• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with SPR set up for hog hunting

Old Coach

Minuteman
Jul 5, 2007
WNC
I just ordered a SPR upper from WOA. Mid length gas system.
Delivery in 6-8 months, so I have some time to complete the rifle.
I have a new RRA lower with the adj. stock and RRA NM trigger.
I will use the rifle mainly for hog hunting, shooting the Win 64grn Razorback ammo.
What buffer tube and spring for the mid-length gas upper?
Where can I get a good A2 stock?
Any other suggestions for stock beshdes the A2?
What flash-hider?
John is using his varmint handguard, anything better to suggest?
All help appreciated.

Coach

I've got an A2 laying in my parts bin. I used to have it on my SPR. I switched out to a SOPMOD and much prefer that. If you're wanting an A2 shoot me a PM, but I'll say I much prefer a collapsible.

Flash hider or muzzle brake really come down to personal preference and what you want it to do. I have a JP Bennie Cooley Comp on my .223s and absolutely love it. There is no muzzle climb and very little felt recoil. It makes follow-up shots super fast. My friends are not so fond of it if they are anywhere near me when I shoot. It isn't fun to be standing beside it when fired. You what purpose you want the muzzle device to serve and then start looking at devices that fit those needs.

Last edited:
Can the brake and use just a flashhider( brake too loud). I prefer the CTR unless barrel is over 18in.

For a rifle A2 length buttstock, I like the looks of the new Magpul moe: STOCKS - MOE® Rifle Stock
Or, a regular A2 is great too.
For a collapsible, I love the Magpul STR on my SPR. It gives a more comfortable cheek weld than a plain ctr, to me.
For an 18" mid gas system, I'd probably run an H buffer. My 16" mid likes a carbine buffer. For muzzle device, check out the griffin m4sd II: M4SD II Flash Comp - Griffin Armament it is getting rave reviews for recoil and flash reduction, while not being too blasty.

I run a UBR on my SPR. It balances the rifle out very well when running the OPS INC 12th model suppressor.

For a flash hider, you really can't beat a suppressor. The OPS INC 12th model is the quietest .223 suppressor that I have heard to date.

For a hand guard, I really like the New Noveske NSR rails. They are slim and lightweight. The keymod accessory mounting system is far superior to fixed rails or screw on rails.

I also run an enidine buffer on mine.

Coach,

I've got a new OD green Magpul A2 stock I'd sell you if you want to try an A2 set up. Just stock, no tube, spring or buffer.

BC