• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with Wilson Combat 6 arc issue

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
I put a new 18” wilson combat on. With it I installed a new superlative arms gas block and new gas tube. Went to the range and was getting zero gas back to the bcg and it wasnt cycling. Had to hand eject. No sign of carbon on the brass.

Took the gas block off and installed a different new superlative gas block and new gas tube. Blew thru it before installing and was getting air flow. Install it on the barrel with the spaghetti noodle method to ensure alignment. Took it to the range and again failed to cycle at all. Had to hand eject and brass was clean no carbon. Could it be the gas port on the barrel isnt big enough. Should I send it back to Wilson Combat? I tried running the superlative in the wide open to over gas it to see if would do anything. I tried a few rounds in the bleed off setting on the superlative and nothing.

Remove the spagetti noodle 🤦🏼‍♂️

Kidding, I hope. Never heard of that method.

After you’ve confirmed correct tube length was used
Remove the bolt From carrier, are there gas rings on it? Then slide a piece of weed eater line through the gas key & it should be visible in the bolt bore.
Maybe I’m special, but have actually had a primer lodged in the gas key once.

Remove the spagetti noodle 🤦🏼‍♂️

Kidding, I hope. Never heard of that method.

After you’ve confirmed correct tube length was used
Remove the bolt From carrier, are there gas rings on it? Then slide a piece of weed eater line through the gas key & it should be visible in the bolt bore.
Maybe I’m special, but have actually had a primer lodged in the gas key once.
Removed the noodle. Had never heard of that before but someone suggested it on the 6arc facebook page so I tried it just to make sure gas ports were aligned. Ill try what you mentioned.

Right now on the WC website they are showing 6 arc with their intermediate length system. They also produced older 6 arc barrels with a longer rifle length? gas system.

• Length of the Intermediate Gas Tube Measures 13.25"
  • Proprietary to Wilson Combat Intermediate Gas System

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GAS-TUBE-INTERMEDIATE-LENGTH/productinfo/TR-GTI/
The barrel came with their gas tube in the package and thats the one I used at first. Then tried another intermediate gas tube.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
The barrel came with their gas tube in the package and thats the one I used at first. Then tried another intermediate gas tube.
Not sure if you are aware but not all intermediate gas tubes are the same length. That's the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment. Good luck!

Not sure if you are aware but not all intermediate gas tubes are the same length. That's the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment. Good luck!
I measured the one that came with the barrel I had on at first that didn’t work. It was 13.25” so pretty sure it was the wilson intermediate tube. Ill measure the second one I installed.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
Although opening up the gas port might be the ultimate solution, there are a number of other issues which may be the problem. If you want to troubleshoot possible issues further, a detailed description/parts list of your build would be a start.

Aero thunder ranch upper/lower. Aero bcg. Jp scs. TT diamond trigger. Wilson barrel 18” intermediate gas. Superlative adjustable gas block. Running with thunderbeast ultra 7.

The ballistic advantage 6 arc barrel I had on previously ran with zero issues.

Reactions: 338dude
I had to open the gas hole a bit on my Wilson 6mm ARC to get it to function right.

Wilson cuts the holes on the small side.
Yassir. My 708 AR barrel did same BS as OP's until I drilled it out. Wire gauge drill bit kit. Harbor Freight.

Reactions: 338dude
Aero thunder ranch upper/lower. Aero bcg. Jp scs. TT diamond trigger. Wilson barrel 18” intermediate gas. Superlative adjustable gas block. Running with thunderbeast ultra 7.

The ballistic advantage 6 arc barrel I had on previously ran with zero issues.
Under-gassed while running a suppressor is uncommon. Opening up the port when using an AGB has few drawbacks, but I suspect something else.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
UPDATE: I reinstalled the wilson gas tube. The other one was definitely too short. I also drilled out the gas port with a 0.089” wire gauge drill bit. Took it to the range and it cycled perfectly. Set superlative gas block in bleed off mode and adjusted to 3 oclock ejection. Ran it with 5 rounds out of the magazine. No issues.

UPDATE: I reinstalled the wilson gas tube. The other one was definitely too short. I also drilled out the gas port with a 0.089” wire gauge drill bit. Took it to the range and it cycled perfectly. Set superlative gas block in bleed off mode and adjusted to 3 oclock ejection. Ran it with 5 rounds out of the magazine. No issues.
How are you liking the WC barrel now that you've had it a while?
Looking to pick up a barrel but the intermediate gas length has me concerned..

How are you liking the WC barrel now that you've had it a while?
Looking to pick up a barrel but the intermediate gas length has me concerned..
Not a 6 ARC, but I have a 16" WC in 5.56 w/Intermediate gas & it's slightly over-gassed. I did not use an AGB or adjustable gas key as I normally do, but it could benefit from one, but it functions OK & is more accurate than I expected, cleans up well & has a nice looking bore.

Had a (tight) HS problem, but corrected that & since then it's been a good barrel, especially for what I paid for it.

MM

Reactions: B-P-UU
I put a new 18” wilson combat on. With it I installed a new superlative arms gas block and new gas tube. Went to the range and was getting zero gas back to the bcg and it wasnt cycling. Had to hand eject. No sign of carbon on the brass.

Took the gas block off and installed a different new superlative gas block and new gas tube. Blew thru it before installing and was getting air flow. Install it on the barrel with the spaghetti noodle method to ensure alignment. Took it to the range and again failed to cycle at all. Had to hand eject and brass was clean no carbon. Could it be the gas port on the barrel isnt big enough. Should I send it back to Wilson Combat? I tried running the superlative in the wide open to over gas it to see if would do anything. I tried a few rounds in the bleed off setting on the superlative and nothing.
Wilson combat barrels come with a super small gas port! I had to drill mine out on my 6.5 grendal barrel! Runs great now

Wilson combat barrels come with a super small gas port! I had to drill mine out on my 6.5 grendal barrel! Runs great now
Yeah, the strange thing is WC sells a 6 ARC upper using this same barrel and the reviews seem to be very positive.. no mention of gas port issues.

Yeah, the strange thing is WC sells a 6 ARC upper using this same barrel and the reviews seem to be very positive.. no mention of gas port issues.
There is a mention of small gas port on the 7-08 WC barrels. ;)

Reactions: hseII