• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with stray round

MrSwede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
NJ
Hi guys,
I've loaded up some 125grs Nosler Ballistic Tips to use on deer this season.

I'm using a Rem 700 VSF with a Zeiss Conquest 4,5-14x50.

Now, with all other ammunition I have used to date this gun has no change in POI from cold bore and onwards.
Nato, 155 Scenar, 155 Custom Competition, 185 Lapua Mega, 167 Scenars, all of these have shown no change in POI from round 1 and onwards.

Imagine my frustration when, on the last 4 trips to the range and using the 125grain Nosler Ballistic Tip,
every single cold bore shot has gone atleast 4 inches high.
4 inches! Shots 2,3,4 etc makes a ragged hole, but that first shot always goes high.

I just dont get it!

I've been on the range, been superfocused on the problem, dryfired before the coldboreshot, taken my sweet time..

Nothing. 4 inches high, atleast, every single time.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Specs:

Rem 700 VSF .308
Zeiss Conquest 4,5-14x50
Bell & Carlson Light Tactical Stock
Farrel Base (20 MOA)
Warne QD rings
Harris bipod

This stuff is keeping me up at night..

Re: Need help with stray round

First off that is quite the bullet weight range. 125 gr up to 185 gr., but apparently it does not matter if you can shoot one ragged hole with all of them.

Condensation in the bore!

Cleaner residue!

Alternatively, the real pisser….Throat erosion: An erratic cold bore shot could be the sign of a barrel being burned out.
I’m not saying yours is, but wild cold bore shots become noticeable before known flyers are prevalent.
Explanation your 125‘s are probably shorter then your 155-185 bullets and could be setting at a bad spot in the throat..

Just my opinion

Re: Need help with stray round

Shoot one shot before you go hunting and leave the bore 'dirty'.

Good luck

Jerry