• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Information on Red Dot sights for a .22 Pistol

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I am writing this to hopefully get some insight on red dot sights. I have a custom Ruger MKIII pistol that is all Volquartsen (Frame with Internals, Grip, Bolt and Mainspring Housing) and Tactical Solutions (6” Barreled Receiver, Compensator, with upper and lower rails and fiber front sight I am also planning to get a Fiber rear). The only part from Ruger is the magazines.

I have used many guns with “open sights” and have used many scopes. However I have never had a “red dot” sight on any gun I have owned. I have shot friends guns with them but all of those were rifles. To be honest I did not like a red dot on a rifle even if it was an AR-15.

My question is what would be good for a .22 pistol? I was thinking about the size of the optic as a consideration. What are the major considerations for this type of optic? I also believe that most of my shooting will be 50 yards or less. How much to I need to spend to get something that will work for this pistol?

I was considering getting this one:

Weaver Micro Dot Reflex Red Dot Sight 4 MOA Dot Weaver-Style Mount

But since I know almost nothing about red dots I thought I should ask first.

Thanks for the help.

I run C-More slide ride reflex sights with 4MOA dots on my .22 pistol for IPSC training as well as steel challenge .22lr events. Another recommendation if you are not a reflex guy is the Ultra-Dot tube style optics. Built by Leupold, I ran one on my .38 super for a year before winning a C-More.

4MOA is perfect for speed and precision inside of 50yds, but a 6 or 8 may be more desirable for increased aquisition speed. The ultra-dot is adjustable from 2-8MOA.

What are you doing with the pistol?

Action shooting sports tend to like the holo type sights.

The bullseye people, at least when I was around the sport, preferred the tube type. The Ultra Dot was the one I ended up with for my .22.

What are you doing with the pistol?

Action shooting sports tend to like the holo type sights.

The bullseye people, at least when I was around the sport, preferred the tube type. The Ultra Dot was the one I ended up with for my .22.

That's a good question. I will probably shoot paper more than anything. But I have no idea ultimately. I guess I need to go to Cabelas or Bass Pro and look at a few.

I just put a Bushnell TRS-25 on my FAL.

Inexpensive, incredibly long battery life, plenty bright in full strong daylight, works really well. Got mine on Amazon

I run a Docter 7 MOA on my Buckmark. It is a GAME CHANGER!

Been running a Vortex Sparc on my Frankenruger (Tac Sol 6" upper) for at least 3 years. Gets carried around a lot in a pack, gets left on, always prints right where its supposed to. Has a NV setting and I never run it full on, even on the brightest day. 2 moa dot which is nice for precision shots on squirrel heads at 50 yd. Can ding a 16" disk at 200 off hand no problem. They were on sale for $170 just a few weeks ago, may still be.

I've got a Burris Fastfire III on my Mark III target. F'ing awesome!! I had a Fastfire II on a Buckmark. IMO can't have more fun than that with a pistol. After seeing this thread I'm going to have to build a TacSol or Volq Mark III with a threaded barrel and put a can on it. (Thanks Rancilio)

The Weaver Micro is actually a pretty good way to go if you haven't been using a dot type or holo sight. Decent sight for not much money that will tell you if you need to upgrade to a better holo or move on to a different type. I put one on a 22/45 Lite and used it squirrel hunting. I upgraded to a Fastfire III and put the Weaver on my granddaughters Rascal. She loves it. She has several kills, squirrels, to her credit with it.