• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with Remington 700 and AAC Cyclone

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I had a 300 whisper built with a 16.5 douglas barrel on a remington 700 action. The gun shoots a ragged hole at 100yards with 208 grain amax's without the cylone installed.

I installed the cyclone today and it was all over the place. Some groups would be 1-2 inches and some were 5-6 inches.

Has anybody even seen this and are there any solutions.

Gun has been skim bedded by a professional in a HS Precision stock. No changes have been made since I got the silencer. I have checked the scope mount and all the action screws. Scope is a Leupold Mark II.

Thanks

Re: Need help with Remington 700 and AAC Cyclone

Did you check and see if you have any baffle strikes?

No baffle strikes. I just checked again. Crown is in perfect shape. Can threads on nice and tight with no woble.

The barrel is completely freefloated. Should I have the 1st few inches of the barrel bedded?

I'd try another load, or rework the current load, before I put any money into more gunsmithing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd try another load, or rework the current load, before I put any money into more gunsmithing. </div></div>

+1

Just because one load works without the can does not mean it will work with the can. Putting on the can adds a whole different dynamic to the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: egraham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 300 whisper built with a 16.5 douglas barrel on a remington 700 action. The gun shoots a ragged hole at 100yards with 208 grain amax's without the cylone installed.

I installed the cyclone today and it was all over the place. Some groups would be 1-2 inches and some were 5-6 inches.
    </div></div>

You've just diagnosed the source of the problem. The "cyclone".

I just went through this exact same thing, with an exact rifle (rem 700 w/ douglas), except I was using a SAS can. I was getting end cap strikes, so slight I couldn't even see them on my can. could never get it to shoot well with the can on, it shot great without. Put your can on, take the bolt out and look down your barrel if you see any part of your can your are getting stikes. Send it some place where they know how to do Class III threading.

Very common problem when the holes are kept at minimum. Just increase hole size a bit and it'll be fine.
    Last step I do on home made cans is to hone through all the baffels when the can is assembled, just to be sure none are out of line.
    edi