• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need ideas for my first bolt action.

onemanmafia99

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
Okay guys I'm new to this forum but i figured as far as bolt action goes your the best people to ask. Right now i own an AK 47 and a PTR 91. Both are very solid rifles but i dont want to put a scope on the PTR. I'm looking into getting my first bolt action rifle and trying to get my accuracy better. I really like the guns AI is putting out, they look like solid rifles, and lets face it they just look really kick ass. Same with Barrett's 338 lapua rifle. Unfortunately I'm on a budget and i sure as hell cant afford those rifles. What are some good rifles chambered in 338 lapua or 300 winchester mag? I'm not looking to spend more than 1500. If there is no real options at that price would it be easier to get an M1a or AR10 and put a scope on it? I'm not going to shoot more than 400-500 yards. I know the Remington 700 is a solid rifle in 308 and ive heard good things about savage too.

Thanks, Matt

Re: Need ideas for my first bolt action.

Everybody's going to say this, so I'll kick off the discussion with the usual sounds like you aren't reloading, so accuracy games = match ammo. In that case, 338LM and to a lesser degree 300WM and 'on a budget' are a bad combination.

I am not on a budget but I still have a twisted love affair with 308. Call it gauranteed ammo availability, fair pricing, 60 years of benchmarked load data or any combo of those. May I recommend this caliber since you are already familiar with it. If going for accuracy means developing your ballistics skillset, I might also recommend 223 or a fine 22LR.

For the best feedback, please confirm if $1500 is your package total - that is: rifle, scope, rings, bipod, rail.

Welcome to the hide.

A few questions:
What are you using this for?
Do you NEED a 338lm or 300wm for your purpose?
Would a smaller cartridge do for your purpose?
Is $1500 the total budget for rifle, ammo, scope and accessories?
What are the long-term prospects? (tactical matches, paper punching at a mile, varmint hunting at 1000 yards? This will help us with the length of the action you would need.)

These all will help us help you.

Based on the above mention 500 yard, I would recommend a .308, Remington 700, SPS package, 10x bushnell scope, 1 piece base and rings. Invest in decent ammo (run and gun from Southwest Ammo is inexpensive at $17.00 a box of 20, $20 for a box of match.)

May even look at a .243. They are hot rifles with the new bullets out.

Savage or Remington are both solid rifles and for $1,500 you can have a really nice piece. But I'd steer clear of the 338 or 300 if you just now getting comfortable behind a bolt gun. There are many calibers to look at; .308, .260 Rem, 6.5CM, 7mm, etc. Use the search function for some of these calibers and see which one will more closely fit your main purpose for the gun.

+1 for the .308
smile.gif

Do-not-shoot-magnums!

If your total build cost is $1,500 scope included, I'd look at a nice Savage, or Howa 308.
If $1,500 doesn't include optics, go with a Remmy (I have to say this so everyone doesn't rip me apart, although, I like Howas).

You could even do a Winchester 70 Stealth Shadow, or a FN PBR. Both are reltively inexpensive if you can find them. They shoot pretty darn good OTB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JES629</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage or Remington are both solid rifles and for $1,500 you can have a really nice piece. But I'd steer clear of the 338 or 300 if you just now getting comfortable behind a bolt gun. There are many calibers to look at; .308, .260 Rem, 6.5CM, 7mm, etc. Use the search function for some of these calibers and see which one will more closely fit your main purpose for the gun. </div></div>

Not trying to start ANYTHING but my last "off the shelf" 700 has had more than its share of problems. None of which Remington has taken care of! I have several Remingtons in the safe and all are great shooters but all of them were produced prior to Freedom Arms purchasing the company. I don't own a Savage so I can't comment but alot of guys on here have great luck with them.

"Problems" are typically endemic of the User...feel free to wax eloquent on your contrived "issues".

I don't feel that Remmy's have problems, so to speak. They do require work and MIGHT not be for someone that is a beginner and/or has no clue how to maintain rifles such as the 700. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think I'm way off base. Remmy's are good guns, hands down, maybe just not a "gun for dummies".

Hard to beat a Rem 700 in .308. The SPS or P model are great rifles. At a Good price. With lots of extras out there. Great First bolt gun.

Living Large, I would tend to agree...but in this case after 3 separate shooters, 2 being military, and having the same result I would have to say its the rifle. The bolt face doesn't apprear to be flat. There is not a uniform brass pattern on the bolt face and I am not getting a proper gas pattern on the crown. After having a smith look it, it would apprear as if the barrel may have chattered a small amount while the crown was being cut. After speaking to Remingtons customer service, they indicated this rifle is within spec and stated that anything done to it by them would be at my expense. I don't consider 3" moa an acceptable spec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Living Large, I would tend to agree...but in this case after 3 separate shooters, 2 being military, and having the same result I would have to say its the rifle. The bolt face doesn't apprear to be flat. There is not a uniform brass pattern on the bolt face and I am not getting a proper gas pattern on the crown. After having a smith look it, it would apprear as if the barrel may have chattered a small amount while the crown was being cut. After speaking to Remingtons customer service, they indicated this rifle is within spec and stated that anything done to it by them would be at my expense. I don't consider 3" moa an acceptable spec. </div></div>

If you couldn't see such glaring mechanical woe from 10 miles away...you'd best get Helen Keller to break trail for you.

I'd love to hear particulars about the ammo,the base,rings and glass,in no particular order.

Issues with new remmys: trigger, alledgedly 3lb factory set and adjustable, seems many aren't under 5 or really adjustable, but very clean; SPS stocks, but who cares for a tac/precision rifle its probably getting changed anyway; BDL mag feed issue, finicky about picking up the next round. none kept mine from shooting well and all these can be cured, but its a downer on a brand new rifle. Then there's the chamber, with its LONG throat, you can't get anywhere near the lands loaded to mag length, still shoots well, but I can't help but think I'm giving up some accuracy, this too can be fixed, but its spendy. There's also the giant firing pin hole that effects nothing but makes it look like pressure cratering.
I still recommend the 700, and fixing these things gives an excuse to tailor it better towards you and your usage. I've heard good things about Savages, haven't had one, might try one someday. Thompson Center's bolt guns are supposed to be very accurate as well, but to my knowledge lack an aftermarket, which savage and remington especially, both have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Living Large, I would tend to agree...but in this case after 3 separate shooters, 2 being military, and having the same result I would have to say its the rifle. The bolt face doesn't apprear to be flat. There is not a uniform brass pattern on the bolt face and I am not getting a proper gas pattern on the crown. After having a smith look it, it would apprear as if the barrel may have chattered a small amount while the crown was being cut. After speaking to Remingtons customer service, they indicated this rifle is within spec and stated that anything done to it by them would be at my expense. I don't consider 3" moa an acceptable spec. </div></div>

If you couldn't see such glaring mechanical woe from 10 miles away...you'd best get Helen Keller to break trail for you.

I'd love to hear particulars about the ammo,the base,rings and glass,in no particular order.

</div></div>

Rings: http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...ovetail-mounts/
Rings have been lapped as well.

Scope:http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...es/vx-3-4-5-14x50mm-long-range-illum-reticle/
Has been removed and sent back to Leupold, was given a ok.

As far as ammo, none of it shot better than a 1.5" moa but this is what I have tried.

Federal Fusion 120 grain
Federal Prem w/ Sierra Game king 115 grain
Federal Prem w/ Nosler 115 grain
Hornady Custom w/ SST 117 gr...I think grain weight is correct.

Lapping DD's are moot,given Remmie bridge height woes as a QC "norm".

The 4.5-14's are the biggest POS Leupie "offers".

Factory Loaded shit,do not a rifle critique make.

I never said this was the greatest stuff out there! This post was for a guy looking for his FIRST bolt gun. You can critize my hog/varmint HUNTING rifle all you want. Fact is, 2 military trained shooters had no better luck with it than I did. Going back to my original comment. "I have several Remingtons in the safe and all are great shooters but all of them were produced prior to Freedom Arms purchasing the company." If you knew anything about who owns Freedom Arms you would know that he has a vested interest in to having as high of a quality firearm in the publics hands.

For the owner of this thread I'm sorry someone chose to make this simple post a pissing contest!

Your best first move is to shut the fuck up and take notes.

Hint.

I dig that you fancy yourself as having even the FAINTEST of fucking clues!

I just pee'd a little,laughing.

Haha! The expected Ford vs Chevy debate ensues. Just to divert attention back to OP, you can see there's a 50% chance you will not like the Rem 700.

I just picked up a Tikka Scout & expect it to shoot well because I have had nothing but joy from my Sako--the company is known for manufacturing consistency.

Personally, if you take heed at feedback & satisfaction consistency, a Savage 10 or FNH PBR/TSR XP might be a better pick over the 700. If you're willing to entertain a $2K budget, I stopped by Scottsdale Gun Club a while back and they offer an a package made by US Palm--FNH SPR action, A5 stock & heavy threaded barrel for $1K. It's not bedded & no pillars. I called US Palm direct & they never called back to confirm barrel maker. Anyways, it's listed on sgcusa.com.

For entry scope, research up on maybe Vortex PST, SWFA SS or used Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x. Don't skim on rings -- everybody will say Badger Ordnance, NF Ultralite or Seekins.

Any one of these packages will easily place you in the $1500 range. Expect another $70 for a Harris bipod.

Guessing gets ugly quick and you are doing lots of it.

Laffin'!

thanks for all the feedback guys, 1500 for just the gun. I can get the rest of the sh*t later but i just want to have the gun in my hands for 1500 or under. I have thought of reloading but i dont as of now. I also dont get to shoot that much. Maybe once or twice a month, so im not as concerned about having to buy 400 rounds of 338 lapua, but i do see your point that the ammo is ungodly expensive. I have thought of sticking to 308 because i could keep the same ammo for my PTR 91 and thats always good. I'm going to to be using it most for target shooting. Maybe hunting a few years down the road when i get out of college, and all my guns are for SHTF if need be... so it needs to be reliable. I have heard some horror stories about recent remington guns too.

Keep shooting your Imagination,it's as close as you'll ever come.

If you really look around you can find Sako 85's in the $1500 range. They are great rifles and you should never have any problems with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you really look around you can find Sako 85's in the $1500 range. They are great rifles and you should never have any problems with them. </div></div>

I have looked at their rifles and I'm pretty impressed,but im looking for something new. I've had some back experiences with used products (really bad) I just got a new job and i have to see how many hours i get before i can really gauge how much im willing to spend. i'm also looking at a gun safe, so i cant justify spending THAT much on it, but maybe i can go a little farther as far as money if i get really lucky. Hell if i hit the lottery... Barrett here i come!!!
smile.gif