• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Info for new .223 Bolt Action

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
I recently picked up a Remington SPS Tactical in .223. Right now I only have 55 gr FMJ-BT's from Montana Gold to load.

Two questions. Anyone out there with a good suggested recipe for this rifle using the 55 grainers (with cannelure)? I have several different powders available with the bulk being H-4895 and CFE223. Just curious what success others have had with this bullet, granted it's not known for it's accuracy. BBL length is 20"

Second question. When I am able to find some heavier, match grade or good hunting quality (like V-Max's) what is the maximum length one can seat a bullet out to (OAL) and still have the cartridge reliably feed from the internal magazine. Is this rifle still limited to the 2.260" limitation for AR's or is there a little more room in the internal magazine?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

No experience with your bullet, I would just follow Hogdons powder manufacturers data. Your rifle has great potential. I would definatley sell or trade those (AR) bulletsfor some match, 69 gr bullets. I assume your barrel twist is 1-9.

Next buy a Hornady overall length or similar tool, seat your bullets just off (short of) your lands. If no tool, seat to magazine length.

69 grain SMKs are perfect for that rifle. 77 grain SMKs are on the margin of stability for a 1:9 but my 700 TAC shoots them like crazy. On the other hand, Hornady 75 grain AMAXs keyhole at 100 yds.