• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need info/help on Polish Vis Radom

7WSMShooter

GlassWhore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    NC, member since 2006
    Got this 9mm VisRadom from my Dad today. He had picked it up in trade 43-45 years ago. My grandfather
    and great uncle both came home from WWII with nickel plated Vis Radoms. My great uncle pulled his off a German officer and no clue where my Gramps got his. From my Dads research he had heard that some pistols were sent out to be Nickel plated for officers and also heard that they factory made a few for parade pistols in nickel. Thats what I’m dying to find out. Almost all Radoms were blued with brown plastic grips, some with the black plastic grips, and some with wood grips.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Dan

E4A0C087-F9DE-420F-9276-D1D059CF9B75.jpeg
    9021A1BE-B4D4-4CED-A448-A1D6887FA927.jpeg
    4E97FCDA-09B5-409E-91DD-F1414DA15D08.jpeg
    5F9F8855-B212-40BD-8FE4-E42E4EA1473B.jpeg
    1E0D0659-86F9-4124-B8DC-86345FD4A4EF.jpeg
    9E05A7A3-FF51-4FA0-BC16-516EB5142345.jpeg

Last edited:
    Seen a lot of Radom's. They are really outstanding guns. But got 'grief' back in the day because Polish jokes were all the rage. But they are fine auto's. At one point, the magazines were worth more than the guns! Very hard to find mags... or used to be.

Nickel, however, is a new one on me! I do not believe any Radom's were nickeled from the factory or the armory. But there is always a possibility that presentation pieces were done during the war. It is also possible that as 'surplus guns' they came in cheap after WW2 and were nickel plated after the fact. But if your dad brought that back from WW2, that's unlikely in this case. So odds are either a factory piece noone is aware of. Or something done in Nazi Germany... perhaps for officers, presentation or 'parade' use. The Germans did like their shiny stuff!

Very cool gun! It also does not have an import mark, so definitely came into USA before the GCA68 required import marks.

@buffalowinter might know something.

Did I mention cool gun? A nice Radom and an early CZ75 are both on my list of things I covet.

Sirhr

The 4 digit H prefix s/n and lack of the Polish Eagle crest indicates it was made made during German occupation.
    The production records no longer exist so theres no reliable way to nail down the exact month or even year it was made, but being a 3 lever with no stock slot in the grip strap it was likely made sometime in '41 or early '42.
    IIRC, the entire production line was moved to Austria in late '43.
    Prior to that only the barrels were made in Austria.
    Never heard of or seen a verified factory chromed/nicked VIS 35.
    After the war it was quite popular for GI's to have their trophy pistols refinished that way.
    99% sure that how yours ended up in this condition.
    Completely kills any collector value.
    E.T.A: Polish eagle crest on pre occupation piece made by the Poles.
    These also had 5 digit serials and Polish proof/acceptance stamps.
    20211124_190400.jpg

Last edited:
    Love a Radom. Love the lines and ergo. Great all around pistol. First I've ever seen in chrome

Thanks guys for the help so far. I do know that my grandfathers and great uncles
    pistols were already nickel plated when “acquired“ in country. This one I‘ve no clue about.

I have a reference book on these pistols, but not in front of me at the moment. The book has all variations made circa 1936-1945, including the limited number of newly pistols made in 1992. (I think 100 special editions made that year.). None were nickel plated during the war, in fact the finish was pretty poor circa by 1944 with hardly any polishing.

However, some bring back Radoms were nickel plated in the US in the 1950s-60s, which was also popular on worn military 1911s. Based on the pics (including the German Waffenmarks that have been lightened via sanding), that pistol was very carefully polished and looks like a *brushed hard chrome* finish done in the USA. It’s not an old nickel finish. Looks quite nice, but it’s not a WWII finish or even a 1950s-60s nickel finish. Pretty sure that is a brushed hard chrome finish.

Last edited:
    The RADOM is a class act and built like the proverbial brick sh*t house.
    They will take any 9mm ammo thrown at them.
    You see a lot of buggered take down lever/slide hold open levers as most people to not know how to strip them and think they are like a Colt...
    I have seem some near mint crested Radom's buggered beyond believe by those who would not take the time to read on how to strip them.

• Sad
    Reactions: ZG47A