• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED HELP WITH NEW GAP "TACTICAL INTERVENTION" #3

iFENCEuin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
North Carolina
Hey guys,
i was fortunate enough to purchase the GAP Tactical Intervention #3 from BillyLo, and am new to long range shooting with heavy bullets. I have been told that the 175's would work well, and is what most of you guys shoot. Any help with some load data would be appreciated. I would prefer the Berger 175 VLD's, as i like to draw blood as well as hit steel.

I know this is a wide open request, but i would REALLY appreciate learning from you guys and getting pointed in the right direction.

I have a Nightforce 5.5-22 on the way and can't wait to get started.

Not new to reloading, but new to the tactical side. Thanks for you help. The rifle specs are below.

SPECS:
Remington 700 RH SA Action, Trued and lapped
Mike Rock 24” Stainless 11:25 twist barrel with heavy flutes caliber .308

Thanks in advance for your help. YOU GUYS ROCK

Bobby

Re: NEED HELP WITH NEW GAP "TACTICAL INTERVENTION" #3

Where in nc are you from. As said above the 175 smk is what I shoot with a little more varget than listed, with fed 210m. Primers in fed gmm brass,only cause I have a ton of it. If you can you should come to the juniper swamp match in the middle of September.
Anyway good luck I'm sure the gun will shoot great.
Adam

If you are wanting a good hunting load and target load take a long look at the 178 AMAX. I have taken it out to 880 yards (slow, factory barrel on the old stick) and killed 3 pigs and 1 deer with it. The last one I killed on Saturday was a nice boar in the 200#+ range. It dropped like a sack of potatoes.

I probably wouldn't use it on elk or similar sized game but if you are just going after deer and pigs, it will drop them with authority.

Oh and the AMAX is very easy to get to shoot accurately.

I shoot 44-45 grains of varget under a 175 SMK. Lapua Brass/CCI BR2 primers. Take a look at a reloading manual and work up. The VLDs will be quite a bit more finicky about seating depth. Use the following info if you choose to use them.

Link

Josh

175SMK's should shine with that rifle and the Sierra 180gr GameKings would be a comparable effective hunting round.
I personally hunt steel and paper for the most part, but I know the Sheriff's Office in my AO uses the GameKings on thin skinned medium size game animals to good effect.....

That rifle was designed to shoot SMK 175 and Lapua Scenar 155s. The Berger VLD probably wont shoot well at Mag length so I would not use it. If you like Bergers the 155.5 Full Bore will also rock in that rifle. Found overall length with 155 Scenars at 2.82 to be Magic.

Found overall length with 155 Scenars at 2.82 to be Magic.

thanks for the reply. Can wait to get it on the bench....

can you tell me specifically the load data that you reference above.

I'm new to long range shooting, but am not new to reloading. I would appreciate your help.

Bobby