• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with sling attachment options

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
I have a mostly stock S&W M&P 15x and I am running the Redi-Mag 2 point adjustable sling. This sling has to be attached to the front sling swivel under the sight post and slips through a slot in the stock. I am think I want to attach at least one HK hook to the front. I would also like to get the rear attachment point to the end plate with an HK hook but I am open to using a QD cup release thing... Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I am aware of the products put out by redi-mag but want to avoid them because of added bulk/clutter.

rifle
Product: Model M&P15X Rifle

sling
2P Tactical Quick Adjustable Sling

I have a mostly stock S&W M&P 15x and I am running the Redi-Mag 2 point adjustable sling. This sling has to be attached to the front sling swivel under the sight post and slips through a slot in the stock. I am think I want to attach at least one HK hook to the front. I would also like to get the rear attachment point to the end plate with an HK hook but I am open to using a QD cup release thing... Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I am aware of the products put out by redi-mag but want to avoid them because of added bulk/clutter.

rifle
Product: Model M&P15X Rifle

sling
2P Tactical Quick Adjustable Sling

I've never liked HK hooks, especially on AR rifles as they clank around and make alot of noise and ding up the rail. For a 2-point setup I feel they have alot of disadvantages.

I'd suggest something like the Daniel Defense Rail Mount with the QD swivel:

Daniel Defense Rail Mount QD Sling Swivel

The rear you have a few more options. You can either change stocks to a MagPul or LMT SOCOM with the integrated QD swivel attachment point already in them, get a end plate from one of the million manfucaturers that make them (I'd get either a Daniel Defense or Bravo Co.) but will have to have the buffer tube taken off or get a Daniel Defense attachment point that clamps onto your buffer tube:

Daniel Defense EZ Carbine QD Swivel Attachment Point

I know it looks funky, but I found that a little of the dark colored or camo colored "duct tape" helps quiet down noisy slings, the HK hooks. The obvious issue is that taping the HK type hook completely negates the hook's ability to be quickly removed and installed.

I wonder if something like the rubber dog tag silencers would help?

I am not opposed to using flush cups, I just question their strength. I know that is unreasonable considering so many people use them and on their bolt guns that can be much heavier then my little ol' AR.

If using flush cups my options are now to use an attachment at the end plate or purchase a new stock. I like the idea of the end plate as it's cheaper. However, are there any major draw backs to having a 2 point sling with one point of attachment at the end plate? Does it interfer with cheek weld or sightalignment? I'm a right handed shooter so I rest the gun in my right shoulder pocket. Will the strap choke me? Should I just suck it up and get a new new stock?

If you have a standard M4 stock as pictured in the M&P15 image, that isn't an issue. Your handguard is where the forward mounting point becomes more of a decision. I always free-float my handguards, and use QD sling swivels, preferably on handguards that already have a QD socket.

Since I use the sling as a shooting sling, the last thing I want to do is impose tension onto the barrel, therefore free-float is the only real option.