• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need info on thermal picture quality(Breach)

2nd2none

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
3F61F37B-59E6-458B-8F06-FD6EEEAB976B.jpeg
Hello all, I recently purchased a Flir Breach and was curious on my image quality. I am experiencing lines on the image. Both vertical and horizontal, the vertical lines are more noticeable. What it reminds me of is when you look closely at a picture canvas and you can see the vertical and horizontal lines that make squares etc, which take away from the clarity of the image.
I’m not sure if it’s normal for all thermal devices, for the breach or if there is something wrong. I can’t really find any discussions on this matter. Any info appreciated. I’ve tried playing w the settings but seem to always see it.

QiPYWKu.jpg

I get the same on my FLIR PTS536 with internal image capture, though it's less pronounced. I don't see it when I'm using the device. I think it may be down to how FLIR captures internal images. Are you seeing this during actual use? Or is the image above a photo you took with a phone/camera through the eyepiece? Doing that will greatly exaggerate the pixellation.

QiPYWKu.jpg

I get the same on my FLIR PTS536 with internal image capture, though it's less pronounced. I don't see it when I'm using the device. I think it may be down to how FLIR captures internal images. Are you seeing this during actual use? Or is the image above a photo you took with a phone/camera through the eyepiece? Doing that will greatly exaggerate the pixellation.
The pic I added was taken with my phone, so that’s what I’m actually seeing. Even though taking a pic of a screen can be a degraded look. That is actually pretty accurate to what I’m seeing

Last edited:
viewing the image horizontally from left to right, the 2 dark vertical lines at approximate 1/3 & 2/3 aren't seen in the half dozen Breach optics I've had in my hands. Your phone may be magnifying noise in the image or it may be a display fault.

Do they go away with a NUC?
Is the device new or second hand?

viewing the image horizontally from left to right, the 2 dark vertical lines at approximate 1/3 & 2/3 aren't seen in the half dozen Breach optics I've had in my hands. Your phone may be magnifying noise in the image or it may be a display fault.

Do they go away with a NUC?
Is the device new or second hand?
It’s brand new. Only had it for a couple of weeks. I do hear the NUC every so often. And doing the manual NUC doesn’t change a thing. It is like I’m looking through a window screen with all the tiny squares.

Looking through the manual there are a couple of pics that looks like the same thing, so maybe it’s normal… it really degrades the image in my opinion.

B1B65FC6-F143-4E7F-8CFD-B9987A8BAB32.jpeg

Another pic taken with phone. This is 100% completely accurate with how it looks normally. Snow covered ground. 19 degrees out

I found this on flir website. Seems like a similar issue despite different device/sensor.

I could be wrong about the following but cheaper thermal sensors take some time to adjust to ambient temperature. If you leave breach inside 72° house then go outside and it's substantially warmer or cooler then you are going to need to let your breach's thermal sensor reach ambient temp for optimal image quality.

The other thing is NUCing. You need to NUC more often during this warm up period to keep a decent image. Once sensor has reached ambient temp you will need to NUC less often.
I pretty much NUC all the fucking time when I'm scanning regardless.

Last edited:

I found this on flir website. Seems like a similar issue despite different device/sensor.

I could be wrong about the following but cheaper thermal sensors take some time to adjust to ambient temperature. If you leave breach inside 72° house then go outside and it's substantially warmer or cooler then you are going to need to let your breach's thermal sensor reach ambient temp for optimal image quality.

The other thing is NUCing. You need to NUC more often during this warm up period to keep a decent image. Once sensor has reached ambient temp you will need to NUC less often.
I pretty much NUC all the fucking time when I'm scanning regardless.
Thank you for the info. That article was over my head…. But yes, looks similar.
Even indoors where it’s already ambient temp it’s like that. I’m curious if it’s just that everything is such similar temps. It is winter and it’s been staying between-15 to 20 degrees for the last few weeks outside. And the fact that it is a cheaper sensor, funny never thought of calling a $2200 piece of equipment cheap…. Lol
NUC’ing I really don’t see a difference.
I just couldn’t justify spending $4500-6k on a better one, so here I am trying to figure out if this Breach is defective or it’s just a cheaper sensor characteristic

I’m new to thermal so not sure on what to expect from it. I really wanted to go for a 640 res but didn’t want to spend two to three times more for something that’s just for once and a while. I just wanted to make sure that the square pattern was normal.

Reactions: dzhitshard