason im asking about weights. I LIke quality shit, and i like lightweight, but if its not realistic to get this and 8.5lbs is about normal then that is what it is too.... thats why im asking.

chad j

Well also take into consideration that you're packing around .308 ammo as well.

I don't know what distance you and your dad are shooting from but there are also some great options in the small frame platform as well like 6.5 G and 6ARC, that can definitely get you close to the 7 lbs goal especially if you run a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel which are fantastic for hunting purposes.

But unfortunately recently PR has had some issues on their QC as well soooo 🤷

I hear you on the small frame, i reload enough shit right now LOL on all the families bolt guns. Plus the larger rds just knock these bastards down faster, i get a kick out of the 223, you might hit a big hog 4 times before you start slowing it down...

I'll look into the 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc, and see how supplies are for that round. lord knows everytime a mouse farts we have a shortarge on something these days.

I hear you on the small frame, i reload enough shit right now LOL on all the families bolt guns. Plus the larger rds just knock these bastards down faster, i get a kick out of the 223, you might hit a big hog 4 times before you start slowing it down...

I'll look into the 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc, and see how supplies are for that round. lord knows everytime a mouse farts we have a shortarge on something these days.

Glad to hear you reload, you care to take some FF brass from your LaRue and share with the class how that goes when you try to resize it? Try out the FGMM FF Cases since his rifles are designed to run FGMM and Black Hills Ammo.

If your Rifle was built from 2014-2020, I know exactly how this story will go. If it's a newer model I'd like to see if these issues still persist or if they've been addressed.

Last edited:
Same as asking them two days ago about dropping in a Triggertech tripper. gun said " yes it will fit but we can't guarantee the gun will shoot properly with it". Thats exactly what i was told.

Also regarding the TT Trigger, you're 100% good to go. Every Larue rifle I own is either running a TT AR10 Diamond or a AR10 Adaptable with zero failures.

20230907_123009.jpg
20230907_123033.jpg
20230907_123100.jpg

Last edited:
How does the TT diamond AR trigger (I have 3 of them , 2 stage, in bolt guns) compare to the G HI speed match and SSA-E X? I have a bunch of larues but not super fond of them.

How does the TT diamond AR trigger (I have 3 of them , 2 stage, in bolt guns) compare to the G HI speed match and SSA-E X? I have a bunch of larues but not super fond of them.

If you're wanting a Triggertech I'd recommend going with the Adaptable 2.5Lbs, the reset is much more pronounced compared to the Diamond Series so you'd better off if you like to wear gloves while shooting...

The G High speed NM are excellent, and even better with the JP Enhanced reliability trigger kit. The SSA-E and SSA-EX are also good choices and are very easy to find tune to get them to break at or under 2 lbs

As for the MBT, I can walk you through on how to tune them as well. Mine all cleanly break at 3 LBS.

I'll see if I can post some videos, usually I can't because they say file size to large.

Videos won't up load, pics will have to do..

MBT first Stage.. 1lb 8.9oz
20230907_140527.jpg

MBT Second stage.. Breaks clean at a total pull weight of 3 lbs 1.1oz

20230907_140401.jpg

Tuned SSA-E First Stage. 1 lb 1.2oz
20230907_141027.jpg

Second Stage total pull weight of 1 lb 13.9oz
20230907_141200.jpg

Last edited:
To me its a little personal preference. I run Jewels on almost 10 bolt rifles that i've done load development for. Set from 4oz and up but really never any higher than 1.5lbs for example on my moms 6.5-284 or daughters Dasher.

I have the Triggertech Diamond 1.5-4lb adjustable and for an AR which im not shooting precision with they are a very relatable feel because im used to a Jewel. Im not saying they are eqaul triggers, Im just saying this Larue factory trigger has a long pull travel then hits a clean break. Im just not used to it and prefer the triggertech feel.

Reactions: bigjake83
Dammit now you guys got me looking serious at a Grendel. I see i can get all the reloading supplies thats what i was worried about. And it solves the weight problem probably in a major way....

• Love
Reactions: JS8588 and Im2bent
Skip the Grendel and do the ARC. Much better penetration with higher velocity and SD with 105 class bullets than 120 class 6.5. Will also shoot much flatter and less wind drift at longer ranges.

Reactions: jh2785
Yall don't blow my ass up on this remember im not a AR expert here, but if i look into this grendel-type small frame. Am i going to still be dealing with function problems with the silencerco cans to mount to anything out of the normal or are the small frame guns that much more easier going on the gas side. Also anything like feeding issues etc. Im asking because i had to do some specific things for my daughter on her bolt gun as a Dasher to make it feed correctly, that was another one of those learning experiences