• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need info on AI muzzle breaks

Jgrovem110

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Hey guys just purchased an AIAT and I'm looking for a muzzle break, my question is can the AI muzzle break be installed at home or does it require a gunsmith? i know there's much better options out there but i just like the classic look of the AI break.

I use the Area419 Hellfire on my AT and it is awesome.

The issue with the AI brake is it is a metric thread versus the standard 5/8-24. I have an AI brake on my AXMC as it came with it and it works nice

Oh okay I did t realize that .. so it’s not gonna work with my AT?

It’ll work if you buy a metric threaded barrel for it. Otherwise you’re better off with a Hellfire

its the factory UK barrel but im fairly positive its 5/8 thread

i also see badger ordnance makes the FTE break which looks identical

why so much hype for the area 419 ? is just the most effective and easy to install?

If the original barrel is an actual AI barrel, I would think it is a metric thread but you should certainly figure that out before you buy anything. Furthermore, I don't believe that the AI brake is made in any thread other than metric so if you believe your barrel is 5/8-24, then you can't use an AI brake

There is really no more hype for the Area 419 Hellfire than any other high quality brake. I like the Area419 as it is what I have used but there are other brakes around like the Little Bastard, etc. All have their followers.

Reactions: Jgrovem110
If the original barrel is an actual AI barrel, I would think it is a metric thread but you should certainly figure that out before you buy anything. Furthermore, I don't believe that the AI brake is made in any thread other than metric so if you believe your barrel is 5/8-24, then you can't use an AI brake

My 6,5 CM AIAT factory barrel was 5/8-24. I think some of the 308 and maybe the larger cal barrels were metric threads. Shouldn't be too hard to confirm with a 65cent nut from the hardware store.

Reactions: Jgrovem110
My 6,5 CM AIAT factory barrel was 5/8-24. I think some of the 308 and maybe the larger cal barrels were metric threads. Shouldn't be too hard to confirm with a 65cent nut from the hardware store.
I am not sure of the accuracy of what I was told but I will say it anyways.

Any barrel purchased with an AT that is not 7.62x51 is not a true Lothar Walther (Factory AI) barrel. When you purchased your AT with another caliber, I believe that the barrel is a US made barrel from Bartlein and that is why it has a conventional 5/8-24 thread.

Not sure if that is accurate. I bought my AT in 2015. There was no option for purchasing an AT in any caliber other than 7.62x51. I did buy a 2nd barrel with it in 6.5 CM but that was a Bartlein not an AI LW barrel.

I am not sure of the accuracy of what I was told but I will say it anyways.

Any barrel purchased with an AT that is not 7.62x51 is not a true Lothar Walther (Factory AI) barrel. When you purchased your AT with another caliber, I believe that the barrel is a US made barrel from Bartlein and that is why it has a conventional 5/8-24 thread.

Not sure if that is accurate. I bought my AT in 2015. There was no option for purchasing an AT in any caliber other than 7.62x51. I did buy a 2nd barrel with it in 6.5 CM but that was a Bartlein not an AI LW barrel.

And all my bartlein win tac barrels have been absolute hammers.... Just saying

Did you buy it new? If so call the people that sold it to you, and ask them what size muzzle thread it is. If it’s a metric size get the AI brake. If it’s standard 5/8’s get w different one.

My 2018 6,5 CM barrel also has the UK proof marks.

It's also a hammer.

I happen to have a spare AI 18M x 1.5 brake, but it’s off a 338 so I’m guessing it’s a larger thread.

Honestly, this is not complex. If it is a AI factory barrel, it is either M18x1.5 (regardless of caliber) or it is 5/8x24, unless you have a ASR which is 3/4x24 which is not the case.

Simplest solution, post a pic and this will be closed in 0.5secs. Or google it.

Best way to tell if it is M18x1.5 is if there is a step down from the barrel diameter right before the threads. This is where the clamping portion of the brake connects. Looks like this:

1607051246789.jpeg

And, yes, a AI brake can be installed at home with a 4mm Allen as long as your barrel is M18x1.5

Reactions: vh20 and Nik H