• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with surplus ammo (30-06)

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    Recently, at a local gun shop, I have been making payments for a Pre-A1 RIA 1903 Springfield that I will post details of later. While I was there, I asked if he had any US surplus ammo to go with it. He said yes and, after I dug it out, I figured it was the perfect thing to go with the rifle. One cigar box of assorted military ammo. It seems so nostalgic to buy an 03 Springfield and a cigar box full of ammo. Anyway, I would like to get opinions on what I got, so here is a list.

1. The cigar box itself is for Uncle Willie 6 Cent Perfecto cigars. On the end of the box is a county tax stamp for 50 cents from my county. Not worth much but very cool!

2. The majority of the ammo (approximately 86 rds.) appeared to be standard M2 Ball with the headstamp FA53. It cleaned up pretty nice and I plan to use it. I'm not sure if it's corrosive or not.

3. My favorite. 19 rounds of M22 Frangible Training ammo. If you don't know what this is, look it up. I don't plan to fire this but I think it's neat. All dated 1945.

4. 10 rounds of ret tip tracer dated FA33. This stuff looks like crap. Don't plan to fire it.

5. 5 rounds of red tip tracer dated FA41. Same as above.

6. 2 rounds of Ball ammo stamped TW42. Don't know what to make of that.

7. One round of U.S.C. Co. ball ammo dated 1918. Not rare but very cool.

He wanted $30 for the lot but I traded a pretty much ruined 96 Mauser action for it. The thread's closed but it's still in the PX. What y'all think?

The Frankford Arsenal FA 53 is non corrosive.

The Frangible ammo would be more desirable in the original box, but cool none the less. Do a search for the RP-63 Kingcobra "Pinball " aerial gunnery target aircraft.

Everything pre-1950's is corrosive primed. As has been said, FA=Frankford Arsenal. TW=Twin City.

I have loaded some 40's and 50's FA and TW brass. Wasn't impressed next to my LC 60's/70's stuff, but it works.

IIRC the US went to non-corrosive primers sometime in 1952 so anything dated 52 may or may not be corrosive, anything after that you should be safe.

FA started producing non corrosive 30-06 M2 in October 1951 starting with Lot number 4149... anything with a headstamp of FA 52 or later is non corrosive. TW started M2 non corrosive Priming in May 1950.