• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help with rifle that won't shoot

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Several years ago I had brown precision build and bed a stock for my factory Winchester model 70 243. After about 6 months I sent the action off the same gun to hart and had them install a barrel with the contour matching that of the factory barrel. I did not have it re bedded.

I have tried everything i know in the way of loads to get this gun to shoot and the best it will do is 1 inch at 100 yards. I know I can load god rounds because I have other rifles that shoot 1/2 or better at 100 yards.

Can someone give me an idea of where to start looking for problems? I was thinking about having the rifle rebedded to start with since I had the action trued and lugs lapped when I had the barrel installed.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help with rifle that won't shoot

The action dimensions would not change, but if the barrel shank is touching, that could cause fits. Check all the simple stuff.....crown, bedding, loose screws.

check the twist on your barrel to make sure that it is what you think it is and you are using appropriate projectiles.

Just a thought!
    Brian

I would start by completing the build and bedding the rifle. It's a basic good idea, and probably can't hurt.

Then the other basics, crown, scope mounts, and barrel channel; make sure all is as it should be.

Next, proper cheekweld, eye-optical axis alignment, and parallax check.

I really believe you'll find and solve most, if not all, of the problems by the time you get to the end of that list.

It's totally generic, works for pretty much any/all rifles. If it doesn't, there's a truly weird issue lurking at the bottom of it all.

Greg

It sure does bother me to have so much in a project and not have it shoot. Thanks for the advise.

have you had the trigger worked? I had one that was a 1" gun and after a new trigger and bedding, I got it down to 1/2".

Timney trigger, bolts are tight. Crown looks good. Using fire formed lapua brass that is trimmed, weighed, necks turned, and checked on run out gauge and using the hornady oal tool. Tried all sorts of powder, bullets, and primers. Swarovski scope, talley bases. I did not short cut on anything unless the experts think hart is a shortcut. It was before I knew about bartlien. I always have thought hart made good barrels.

Couldn't truing the action effect how the recoil lug aligns with it? Meaning one of the critical areas of the bedding job is no longer right? That's my only thought, if everything else is good.

Have you checked the accuracy with factory ammo?

Your old ammo combo may have worked before the rebarrel but not not be working with the new barrel.

If you don't want to go through the expense of rebedding right now start by free floating the barrel up to the recoil lug. Even though the countour is supposed to be the same it may be different enough just ahead of the lug to be causing a pressure spot and throwing off accuracy.

Is the middle screw tight (it should only be touching not tight)? Does it have an internal magazine? If so the box should be able to move while the gun is assembled. double check the cylinder section of the rifle. If there is any question free float it.

What were the conditions like when you were working up your new load for your new barrel?

I have been trying to work up a load for 2 years trying all different sorts of stuff.

I have seen magazine box's throw off a rifles accuracy. Correct me if I am wrong but it binds up against the action and throws off the harmonics. There is an article in a hunting magazine about a gentleman and his wife going on a safari hunt. His wife had a really nice custom gun built but found it was not shooting well. They used a back up rifle and tried everything to get it to shoot sub moa with no luck. A disassembly of it, slight filing of the box and re-torque of the action screws after freeing up the magazine box, it was a shooter!

A model 70 has the front action screw behind the recoil lug not into it . Check to see if there is clearance under the recoil lug . If not when you tighten the action screws you bend the action. I fixed one with this same problem at my range with a screw driver and dug out the bedding . Real rough job but it shot better straight away. I agree with " Beef " I think the whole action should be rebedded with pillars by someone who knows Mod 70's .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChelseaK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen magazine box's throw off a rifles accuracy. Correct me if I am wrong but it binds up against the action and throws off the harmonics. There is an article in a hunting magazine about a gentleman and his wife going on a safari hunt. His wife had a really nice custom gun built but found it was not shooting well. They used a back up rifle and tried everything to get it to shoot sub moa with no luck. A disassembly of it, slight filing of the box and re-torque of the action screws after freeing up the magazine box, it was a shooter!

</div></div>
    You are not wrong mate. Mausers will do it also. It can put the action in a bind .

Curious, what is the load combination/barrel length you are shooting?

Had a similar problem with a 243 shooting heavy bullets.

Regards

Gun has been shipped to predator custom shop for a tune up. Shooting 95 grain SST in a 24 inch 1/9 barrel. Can't remember which powder I am on now without my books.

Thanks for all your help.

Is the scope you're using a known good one - meaning, have you used it on a different rifle with known good results?

The reason I ask is because I've had problems with two scopes in the past year that would not hold zero. One of them caused an extra 1/2 inch of variation and the other caused an inch.

I took the zeiss scope off my gap 308 that shoot as good as one can ask and put on the 243 with the same results. The swarovski I took off the 243 shot good on my gap as well.