• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help with reamer specs

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
i am guilty of being a tight a$$ and was pondering a new bench gun. i was really wanting a 30br but with the price of brass and the availability i started looking elsewhere. i also have a full length 308 tactical rifle in the works. anyway, i thought i might just buy a match 308 reamer and run it in .250 short to create a 30x47. the specs will be a .340 neck and .050 freebore. i intend to shoot 155's in the 308 chamber and never heavier than 168's. i wanted it to shoot factory match ammo in a pinch hence the .340 neck. will i be able to reach the lands with the 125gr match bullets on the longer jackets with the .050 freebore in the 30x47 chamber? how will the 30x47 shoot with a 36x scope? any good loads to share? i have already modified several dies for case forming and loading and have 50 pieces of brass just about done. i am set on the 30x47 but really would like some opinions on reamer specs to suite both of these projects. thanks for everyones time in advance.

chuck

Re: Need help with reamer specs

Are you gonna be score shooting or just BR , if its regular BR then I'd get either a 6mm BR or 6 PPC unless your shooting out past 600yds. It seems like it would be alot of work to run a modified 30 cal in a BR rig if your group shooting , thats probably why you don't see alot of them.

If your certain your not gonna be shooting anything heavier than 168's then I'd get a 1-13 twist and chamber it for "308 Palma 95" , the rig I reciently sold to a member here has a 1-10 twist barrel with this chamber and he has shot some groups in the low .2's and high .1's with it and its a tactical style rifle not a BR rig , and it still would eat the 168 and 175 factroy ammo well

Think I would post that request on BR central. Pretty sure there are guys there that have done something close to that.

Guess I am confused also. Are you building two guns or just one?

If two, the reamer can be rented for a 30 BR from several sources. Plus the cost of the reamer is minimal compared to everything else. I like to own my own reamer so when I rechamber, it should be exactly like the old and minimal changes in dies if anything.

I get my reamers from Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage. Pretty sure he could answer that question also and good guy to talk to.

BH

the rifle will mainly be a score rig. i am building two guns with one reamer. the 308 tac rifle will be for 155 mainly but maybe some 168. i shot a 30-30 br rifle the other day and shot several groups in the 1's. i think the 30's are fully capable of running with the ppc's in group but benchrest is driven by fads. if tony boyer would shoot a 30 for one season, LOTS of people would follow suite. i always buy my reamers and i wouldnt mind buying a 30br reamer but i dont want to deal with $90 brass WHEN YOU CAN FIND IT! pretty much everything i am building these days will be based on a 308 or 223 case. you can always find brass for either. i recently built a 6mm/223ackley to carry in the truck and it will run with a 6br in every respect. i have shot 55's at 3700 in a 10 twist 24" barrel. i can push 80's to 3200 and 70's to 3300. in a slower twist and longer barrel, i think it would give any br a run for the money. and, if a 30-30 will shoot in the 1's consistently, why wouldnt a 30x47? my main question is, will the .050 freebore be sufficient for up to 168 in the 308 and will 125 match bullets on the 1" jacket be able to reach the lands? thanks again to all who replied.

chuck