• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need help with suppressor understanding

LOBO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2003
Mississippi
I have a Q Thunder Chicken in jail at the moment. When I decided on this model I didn't realize the Cherry Bomb mount(s) didn't have wrench flats. Am I married to the Cherry Bomb mount(s) or can I use another type of mount for this suppressor that preferably has wrench flats? Looking for a 1/2-28 mount for my AR-15 and 5/8-24 for my bolt gun. Can I use something like a Xeno brake? If so, would I just get the Xeno brake, remove the factory flash hider from my AR-15, install the Xeno, and then install the suppressor?

I read the directions for my Q Thunder Chicken about using Rocksette, and it might work perfectly, but I would really feel better if the mount had wrench flats to hopefully help stave off the mount from getting stuck in the suppressor.

I’ll let others weigh in on the question of switching to a different mount, but if the mount gets stuck, it’s easy to get off. Buy a couple jam nuts, one for each thread pattern. Then you thread the nut onto the muzzle, followed by the can, tighten the jam nut up against the can mount with a wrench, unscrew the can off the mount by hand, then pop the jam nut loose using the wrench.

You gotta keep a couple cheap jam nuts lying around but it’s not hard to get the mount unstuck. Good luck with the easier method of just getting a mount with wrench flats tho, I support you 👍

Reactions: LOBO
Reardon has muzzle devices, far superior to the CB, with the same taper. Check em out
Will the Reardon FH and RPB work with my Q Thunder Chicken? Not too long, ie hit a baffle? I just install the Reardon FH or RPB on my barrel then the Q TC? Does the Reardon FH and RPB work ok with a square shoulder barrel?

Thanks for the help. Very new to the suppressor world.

So far I have applied Rocksette on all my threads fairly heavily then put the torque down on the Cherry Bomb. Have several rifles with them installed along with a variety of suppressors……and have never had a problem with the Cherry Bomb coming loose. I actually have the opposite concern….what if I ever swap mounts and have to get the Cherry Bomb off! That may be a challenge 😬

Will the Reardon FH and RPB work with my Q Thunder Chicken? Not too long, ie hit a baffle? I just install the Reardon FH or RPB on my barrel then the Q TC? Does the Reardon FH and RPB work ok with a square shoulder barrel?

Thanks for the help. Very new to the suppressor world.
I do not know the lengths of the muzzle devices, or distance to first baffle in a thunder chicken. Your FFL might let you bring your caliper down, and measure from the back of the can, or the taper, or wherever you find a consistent point, to the first baffle. The actual dimension you seek, I'm sure is already available.

As far as installing the device; my recommendation would be proper timing shims, and a thread locker of sorts. Be it red loctite or rocksett.

Do you have square or tapered barrel shoulders? I want to leave mine square which I read is ok.

How much Rocksette did you use? Use it on barrel and cherry bomb threads or?

Hand tight on threading the suppressor or torque it?

Are you using Q suppressors?

Any recommendation on which Reardon device is compatible with the thunder chicken?

Do you have square or tapered barrel shoulders? I want to leave mine square which I read is ok.

Square (actually verified concentric/square to bore)

I use red loctite; few drops on barrel threads, torque to shims. Never had a problem.

A good hand snug. Verify after a few rounds. Taper mounts have less issue with coming loose.

No. Too much douche involved, and I am a F1 guy.

Both….Sig 716i has a taper, others are square.
I keep a bottle handy and just swab up the barrel threads.
Just hand tight on the suppressor and check it now and then.
Just one, a Thunder Chicken. It is a good suppressor, but does have more back pressure than some others. I suggest an adjustable gas block if you plan on using it on a 7.62 AR10.

😂 You know the old saying... "Friends don't let friends buy Q."
Haha I wish I'd heard that before I committed to the El Camino.

On the other hand, it's a great little can, but still. Wish I'd sent my money to someone else.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have a Q Thunder Chicken in jail at the moment. When I decided on this model I didn't realize the Cherry Bomb mount(s) didn't have wrench flats. Am I married to the Cherry Bomb mount(s) or can I use another type of mount for this suppressor that preferably has wrench flats? Looking for a 1/2-28 mount for my AR-15 and 5/8-24 for my bolt gun. Can I use something like a Xeno brake? If so, would I just get the Xeno brake, remove the factory flash hider from my AR-15, install the Xeno, and then install the suppressor?

I read the directions for my Q Thunder Chicken about using Rocksette, and it might work perfectly, but I would really feel better if the mount had wrench flats to hopefully help stave off the mount from getting stuck in the suppressor.

Rearden and Liberty precision machine have Q compatible mounts. I'd email or call them to see what models fit inside the TC.

Reactions: kthomas
Use rockset and torque the CB to the recommended value (30 ft lbs) and you shouldn’t have any issues with getting the mount stuck inside the can. Q says to twist the can on hand-tight, though I have found that 20 ft lbs keeps it from backing off the mount without being so tight it gets stuck.

Though you could use another mount, Rearden does say that use of their mount voids your Q warranty. So, yeah, you are kind of married to the CB. You can get a divorce, but it may cost you...

Thanks for the help everyone. Ordered a Rearden flash hider from Modern Warrior. Guy was nice enough to take a Thunder Chicken off the shelf to make sure they were compatible. Can’t recommend them enough. Thanks again.

Reactions: kthomas