• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with medium length action build. 284/swede/260

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
I have bought brass and dies for a 284 build already but I'm having serious second thoughts. I've owned a 284 before and it was a great shooter built on a long action but was shot prone 80% of the time or more. This build will be used for hunting and NRL hunter matches. I'm thinking the 284 might be a bit much recoil for tripod and wierd field positions. So now I'm shifting towards maybe a 260, 260AI, or a straight up 6.5x55. Right now I'm thinking the swede with 140-153 bullets is where I want to be. Looking for opinions on the cartridge choice and if there's any consensus on freebore on the Swede/260 that would work for the 3.2 mag length I'll have at my disposal. TIA

If you already have a long action, definitely the 6.5x55. I have had a Criterion barrel for a Savage, they call it a 6.5x55 Swedish Match chamber. I replaced it with a full build from LRI using a Winchester pre-war 70 and a Proof carbon barrel. They both shoot the same load. Lapua brass, Hornady 140 amax over 48grains of Norma MRP.

If you already have a long action, definitely the 6.5x55. I have had a Criterion barrel for a Savage, they call it a 6.5x55 Swedish Match chamber. I replaced it with a full build from LRI using a Winchester pre-war 70 and a Proof carbon barrel. They both shoot the same load. Lapua brass, Hornady 140 amax over 48grains of Norma MRP.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a LA, I have a Medium. Do you know what your loads OAL was? The medium magazines have 3.260 of space available.

what do/did you plan to shoot for bullet and speed?

i shoot a 7SAW with 162s at 2840 and in a 14# hunter build it's plenty manageable. looking at VV load data in the 16X class that's about the same speed i get

The issue with the swede is the need to trim your brass frequently. It has a fairly pronounced body taper and us quite prone to growth.
A .260 throated long is a decent alternative.
I'm still sourcing parts for a 7-08 ai build on a medium action. I intend on throating it long so I can load to 3.1 oal. I'm waiting on the barrel and stock.
I considered a .284, but I didn't want the hassle of a rebated rim cartridge.

Reactions: jsimonh
I had planned on the 168 or 180, which is the other hesitation, the 144 and 153.5 in 6.5 has the same-ish BC with less weight. There is a strong possibility that I'm over thinking this.

The issue with the swede is the need to trim your brass frequently. It has a fairly pronounced body taper and us quite prone to growth.
A .260 throated long is a decent alternative.
I'm still sourcing parts for a 7-08 ai build on a medium action. I intend on throating it long so I can load to 3.1 oal. I'm waiting on the barrel and stock.
I considered a .284, but I didn't want the hassle of a rebated rim cartridge.

I've read that a few times and don't know if that would be that big of a deal but I don't care for brass prep like I used to. I've been researching and reading all I can on these options. Gonna get a barrel on order tomorrow hopefully. Leaning towards a 260ai as of this moment but I'm researching feeding issues people seem to have.

6.5x55 is a no problem cartridge if you keep your loads moderate.

By that I mean that if you're planning on staying this side of 650 yds, you can use the "reduced" Norma loads for 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser and still have very good results. Yes, you will have to dial for drop and drift, but with the right load it will be very consistent.

As for bullet wheight 120 gr will be enough for 300 m and 136 gr twice that (Lapua Scenar for example). Not until you get close to 1k you will need something heavier. Norma DL Fält (136 gr SMK) will go 1100+m from a 74 cm/30" Sauer barrell.

Best of luck with your choice!

Talked to Josh at PVA today for a while. Great dude and he helped me get it figured out. I ended up going 260AI. I'm gonna send some dummy rds in to take full advantage of the mag length available to me. Pretty excited to have this decision done. Should be able to push the 140s nice and easy for comps and really step on a good hunting bullet for some fantastic ballistics.

Buddy just built a 260AI.

Couple other shooting buddies shoot em too.

They are all very happy with that choice.

Enjoy!

Talked to Josh at PVA today for a while. Great dude and he helped me get it figured out. I ended up going 260AI. I'm gonna send some dummy rds in to take full advantage of the mag length available to me. Pretty excited to have this decision done. Should be able to push the 140s nice and easy for comps and really step on a good hunting bullet for some fantastic ballistics.
What magazine are you going to use? I’m considering a medium with 260AI and trying to figure out what magazine to use in the med action.

What magazine are you going to use? I’m considering a medium with 260AI and trying to figure out what magazine to use in the med action.
I elected to go with the unknown munitions DBM and magazine.
They make a medium action magazine for .308 based cartridges, capacity is 3 rounds.
The only down side is you are restricted to their magazines.
With the Hawkins, the only .308 based magazine is ten rounds, which can be converted to 5, but that is another 120 bucks.
Unknown Muitions make .308 based and magnum based for the medium actions.
I am only waiting on my barrel, I decided to go with a 7-08 AI, I intend to load long and you can get to 3.26" (if memory serves).
Nicely made stuff, the DBM is quite lite.

Last edited:
Reactions: vern.284
I elected to go with the unknown munitions DBM and magazine.
They make a medium action magazine for .308 based cartridges, capacity is 3 rounds.
The only down side is you are restricted to their magazines.
With the Hawkins, the only .308 based magazine is ten rounds, which can be converted to 5, but that is another 120 bucks.
They make .308 based and magnum based for the medium actions.
I am only waiting on my barrel, I decided to go with a 7-08 AI, I intend to load long and you can get to 3.26" (if memory serves).
Nicely made stuff, the DBM is quite lite.
Thank you! I contacted Hawkins and inquired about 308 based in medium with flush or obendorf and they told me they didn’t make anything for that.