• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with my 6 SLR

CaptainH

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Ohio
Perhaps some of my fellow shooters can help me with my issue. I get good accuracy at 100 - 300 yards shooting slow with the following load.
- 115 DTAC HbN coated
- Defiance action - single shot
- Alliant RL 26 46.6 gr
- Lapua brass
- Federal primers
- Bartlien 32" 1:7 twist Heavy Varmint profile
- 3170 fps MV
- McRees chassis

My issue is that I shoot this rifle for F-Class (600 and 1000 yards) and long range steel out to 1000 yards. After the barrel heats up and if I am in a good wind condition and I am shooting at a pretty good clip (2-3 ahots / minute), the group goes to pot. I can even go from a 1/3 MOA group at 300 to a 1 MOA group at 300 yards by shooting faster, so I don't think this issue is just due to long ranges. I have basically the same set up with the same chambering in a Kelbly action and a 32 inch Krieger barrel that does the same thing.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you

Frank Holtzhauer

Captainh

[email protected]

Hmmm??? It doesn't seem to me there's anything unusual about the POI shifts and expansion of the groups when heating up with that rate of fire. . . particularly if one's using somewhat hot loads.

Shooting here in Arizona's summers is quite a challenge to keeping barrel heat down. So that I could better monitor just when the heat was going to effect my POI's I put a temperature label (see this) on my Krieger 26" barrel just in from of the receiver. I found that my POI starts to go when that temperature shows 122°F. That's when I stop firing and insert a cooling fan into the throat to cool it down as quickly as possible.