• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need info on an AIAW threading

GunjunkieM24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Monahans Tx
I tried the search function for this info but came up empty. If its been discussed before, excuse my ignorance but I am looking for a drawing on the AIAW barrel tennon.

If anyone has this info and would care to share, I would greatly appreciate it. A friend has asked me to spin up a barrel for him for his AW. I know the thread pitch is 2.o mm but really need the length, degree of taper on the breach, reliefs, etc.

i just really want to confirm that my measurements off of the old barrel are correct.

Thanks in advance for any help in the search.

Ben

Re: Need info on an AIAW threading

+1 I was about the ask for the same thing before I saw this post.

You can rebarrel it the same as any other action, the breach reliefs dont serve any real purpose IMO and Ive done a few. Measure your headspace the same as you would any other action.

Call George @ GAP. They do it all the time. All their receivers are the same dimensions. Stacey Blankenship is also a AI rep and can steer you in the right direction.

As the guy chambering all of AI's barrels now I'm not at liberty to release any drawings. But I can say they are no different than another action. You can duplicate the barrel you have or just to make yourself feel better get all the dimensions off the action. Headspace, Tenon length. If you like the thread fit on the barrel in hand then use a thread mic or thread wires and duplicate the pitch diameter. Some advice,I'd rather be under size than oversize on the threads. The chamfer on the chamber helps with feeding.

Dave,
Thanks for the heads up. I am confident on the one I am doing for this rifle as I have it in hand. I just mainly wanted the drawings to keep in my files.

Are the AIAW receivers held to an exact measurement on all receivers...no variances? I am assuming so to keep the headspace right from one barrel to the next.......

I will use my thread wires and get measurements on the one that I have and just get good measurements on the rest of the Dims.

I really appreciate all the help guys.