• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Need Help with Robust Knife Choice

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    I've had shit luck with good knives over the years, so generally I carry $30-$50 knives but i'm looking for something specific this time around and see if I can hold onto it longer than normal. For reference, I've lost 2-3 knives over seas, TSA has janked 2 knives, broke 2, lost probably 2-3 in various places, etc.

I'm an arborist by trade, and my job is specifically to diagnose tree health and soil issues. I do a lot of minor scraping and cutting on twigs and fine roots, a lot of mild digging and scraping in the soil around the trunks, and opening a lot of boxes. Thats probably 80% of what I do with my pocket knife. I do have a larger soil knife for more intrusive work, but in general, I always have my pocket knife on me and so that gets used the most.

Looking for opinions on more robust, smaller pocket knives (~3" blade). Preferably ones with a tougher steel or more abrasion resistant. Not a fan of super pointy tips for my line of work or thin grinds.

As far as budget, all of my knife money goes to fancy kitchen knives, so I'd like to stay around $100 or less. If thats not possible and the solution is a super robust $30 knife that I need to replace once a year, then so be it, but I'm sure theres a good solution out there.

My current knife is a CRKT Pilar with D2 steel, and I've not been a fan. Broke the tip the first week lol.

Open to opinions and options.

How about something like a mini cleaver with a flat tip for scraping soil? Gerber Flatiron, Gerber Quadrant, KaBar MK98-Folder, etc.

I'd say check out either on of these from Kershaw:

I don't have any experience with these directly but have had plenty of Kershaw in the past and they're always top notch for their price. Unfortunately, for your price point there's not a whole lot of variety for high quality blade steels nor for super heavy duty blade profiles/thicknesses so you might have to go the route of using/abusing/replacing.

Reactions: Gustav7
    I'd say check out either on of these from Kershaw:

I don't have any experience with these directly but have had plenty of Kershaw in the past and they're always top notch for their price. Unfortunately, for your price point there's not a whole lot of variety for high quality blade steels nor for super heavy duty blade profiles/thicknesses so you might have to go the route of using/abusing/replacing.

I have heard from multiple people that their heat treats are very solid and it helps make a better knife even when using the more value based steels. Not sure how true that is though.

the beefy well made, Gerber 06 drop-point 3.6" blade . Good work knife, heavy built . You still should be able to pick one up for under/ less than 150-$

I like that one for sure, and simple too. Made in Taiwan is a plus lol.

I need a locking knife. I scrape a lot with the back of the knife and always digging or poking at weird angles.

Looking at this Kizer knife and a Kershaw Blur in Sandvik 14C28N.

Any thoughts on 154CM vs. 14C28N?

I know Kershaw has a great reputation for good heat treat but I don’t know much about Kizer.

You can also get the Kershaw in S30V for $20 more.

I bought a Kizer that was a bust. Was stamped s35vn, but there was an issue with the steel or the heat treat, because it would chip while cutting a sandwich in half. Looked cool, came sharp, was unusable.

I’d say you’re asking for a knife to do too many things.

A beater fixed blade for your tree stuff and a nice folder for boxes.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    I've had shit luck with good knives over the years, so generally I carry $30-$50 knives but i'm looking for something specific this time around and see if I can hold onto it longer than normal. For reference, I've lost 2-3 knives over seas, TSA has janked 2 knives, broke 2, lost probably 2-3 in various places, etc.

I'm an arborist by trade, and my job is specifically to diagnose tree health and soil issues. I do a lot of minor scraping and cutting on twigs and fine roots, a lot of mild digging and scraping in the soil around the trunks, and opening a lot of boxes. Thats probably 80% of what I do with my pocket knife. I do have a larger soil knife for more intrusive work, but in general, I always have my pocket knife on me and so that gets used the most.

Looking for opinions on more robust, smaller pocket knives (~3" blade). Preferably ones with a tougher steel or more abrasion resistant. Not a fan of super pointy tips for my line of work or thin grinds.

As far as budget, all of my knife money goes to fancy kitchen knives, so I'd like to stay around $100 or less. If thats not possible and the solution is a super robust $30 knife that I need to replace once a year, then so be it, but I'm sure theres a good solution out there.

My current knife is a CRKT Pilar with D2 steel, and I've not been a fan. Broke the tip the first week lol.

Open to opinions and options.

I’m as bad a knife slut as I am a running shoe slut I hear 🤔
    I can dull them and temporarily lose them as good as anyone around.
    Three knives here …two Emersons’ made in the USA , and a $8.00 made in China flipper. I have misplaced ( hope) another Emerson I’ve owned and carried for years.
    Of course the Emersons are pricey in comparison ..bout $275.00 a piece BUT they are really well built , I can sharpen the chisel grind easier than any.

The Chinks blade is as sharp if not sharper than the two others. I use them all , don’t baby any. I like the Tantos , wasn’t a fan of serrations but using it on ski rope and such 👍 liking it more and more. The Wave feature is cool and fast , the Wave and flipper one is sweet and also fast opening when needed.
    I got stabbed in the groin area with a Dollar Store Butcher knife a few years ago and I swear I didn’t know where it was made 🥴 Hurt like a mo-fo too !
    I believe you get what you pay for in most things ,same with knives.
    Good luck , let us know what you choose 👍🇺🇸
    IMG_1365.jpeg

If you need a fixed blade one …here’s a good one 👍
    IMG_0311.jpeg

Made locally, maybe a tad pricey ?

Last edited:

I know Kershaw has a great reputation for good heat treat but I don’t know much about Kizer.

I'll let others much more knowledgeable about knife steels respond.

I don't personally have any experience with those options, those came up from a search on square tipped knives or "mini cleavers".

Reactions: Sandhog308

S30V can be harder to sharpen ... there's a trade off between hardness/durability and edge maintenance.

CRKT has some chisel point folders that may interest you

I've been carrying and using a knife daily my entire life. Up until 1.5yr ago or so I carried Kershaw and Benchmade folders with half serrated blades. I also use my knives for everything on a daily basis.. opening boxes, prying, cutting wire jackets, wires, etc.. I beat them up.

The Kershaws and Benchmades have been great but did have to he sharpened frequently for my use. I always carry a sharp knife.

About a year and half ago, I grabbed 2 small Dawson fixed blades with inside the pocket sheaths. Never looked back. Slips down in the pocket nicely with very little hanging out to grab. Extremely durable, feels amazing in the hand, way more strength vs the more flimsy folders and hold a sharp edge longer.

Get some atoma Diamond plates and you can sharpen whatever steel you want.

I recently purchased a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition with blade grinding attachment - and hot damn this thing is awesome.

Sharpens anything. You can even sharpen axes gardening tools, whatever with it.

I recently purchased a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition with blade grinding attachment - and hot damn this thing is awesome.

Sharpens anything. You can even sharpen axes gardening tools, whatever with it.
    Years ago I was looking for used axes on Craigslist and found someone selling a Tormek T8 with all the accessories for reasonable. I would have never paid new price for one. Kinda similar in effort to what you have. I see people spending 3-4x what this costs on a manual sharpener. That's cool and I'm sure you get a nice edge but I can make an axe that has been absent abused for 50 years razor sharp in 5 minutes. Powered sharpeners are the way to go.

I've been carrying and using a knife daily my entire life. Up until 1.5yr ago or so I carried Kershaw and Benchmade folders with half serrated blades. I also use my knives for everything on a daily basis.. opening boxes, prying, cutting wire jackets, wires, etc.. I beat them up.

The Kershaws and Benchmades have been great but did have to he sharpened frequently for my use. I always carry a sharp knife.

About a year and half ago, I grabbed 2 small Dawson fixed blades with inside the pocket sheaths. Never looked back. Slips down in the pocket nicely with very little hanging out to grab. Extremely durable, feels amazing in the hand, way more strength vs the more flimsy folders and hold a sharp edge longer.

I want to love a small fixed blade but my issue was I could never find a comfy belt carry option. I work with clients daily and have to wear a collared work shirt so adding a knife into my belt when I already have a gun and spare mag proves fruitless, so I stuck with folding.

I’m definitely looking into the pocket carry clips cause that might solve my issue.

Do you know who all makes a good pocket carry option? I’m not seeing them on Dawson’s site

I want to love a small fixed blade but my issue was I could never find a comfy belt carry option. I work with clients daily and have to wear a collared work shirt so adding a knife into my belt when I already have a gun and spare mag proves fruitless, so I stuck with folding.

I’m definitely looking into the pocket carry clips cause that might solve my issue.

Do you know who all makes a good pocket carry option? I’m not seeing them on Dawson’s site

I own a commercial IT company, I have the same issue. Collared shirt in office buildings with clients.. knife out on the belt isnt gonna work for me at work.. the EDC knives come with the kydex and leather pocket carry sheath! Have their "Handyman" in my pocket right now! Not sure exactly what others come with the pocket sheaths but check the description.

This is the Dawson Handyman (not made anymore) the replacement is the Outcast I linked above..

This is the one I carry daily for work. The slight curve and shorter handle makes it disappear in my pocket crease.... feels natural and solid in the hand

Gave my daughter a sort of mid sized Swiss Army Knife probably 20 yrs ago.
    If not in her jeans or shorts loose , or a home in her concealed bag right now I’d be 95% surprised. She can Mcgyver the Shit with it ! And does.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    Sweet !! ..no more knives no more knives. ..HELL N
    A Randall has eluded me for some reason ?? Well , Cost 1 , Finding the right one 2.
    Had a lead on one carried in Nam ,all the providence , the whole enchilada .
    Snoozed and Lost 😞
    It’s a beast!

It’s like the short penis answer to the twelve inch penis “What I lack in length, I make up for in girth”

image.jpg

image.jpg

.45 ACP case against spine for scale.

image.jpg

• Love
    Gave my daughter a sort of mid sized Swiss Army Knife probably 20 yrs ago.
    If not in her jeans or shorts loose , or a home in her concealed bag right now I’d be 95% surprised. She can Mcgyver the Shit with it ! And does.
    When I was in the MSG Det Geneva our parting gift was a Swiss Army knife of choice.

Everyone got those stupid two inch thick fat ones with all sorts of useless shit.

I caught shit for choosing this one because it cost so much less than what I could have spent.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It rides in my pack and still gives great service as a secondary.

My EDC is either the William Henry a few posts up or this Benchmade.

image.jpg

William Henry at work Benchmade on weekends.

Thanks pm , I needed that 😉

Work of Art in my mind ! 👍
    Everything we need to know about Sandhogs….never mind.

Much easier to run miles any way without block and tackle beating up your knees.

PS - I bought that off a dude on EBay that seems to have all the Randall’s that can not be bought from Randall.

• Haha
    Everything we need to know about Sandhogs….never mind.

Much easier to run miles any way without block and tackle beating up your knees.

PS - I bought that off a dude on EBay that seems to have all the Randall’s that can not be bought from Randall.

Hummmmm ! Haven’t had much luck on EBay with finding things , but I haven’t sought them out there per se …yet.

I hate running with anything , much less with a S&W Airlight , Dog Douche ..mace ,
    Emerson clipped on shorts , Surefire on my wrist , and three-four Dude Wipes in a little baggie in case of emergencies. Thing is I run mostly in the dark , and the ONE time I slack off , here comes a dog , skunk , groundhog, human …ya never know.
    The discomfort and sweating buckets all over outweighs the running without any protection to me. Old and in the way ,it sucks 👎

Last edited:
    Hummmmm ! Haven’t had much luck on EBay with finding things , but I haven’t sought them out there per se …yet.

I hate running with anything , much less with a S&W Airlight , Dog Douche ..mace ,
    Emerson clipped on shorts , Surefire on my wrist , and three-four Dude Wipes in a little baggie in case of emergencies. Thing is I run mostly in the dark , and the ONE time I slack off , here comes a dog , skunk , groundhog, human …ya never know.
    The discomfort and sweating buckets all over outweighs the running without any protection to me. Old and in the way ,it sucks 👎
    You are truly hardcore!

Lots of Randall’s.

This is the dude I bought mine from….

I own a commercial IT company, I have the same issue. Collared shirt in office buildings with clients.. knife out on the belt isnt gonna work for me at work.. the EDC knives come with the kydex and leather pocket carry sheath! Have their "Handyman" in my pocket right now! Not sure exactly what others come with the pocket sheaths but check the description.

This is the Dawson Handyman (not made anymore) the replacement is the Outcast I linked above..

This is the one I carry daily for work. The slight curve and shorter handle makes it disappear in my pocket crease.... feels natural and solid in the hand

Seems like it would stick way out of your pocket?

Does it just sort of blend in? What’s the comfort like with it driving?

Seems like it would stick way out of your pocket?

Does it just sort of blend in? What’s the comfort like with it driving?

No it actually doesn't. Especially the curved one. It's almost all in my pocket.. I can't even tell its in my pocket. Even when driving

You are truly hardcore!

Just getting old , afraid if I slow down I might lay up and flounder.
    Running in recent temps and humidity has been a bugger. 82f 90%h with no breezes saps the hell out of me. From 8 min mile pace to 9:30 pace isn’t easy as it used to be.
    Did have a bad dog issue that was resolved lately..finally 😡 Got ambushed by a 30ish lb Mutt a couple of times , scared the shit out of me ,Blinded him with my Light ,Maced him in the face and eyes , used a whole can of mace , think he caught a Buzz , didn’t faze him much. Had my .22 out , the owner came out and distracted him long enough for me to get away. Police were called , the ILLEGAL mexican owner said he would chain him. Lasted 2 days , fight and evade again. I called the Police , they went to his Casa , dog went Off on the patrolman , he maced it to get distance.
    Owner got bit trying to control it. Checked the Wets ID , was an illegal with a Warrant out. Pablo went to jail , dog went to its jail , didn’t make bail …ain’t with us anymore 👍 Case solved ! Next 😳
    Life in the fast lane , never a dull moment 🍻

• Haha
    Reactions: pmclaine
    Oh, that’s a beaut!

I’m a fan of using sticks of wood to beat my blades through appropriately sized sticks of wood to create kindling.

Fat spines like these help in that work

This Lile was named the Grey Ghost , according to his widow this was one of the last ones HE personally did most of the work on himself. She stated it my paperwork from them. Quite a chunk of steel ! Be a tough one to wear out , hope it doesn’t ever have to be used. Worth way more than I paid for it years ago now.

Just getting old , afraid if I slow down I might lay up and flounder.
    Running in recent temps and humidity has been a bugger. 82f 90%h with no breezes saps the hell out of me. From 8 min mile pace to 9:30 pace isn’t easy as it used to be.
    Did have a bad dog issue that was resolved lately..finally 😡 Got ambushed by a 30ish lb Mutt a couple of times , scared the shit out of me ,Blinded him with my Light ,Maced him in the face and eyes , used a whole can of mace , think he caught a Buzz , didn’t faze him much. Had my .22 out , the owner came out and distracted him long enough for me to get away. Police were called , the ILLEGAL mexican owner said he would chain him. Lasted 2 days , fight and evade again. I called the Police , they went to his Casa , dog went Off on the patrolman , he maced it to get distance.
    Owner got bit trying to control it. Checked the Wets ID , was an illegal with a Warrant out. Pablo went to jail , dog went to its jail , didn’t make bail …ain’t with us anymore 👍 Case solved ! Next 😳
    Life in the fast lane , never a dull moment 🍻

I have a love/hate relationship with animal control here. They love to hate me 🥴

Goes way back , no reason to call them, I jump the chain and go straight to the police anymore. Animal Control here is a 9-5 , no weekends gig , stray dogs abound.

Not only dogs are an issue, there’s LOTS of skunks that come off the River banks.
    Had a new Mom skunk with at least 6 of her offspring take refuge by digging under my back porch a few years ago. I used my live trap and borrowed one of the cities , baited them with Tuna , which lured her out , in the trap Mom went 👍 Put a towel over the trap , called AC to come get her , took them hours to get here. They have a chain they have attached to the trap , toss it in the River and wait for it to drown. He did this , came back later , pulled the trap out of the water , he opened the door , it came alive and sprayed the shit out of him 😂😂. He was pissed at me , Hell still is !

I said piss on the traps, they were smart enough to avoid going in anyway after two fell for the tuna surprise. Soooo..
    I concocted MY own trap !! Placed Rebar vertically in a specific location , wrapped it with a some concertina wire , had treble hooks hanging from it. One after the other came out and into my “ Halo of Death” and got hung up. If they hadn’t gone off before, they did then. Foul assed smelling MF’ers 🥴
    If they hadn’t yet , they sprayed when I gave them a head shot ! Thankfully there is a product called Skunk-Off that actually gets rid of the smell. Breaks down the enzymes or something like that. Put them in a bag and ..got rid of them. I have a gas mask from the Navy that’s worth gold !!👍 I have the rep of being a skunk killer supreme around these parts 😬

Last edited:
    Reactions: charbroiled
    No it actually doesn't. Especially the curved one. It's almost all in my pocket.. I can't even tell its in my pocket. Even when driving

I know it was probably hard to visualize. Here a picture of what I was talking about how it kinda lays/disappears into the crease of my pocket. This is the longer/straight Dawson. The shorter, curved disappears even more and sits lower...

Not for in the office but... Dawson made from Magnacut alloy
    marauderblkwhite.jpg

Last edited:
    For a folder: Cold Steel Recon 1, choose your preference of spear point, clip point, or tanto.
    For a fixed blade: Mora Garberg, choose your preference of stainless steel or carbon steel for maybe more toughness.

Lots of Randall’s.

This is the dude I bought mine from….

Darn you for posting this…. 😎

Always have liked that Fireman since you first posted it a few years ago.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I've had the samee CRKT M21-14SFG for the last 12 years. The veff serrations make short work of most shrubbery of thumb diameter or less and up to 2" is a chore but capable. I've batoned it, use it as a hammer, thrown it. Just when I think I've lost it, it comes back, a good trait for a pocket knife 😁 highly recommended

Corrosion resistance is pretty good too, it'll rust if it's very severely neglected, but this knife has been pretty damn neglected save for a sharpening here and there and I don't have a Corrosion issues with it. CRKT also used to send out rebuild kits. Don't know if they do or not anymore. Cabelas sells a tapered sharpening stick that's the perfect profile to bring the serrations back from the grave when you eventually wear them down

Attachments

• 20230810_101811.jpg
      20230810_101811.jpg
      321.7 KB · Views: 22
    • 20230810_101851.jpg
      20230810_101851.jpg
      304.1 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited: