• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need info: Hornady 6GT factory ammo in a Proof prefit….experience?

nickw

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Western MA
Thinking about grabbing a Proof prefit 6GT bbl. and some factory Hornady 6GT ammo to get me going. Anyone shot the new factory ammo GAP has in a proof prefit yet? Wonder how the combo shoots. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add- I run a 6.5C proof prefit steel comp contour barrel and it’s one of the most accurate barrels I’ve ever had. I didn’t know what chamber freebore proof was using in their 6GT bbl (suppose I could call them) and how the Hornady would shoot in the bbl. Don’t usually run factory ammo. @shootist406 is probably on point. Doubtful proof went against the norm and spec’d their own reamer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you found the Hornady factory ammo for sale yet?

I'm quite sure the reamers proof is using are the same 120fb length that gap chambers 95% of the gts in. The 109 eldm ammo was likely developed around this popular reamer. I bet it will shoot just fine. I sold an impact/Kreiger 6gt barreled action to a buddy that had 800 rounds on it, used same 120fb gap spec reamer. It shoots the eagle eye 105 Berger ammo with impressive accuracy and has es in the teens. The barrel is a 236 bore, 5r and is a bit on the tight side. Velocity is 3090 with the 105s and it's definitely warm as some the alpha brass eagle eye loads with is showing pressure signs. Brandon just ordered several boxes of the 109 ammo from GAP to try in the same barrel, I'll report back on his results.

Reactions: nickw
The white box 108eldm, black box 103eldx, black box 105HPBT 6creed hornady ammo i have tested is the most accurate factory ammo i've ever shot. I imagine the 6gt will be real good too.

While relatively new on the benches of 6GT owners, every report I've read on the Hornady factory stuff hammers. I shoot a Proof on my GT, while it's not a prefit, it's shot in the 300's from day one. I wouldn't hesitate on the combo.

Reactions: nickw
New Hornady 6mm GT ammo with 109 gr ELD-M bullets! now in stock!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope