• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help with Nickel Boron coating process...

cwillits505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2011
Republic of Texas
Need some help guys.. we are looking at possibly venturing into this at our shop and while my google skills are adequate, I cant really find the "how to get started" manual online for nickel boron coating. I have seen some kits for "Boron Nitride" DIY kits, is that the same thing? Any help from any of you who do it or are familiar with the process and how to get setup would be greatly appreciated! Some major questions: What do I need to buy? Where do I buy it? Where can I get instructions for setup? Is it a pain in the ass lol? THANKS!!

While it is hard and resists rust and looks cool; I am out on a handgun, as it darkens and turns greenish gray way too easily!

Hmmm. I didn't think NiB was "DIY" thing. I was under the impression it was a proprietary process...?

Thanks for the responses so far guys.. I dont believe its proprietary as Failzero, Mega, etc all sell parts already coated, and WMD Guns in FL will do anything you send them (unless mega and all those guys are getting it done by WMD? ) and I did ask about the Boron Nitride in original post as to when I google it, such as the caswell plating thread you posted Aeon, thats all that ever comes up and I know Tubb recommends the stuff for bullet coating.. I was thinking maybe it was the same process/chemical compound and maybe just the name itself "nickel boron coated" or something like that was proprietary (like Armalite and "AR10) .. Aeon, how did the gun come out said gunsmith did?

Thanks for the responses so far guys.. I dont believe its proprietary as Failzero, Mega, etc all sell parts already coated, and WMD Guns in FL will do anything you send them (unless mega and all those guys are getting it done by WMD? ) and I did ask about the Boron Nitride in original post as to when I google it, such as the caswell plating thread you posted Aeon, thats all that ever comes up and I know Tubb recommends the stuff for bullet coating.. I was thinking maybe it was the same process/chemical compound and maybe just the name itself "nickel boron coated" or something like that was proprietary (like Armalite and "AR10) .. Aeon, how did the gun come out said gunsmith did?

I know the outfit that does all the NiB coating work for WMD, and am friends with the owner of the outfit that does all the post-processing and polishing, after the coating has been applied.

My understandng was the NiB process belongs to WMD, and all NiB processing had to come through WMD.

But I've been wrong before....

Good stuff.. Thanks Turbo.. thats kinda the idea I got when I couldnt find a thing about it on google.. On another note.. wonder how that Boron Nitride stuff would hold up on a pistol frame... :)

Good stuff.. Thanks Turbo.. thats kinda the idea I got when I couldnt find a thing about it on google.. On another note.. wonder how that Boron Nitride stuff would hold up on a pistol frame... :)

While visiting my friend (the polisher) a while back, he had bins and bins and bins and bins of AR BCG parts and was telling me all about NiB. He handed me a couple demo pieces to mess around with...

I attacked an AR15 disconnecter with a file and couldn't scratch it.

I mic'd a bolt carrier, then chucked it in the lathe and tried to "sand it down" with a strip of emory cloth. 2 or 3 minutes or rigorous sanding produced *zero* dimensional change, and gave the NiB a very polished chrome-like look.

I was impressed.