• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with my new 700 243

scubapro187

Chew
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Helena, MT
Ok so I just bought a Remington SPS Varmint 700 in .243 and bought a AICS to go along with it.
1. I need help deciding on what base to choose to go along with it. I'm between the EGW, the Leupold, and the Nightforce 1piece 20 moa bases. The question is are the Leupold or Nightforce bases that much better that it justifies the extra money? I don't mind spending the extra cash so long as that it's worth while. Also I'm not interested in recommendations for Badger either.

2. The rings will either be Leupold or Nightforce and the scope is going to have to wait for a while. I'm just going to use the Nikon 3x9 I have on my hunting rifle till I have enough money to buy what I want.

3. My last question has to deal with what grain will my barrel shoot best. I'm hoping to be able to shoot 115gr bullets with my rifle. Keep in mind it's a 26" barrel with 9 1/8" twist.

Re: Need help with my new 700 243

1) No. The EGW works fine.

2) Forget the Leupold rings. Choose Badger, NF, Seekins, or the very reasonably priced Burris XTR. Get them in "low", i.e. 0.841" from base top to scope bore centerline.

3) You won't really know until you try. So please try and report back.
smile.gif

Depending on the base, yes. Base thickness, like ring height, depends on the manufacturer. They ALL use different dimensions, so words like "low" and "medium" are worthless without the accompanying dimensions.

Provided the base you choose is not thinner than a Badger, the Burris "low" rings will indeed clear a 50mm scope over a heavy barreled Rem 700. I know this for a fact.

Call EGW and ask them how thick their base is, at the front and at the back. Compare it to the Badger Ordnance thickness (can't remember what that is, sorry), and the numbers will tell the story.

Cheers from the left coast, and CDA on occasion when I go to visit my property up there.
smile.gif

That 1/9.125 twist is probably going to be too slow for the 115gr Dtac. Should do OK with 105gr. BUT if your barrel has a faster than stated twist (maybe 1/8.75) due to manufacturing tolerances and you can get enough velocity it may stabilize the 115gr Dtac.

You're going to have to try it to be sure, but usually you need about 1/8 twist for the dtacs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> BUT if your barrel has a faster than stated twist (maybe 1/8.75) due to manufacturing tolerances and you can get enough velocity it may stabilize the 115gr Dtac.

You're going to have to try it to be sure, but usually you need about 1/8 twist for the dtacs</div></div>

Nope. You will have difficulty stabilizing the 115's with a 1:8. It can be done but if shooting the 115's are your goal, you need at least a 1:7.5.