• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes need help with Nikon Monarch III 4x16x42 adj.

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I originally, set the fast focus eye ring looking at the sky for the sharpest, clearest reticle as most manufacturers suggest. The other day I decided to turn the adjustment ring while looking at my 100 yd. target. The strange thing was it was like turning the power setting up and down? I was able to bring the target up much larger than it was when I first looked through it is this the correct way to adjust this setting or, should it be adjusted the way I did the first time and left like that for all ranges? At this point I'm pretty confused lol!

Fast focus ring is for fine adjustments as everyones eyes are different. If the target gets larger as you are adjusting the scope, you are adjusting power level instead of fast focus ring. Two entirely different entities. Fast focus ring at end of scope only makes minute adjustments to sight picture.

actually, optically it does appear as if some zoom is taking place if you crank on it. a small adjustment you would never see, but look through it and start cranking, you'll notice it. its normal. You are changing (with large turns) the distance between lenses to appoint that it changes magnification. Or at least perceived magnification.

I think I'll experiment with it the next time I'm out shooting it and see what kind of results I come up with. I'll make sure I move my head around as I check for parallax after adjusting to see if it changes that any. This is the only scope I've ever owned that does this. Thanks folks! I guess, it may have something to do with the eye box technology they claim the scope has?

Last edited: