• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with scope selection

Cmelde01

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2024
Texas
I need some opinions on a new scope.
  • What is the platform for the scope? Remington Sendero SF-II
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300WM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting and occasional target and steel plinking
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight and Low light
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 0-600yrds and maybe out to 1000 on occasion
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, 50mm objective, relatively light, MRAD
  • What is the price range you can afford? $1600 or less

So I’ve been doing a lot of research lately and I’m relatively new with bolts guns in general. I’ve looked at the vortex razor 4.5-27 and unfortunately I think it may be on the heavy side putting my rifle at roughly 11.5lbs… so started searching again and was looking at the Leupold mk5 good on the weight but kinda of expensive if you want illuminated reticle. Next up was Nightforce Nx8 2.5-20x50 with the MILXT reticle. I got to hold both a Mk5 5-25 and a NX8 2.5-20 scopes by themselves. Right off the bat I noticed that eye box on the NX8 seemed to be a little bit more difficult as in you had to put your eye just in the right spot compared to the the Mk5. ( Would this be better/ easier to deal with once mounted to a rifle?) That being said I’ve seen post talk about the eye box some people it doesn’t bother others it does. Not sure if this was an early model or not it was in a MoA reticle. Im curious on y’all’s opinions between these two optics or other options. Id like to know more about the NX8 eyebox from people with some time behind the 2.5-20. I’ve heard that the eyebox is better on the 4-32 would like some info on that as well, maybe I could squeeze that into my budget! TIA

Last edited: