• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need input on r700 aac-sd to 260

TucsonAustin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Hey fellow hide members,

I currently have
Remington 700 sps aac-sd (.308)
Bushnell elite 3200 10x
20 moa base (EGR I think)
M24 stock (HS pst-006 LOP only)

I have been doing some research and have been won over by the .260 for various reasons, mainly ballistic performance. In a few months I will be getting another student loan and plan on upgrading my rifle. My short list is atlas v-8 bipod, new glass, and conversion to .260. From what I read it seems like I just need a new barrel which I am thinking a heavy contour 28" threaded barrel so I can put a brake.

Further background information
I do not reload at this time. Though I have been saving my brass about 100-200 rounds of FGMM
I mainly shoot steal at the ranges around here. we have a range nearby that has steel from 200m- 1000m. I have not gone for the 1000 yet however I plan to in the near future.
I plan to do some practical/"tactical" matches in the future

Now my questions
1. Is it as simple as just replacing my barrel to .260?
2. I have read that while doing a transplant like this to true up the action, any input from someone who has done this before or knowledgeable.
3. I want to reduce the downtime of my rig when doing this! Any input on barrel manufactures that are reputable and have low wait times to ship out.
4. Rough pricing for a 28" threaded 260 barrel. trued up action or replacement action.

Thanks for reading and look forward to responses.

Austin

Here is my rifle as it stands. Still would love input to help me get to shooting 260 out to 1000.

thanks
Austin

Attachments

• SAM_0014.jpg
    SAM_0014.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 8
  • SAM_0015.jpg
    SAM_0015.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9
Mistake #1: Using your student loan to finance a rifle upgrade. Bad idea, trust me. Save up for it, or purchase the components over time and have a gunsmith do it when you finally have all the components, but if you don't mind having more debt hanging over your head:

1) Barrel: There's barrels in the For Sale section that you can have immediately. Google will get you a lot of retailers who have barrels in stock. Expect to pay between $300 - $400 based on brand and features.
2) Truing action: Might as well. Why put a fancy new barrel on an action that's likely got loose tolerances from the mass production process? While you're at it, have the gunsmith check the fit of your bolt as well. Might wanna get a custom fitted bolt while you're at it.
3) Downtime: The barrel won't be your major source of downtime, it'll be the gunsmith. Once he has your gun, it'll go in the queue, and expect a few months of wait time, minimum. Make sure you use a reputable guy. Check reviews, make sure he won't close up shop and disappear, or hold on to your gun for 3 years, or overcharge the crap out of you.
You can call some of the big name custom shops for a quote, many are Hide vendors and reputable, but that also means they get a lot of business, i.e. longer wait times.
Ask your locals where they get their stuff done.

P.S. Did I mention don't use student loans to finance this?

Seriously....don't buy "stuff" with student loans. You will be paying for it long after the barrel burns out if you shoot seriously. Stick with what you have.

I bought a gun I'm still paying for when I was in college...I'm 32 now.

Mistake #1: Using your student loan to finance a rifle upgrade. Bad idea, trust me.

P.S. Did I mention don't use student loans to finance this?

58blackflag said:
Seriously....don't buy "stuff" with student loans. You will be paying for it long after the barrel burns out if you shoot seriously. Stick with what you have.

What these guys said. Happiest day of my life, behind my wedding day and birth of my sons, is making that last payment and giving a BIG middle finger to Sallie Mae.

I've shot a 16.5" R700 308 to 900yd using 168gr TAP; your AAC-SD will get there with FGMM. It'll get there substantially better if you start reloading and use premium bullets, such as the 168 Berger Hybrid or even 168 Berger Classic Hunter.

If you must have a 6.5, sell your Remington to finance a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor for about $900...as the Creedmoor has high quality Hornady 140gr A-Max factory match ammo available for ~$26/box.

Good luck...

Oh, I forgot one more thing:

Another option you MIGHT have is installing an AAC 260 "prefit" barrel...which was recently discontinued. Member Niles Coyote has done some recent reviews on one (among others), and needless to say, its pretty damn good accuracy for a sub-$200 barrel. It'd be a quick/easy R&R job for a good smith, though any half-competent person with a barrel vise and action wrench could do it themselves.

As I mentioned they have been discontinued, but if you troll enough forums and post enough WTBs you might get lucky and and find one.

I appreciate the feedback. In regards to finances the gf put her foot down and you guys sealed the deal. I will use other means to upgrade my rig. Will have to go one step at a time but being a 26 army vet patience is something I should work on anyways. I am pretty dead set on going to .260. I will start the research phase of finding a gunsmith for the barrel change.

Oh, I forgot one more thing:

Another option you MIGHT have is installing an AAC 260 "prefit" barrel...which was recently discontinued. Member Niles Coyote has done some recent reviews on one (among others), and needless to say, its pretty damn good accuracy for a sub-$200 barrel. It'd be a quick/easy R&R job for a good smith, though any half-competent person with a barrel vise and action wrench could do it themselves.

As I mentioned they have been discontinued, but if you troll enough forums and post enough WTBs you might get lucky and and find one.

This is the route I went and haven't regretted it yet. It cost me less (much less) to have the barrel fitted to my action than it would have to hang and chamber a blank from Bartlein/Kreiger/Rock Creek. Granted, it's not on par with those barrels, but I have no plans on replacing it until it's burned out.

Dude, you could sell your rifle, and buy a Remy action for Brownell's (they're on sale for $389 right now). You'll get more money out of it that way. You'd have a hard time selling a take-off barrel. The other problem is that you do not reload. There aren't a lot of factory loaded match ammo options in .260, while there are plenty in 308. I think .260 is cool, but in your situation you may be better off sticking with 308. Just my $0.02