• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED HELP!! Zeroing in optics

vatche labbad

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2023
California
Hey guys ok I need some help.. my rifle is pretty accurate, and i have a leupold mark5 attached to it.. I’ll post a picture of my groupings.. but I’m having an issue, my scope is literally on the lowest setting for elevation, and I can’t get my aim right.. I have to hold under almost half a mrad to hit center.. why??? How can I fix this?? I have had a “prs shooter” try to help me figure it out but we couldn’t get the new zero lower than it is.. any suggestions????
ECEA4A72-23F4-44AC-BEBD-F6E6F011AEB7.jpeg
FD4049A2-6BDC-46A2-AA02-759EA5258B1D.jpeg

Adjust your zero stop. Multiple threads here talking about how to

I mentioned that we did that, that’s what the PRS guy showed me how to do so since I haven’t experienced a zero stop before.. it won’t go any lower..
Did you take the cap off and use a coin to dial the elevation turret down while the cap was off?

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Would you be against running a 200yd zero? I assume you have the windage squared away. You might be right in the ballpark for it right now. You wouldn't have to buy anything or really move anything other than your zero stop again once on.

Would you be against running a 200yd zero? I assume you have the windage squared away. You might be right in the ballpark for it right now. You wouldn't have to buy anything or really move anything other than your zero stop again once on.
I guess that’s not a bad solution.. but I’m just tripping out why I can’t get it @100yrds
I’m going to call leupold Monday maybe defective??

I would guess it's not scope related. You just had all the tolerances of the individual parts/pieces stack up not in your favor. Maybe try taking it all apart into individual components and slap it all back together. What do you have to lose?

Personally, I would say get rid of that mount. I'm sure someone will say it's fine. But I think traditional rings are the better way to go. But that's just me.

You also haven't addressed where you are in the total travel for a fact. Counting up off your zero...how much "UP" travel do you have? Versus the stated total travel spec? Do you know for a fact you're on the bottom and not just being boned by the zero stop?

Another possibility is you have a canted rail and a added scope mount with bias in it as well. Like a 20 MOA rail and a 20 MOA scope mount. 40 MOA for example might be too much bias for your scope/rifle setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH
I would guess it's not scope related. You just had all the tolerances of the individual parts/pieces stack up not in your favor. Maybe try taking it all apart into individual components and slap it all back together. What do you have to lose?

Personally, I would say get rid of that mount. I'm sure someone will say it's fine. But I think traditional rings are the better way to go. But that's just me.

You also haven't addressed where you are in the total travel for a fact. Counting up off your zero...how much "UP" travel do you have? Versus the stated total travel spec? Do you know for a fact you're on the bottom and not just being boned by the zero stop?

Another possibility is you have a canted rail and a added scope mount with bias in it as well. Like a 20 MOA rail and a 20 MOA scope mount. 40 MOA for example might be too much bias for your scope/rifle setup.
The Mount is a 0MOA mount.. no cant.. it’s a 1.250 height ..

I haven’t counted how much “up” travel I have maybe I should count..

And yes I’m completely on the lowest side and go down from the “zero” after that

Leupy has very good tech guys doing some of their public outreach. Watch this video, it talks quite a bit about how to deal with this.

Reactions: 6/250/40
I just pulled an MK5 off a rifle that had a 20moa ARC mount on a 20MOA rial and zeroed just fine at 100yds.

I also recently bought a strike eagle scope that came in a Warren mount(on another forum)...I thought the scope was broken...windage adjusted full left and holding as far left as I could and still see the target at 100yds gun was still shooting about 3ft right.
Put the scope in an ARC mount and wind-age was 2/10s left of center of travel to zero at 100yds...I would try a different mount or set of rings.

What mount is that by the way?

I got a MK5 on a 20 MOA cant rail and rings. No issues getting to a 100yd zero with bottoming the Elevation dial on initial setup.
I think I have like 1 MIL that I can go down with the dial. It's been too long since I messed with it.

So I'd expect your rifle rail to be 20 MOA along the scope mount at 0 MOA. It's not any real difference at that point. That would tell me your scope isn't dialed as low as possible. Some of your posts read like you removed the caps, but I just didn't read it that way.

The caps have to be completely off. Flat tip screwdriver, coin, or whatever fits run the Elevation internals all the way Down. Be careful at the bottom. It feels like it's almost there (like one click left). Put the cap on, tighten the set screws. Bring the Elevation Up 10 MIL (should be about one full turn of the cap). Now set the Zero Stop as the manual states. This should give you a baseline to get on paper, then adjust the dials as needed. If you need more Down, the Zero Stop doesn need to be depressed. After you are happy, set the caps as you want.

Reactions: Lyle2231
that’s what the PRS guy showed me how to do so since I haven’t experienced a zero stop before.. it won’t go any lower..
Perhaps you could review the user manual and attempt to adjust the zero-stop while reading at home. It is possible that he didn't adjust it correctly. At the very least, you should become familiar with your scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
Why is your mount so far back? I am going to guess you have shitty body positioning and eye relief. Please take a class on how to shoot a precision rifle, they will teach you how to setup the rifle. Your scope is like 3-4 inches to far to the rear.

In the picture it looks like you have a lot of gap between the upper and lower rings..... is it like that on both sides? What is the mount?

Is it possible to get a 35mm scope into 34 mm rings?