• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need input on new paint

8up

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Texas
Just like some feedback on this new paint I done. Rifle got a complete make over.
DSCN0286.jpg

DSCN0287.jpg

Re: Need input on new paint

that looks prettyu tuff.but the scope does stick out.we would like to hear about some tech tips.

Looks good. Bet it works well in the desert. Nice job.

I would not paint the scope if it were mine. I think the contrast of matte black looks good on a painted rifle. Plus I change scopes a lot and I use Duracoat. Not easy to remove.

I will update you all that want to know on the techniques I used. I have some learning points and what to do better for the next one. If I dig this paint, I will do another one soon. I have another set up similar to this that needs a makeover. I was never a paint or camo type before, but since doing this, I am looking foward to doing another. Will update with pic's in the desert tommorrow at the range. On the scope, I am having all the same thoughts as what all you have posted. Thinking of doing a single color duracoat, or leaving black. Not really sure yet. I'd say I'm scaird to do it. Then again, my rifle cost more. The M3 is not my favorite, but when I bought it cheap brand spanking new, I am about to say what the hell just do it.

looks great to me. what is the color on the metal and what is brand?

Update with pic's in the desert

DSCN0293.jpg

DSCN0292.jpg

I duracoated all metal with Duracoat WWII OD green. Mixed a little less hardner than what was required so I could maintain the matte appearance. As for the stock, the base coat is Duracoat Tactical Coyote Tan. The other colors were Dark Earth Brown, OD green, matte black, and Multi Beige or Sand. After spraying the base coat, I used blue painters tape with wax paper cut stencils for all the color to fill in. One point I learned from this is blue painters tape sucks. It would not stay and began to lift while spraying, it caused some horrible looking patterns. What I will use next is the tan tape, it stays put and I can use it many more times while spraying. I am going to use it next, and cut my stencils with scissors. This was a trial run, will refinish in the future with better stencils.

Looks great. I can't notice any stencil issues from these fotos. I doubt I would notice them unless I was look for them in person and close up.

I haven't had the balls to paint a scope yet but either but have painted everything else I own.

absolutely hideous, you should just throw the whole thing out. It just so happens I have a rifle disposal area in my backyard
wink.gif

Becareful with some of the other tape, real easy to lift your basecoat unless your letting it go full cure between coat. That could take a couple of months with duracoat.
smile.gif

There is another masking tape that is light green but I dont recall the name, a bit tackier that the blue but still a safe release without any residue.

Your paint job looks great! I'm more of a "lay a weed over the piece & spray away" kinda' guy. Fast & easy. Stop by your local automotive supply store & get a roll of the 3M Green professional masking tape. It's made to stick, but is not as aggresive as the old tan stuff so you have less of a chance of pulling your base coat loose.

Looks great. I'll send my aics skins for you to practice on. Send them back when you have perfected them.

Wow. Very nice. I like the barrel color as well.