• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with optic on LaRue Stealth

Bullwinkle

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Sorry for the noob question, but my head hurts from all the great information here. I am a new AR15 owner (found a heck of a deal from a friend who is getting divorced) and now I need a scope.

Just purchased a used (less than 40 rounds) LaRue 18" barrel Stealth and am looking for ideas on what optic to go with. Do not want to spend a fortune and the budget is maxed out at $500 and that's got to include optic mount.

The range I shoot at goes out to 600 yards.

This is my only AR15 so I need a versatile optic.

Re: Need help with optic on LaRue Stealth

For versatility I would recommend a USO or NF or similar in their lower power offerings. In the 1-4x range. In that price range, maybe a DMS-1? I believe that is what they are called. IIRC correctly they are made by Millet. I had one briefly on an AR and it worked. Not the greatest optics, but it didnt need to be.

look around for a used acog also. they are great short range optics and good out to 600 no problem. good glass on them also. the uso's and night force's even used are gonna be out of that 500 dollar range. you can get a used acog for close to what your looking to spend maybe a little more. if you want there is a option of buying a eotech now for 300-400 bucks it will come w/ the mount and then put a 3x magnifier behind it. you can get a knock off or non name brand for 100 bucks probably or wait up till you have more cash and buy a eotech version.. they work great for close up work and also distance up to 500-600 meters

DMS-1 for that price range and some Burris XTR rings. You'll have some money left over for ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMS-1 for that price range and some Burris XTR rings. You'll have some money left over for ammo. </div></div>

+1 i had the millet dms on one of my ars and i liked it and never had a problem out of it as a budget optic

Burris XTR 1.4 and a set of Burris XTR rings. Don't bother with the halo FastFire. The XTR adjusts down to a true 1x power and has a very nice 62gr BDC reticle.