• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need help with STI DVC Identification

Islander

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Cody, WY
    Hoping someone with a little more knowledge of these pistols out there can shed some light on my situation. I recently sold my STI DVC open pistol to a guy. I bought if new from a dealer about a year after they were first introduced. When this guy received the pistol, he said it wasn’t a “factory built” gun because it had a serial number prefix of TG and not TX. He said his buddy is an “STI expert” and stated the gun was just a parts gun as the TG serial numbers meant it was a frame sold to Tim Graves which he may have built or sold just the frame. I tried searching info on Tim Graves but seems he is no longer in business. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

a quick look shows i have STI's with serial numbers that start with TG and TE, one being the DVC Open which i think is one of the first of those shipped. i don't think i have any that start with TX.

a quick look shows i have STI's with serial numbers that start with TG and TE, one being the DVC Open which i think is one of the first of those shipped. i don't think i have any that start with TX.
    Sorry, senior moment, I meant TE.

Thanks for the info guys. I finally got the guy to admit it’s a factory built pistol. Now he’s telling me it’s really beat up and not worth what he paid for it. 🤦‍♂️
    Lesson learned, no more selling online.

Thanks for the info guys. I finally got the guy to admit it’s a factory built pistol. Now he’s telling me it’s really beat up and not worth what he paid for it. 🤦‍♂️
    Lesson learned, no more selling online.

Selling online is just another tool, don't let one idiot deter you.

If you were 100% honest about the gun's condition, then not being happy is 100% on the buyer.

That said, I always under-promise and over-deliver so everyone ends up happy and there's no BS after the fact. Not everyone does it this way though, even when doing so wouldn't matter: a few years ago I bought a Razor HDG2 off the PX here and the dude "totally forgot" to mention that the turret caps were trashed and one needed to become MacGuyver with a Benchmade to remove them... ticked me off a little even though all it took was a 1-minute call to Vortex CS to have brand new replacements headed my way.

Selling online is just another tool, don't let one idiot deter you.

If you were 100% honest about the gun's condition, then not being happy is 100% on the buyer.

That said, I always under-promise and over-deliver so everyone ends up happy and there's no BS after the fact. Not everyone does it this way though, even when doing so wouldn't matter: a few years ago I bought a Razor HDG2 off the PX here and the dude "totally forgot" to mention that the turret caps were trashed and one needed to become MacGuyver with a Benchmade to remove them... ticked me off a little even though all it took was a 1-minute call to Vortex CS to have brand new replacements headed my way.
    Yes, you’re right. I’m the same way, go out of my way to be accurate. I sent lots of pictures and asked if he wanted more of anything specific. I’ve sold lots of guns, parts, etc on various forums in the past and have always had folks tell me they were satisfied or that it was better than described. This was the first time it’s ever been the opposite. He changed his mind about buying it three times before I finally shipped it. I think he had buyer’s remorse and started to come up with things to try and back out of the deal. Anyway life goes on.
    Thanks again for the help, @Zak Smith, that article was money!

Reactions: CK1.0