• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

need info on AI AE

Jgrovem110

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Hello im looking into buying a used AI AE or a brand new AT , i know the ae is the cheaper model of the aw but is there a real difference in performance and quality ? also would i be better off to spend the extra money and upgrade to the at ?

I have Ae mk3! Accuracy will be same! It will outlast me. If you shoot a lot , I would go with the AT because of easy barrel swap. Also the action is a little more robust on the AT. Hope this helps.

Call mile high and see what they will do on a new one. Tell em your a hide member!

Okay cool will do, do they offer a deal to hide members

The mk1 is 3200

Yeah that’s way overpriced unless it includes a $1200 optic.

Market value for a MK1 is 2k or below. Few things to consider regarding the first gen AE;
Only MK1 mags are compatible, can be a pain to find. IMO you might be better off looking at a mk2 or mk3 as they use commonly available, proven, and easily modified aics mags.
Fixed stock only, a folder comes in handy for transport and pack carrying.

If your budget is $3200, go for an AT, they are right at that price range pretty often in the PX. You won’t regret it.

Reactions: Jgrovem110
Great thanks for all the info I didn’t know if this mk1 was a good deal or not so thanks for clearing that up. Just sold a gun to buy an AI so My budget will allow me to purchase a brand new AT , however if i can find something used for reasonable price that would be ideal

I’m also leaning towards the at for the fact I can change barrel lengths and calibers easy. I’m thinking I want a 6.5cm

Yep, there's deals on the px, just takes some searching and be ready to jump on them.
20200923_101705.jpg
1700 mk2 ae
20201112_141632.jpg
3000 mk1 ax, both were scored on the px here. To give you an idea of how high that mk1 price is, I bought my mk3 ae from euro for 3400 brand new. It is a fde folder with a tooley 6.5creed bart and had an ai brake. That mk1 is worth about 1300 to me.

Wow , I certainly won’t be purchasing that ae at that price point! Seriously appreciate all the insight guys

The mk1 is 3200

Run lol. $3200 for an AE MK1 is outrageous, that's a $1500 rifle at best, maybe $1800 if it's a folder and like new. For $3200 you can get a brand new AT if you call around. It will get you a current rifle with a ton of upgrades and you'd lose maybe $500 tops if you decided to sell it. If you paid the same for a AE you'd lose your ass right off the bat. Even if you could get the AE for what it's actually worth, the AT is still worth the extra $$ to get the upgrades.

is there any real advantage to ax over the at besides the fancy rails and stock?

Not really, IMHO. Might be a little easier to run a clip on. Both have same action/trigger/qd barrel set up.

Okay that’s was my opinion too but I’ve never even handled an AI so it’s all an outsiders perspective from me

That’s a steep asking price for the AE, especially a MKI. That’s about how much I paid for my MKIII new.

I recommend paying a little extra and going for the AT based on my experience. If you don’t care about what the AT brings to the table over the MKIII and want to save some money, let me know. I’ve been planning on upgrading at some point but keeping the AE for nostalgia. I’m more likely to let it go to someone on this forum than a random person on Gunbroker.