• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need knowledge on ham/murs radio

atxsniper

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
Texas
Hey guys, ive recently been looking into two way radios for use while hunting but also for shtf communications. Ive been looking into murs for hunting as it needs no license and is more powerful that frs. Also the ham seems to be what people would go to for emergency and long distance. How hard is it to get a ham license? I was also looking at buying a radio around the $100 range. I found the puxin px-888k seems to have good reviews, is dual band and can be used on murs. Other than this my radio knowledge is squat. Need some advice, pointers or links. Thanks guys

Re: need knowledge on ham/murs radio

There are 3 levels of Ham tickets, Tech, General, and Extra. Each level above Tech allows more bandwidth. Extra class gets everything Legal within the stations operating A/O be it fixed or portable.

2 meter is mostly LOS unless your tripping a repeater, or a sequence of them. General allows around this rock Como, in more ways than most use. Extra opens up bandwidth that now a days is still more civilized than most HF with 40 meters being the worst and 75/80 trending that way.

Ham radio can be much more exp than the shooting sports very quickly, depending the level you want to work, or have many options to communicate, within.
If you looking for end of the world Como, ham is it. I enjoy getting first hand info to events at home or across the pond, prior to the media putting their, agenda, spin on it.

Start looking around
Here &
Here
Search for radio clubs in your area, they will know where/when VE's are doing testing. Study material is everywhere.

I've a 2x1 call sign, so if I can do it anybody can.

Forgot to add, when buying a HT (handheld) "Never" buy on price. HT's, and RF in general, is one very important part of the adage "To, Shoot-Move-&-Communicate".
We as a group do VX6R Yeasu's w/mods and upgrades, for the strong advantage, it gives us. Not cheap, but end of world HT Como is worth what?
Como gear upgrades, is wiser,... than the difference between a 1/4 moa stick and 1 moa stick, if you're on a budget.

I made communications a priority about a year ago and found Ham is really the only option. I was blessed to have an active local club, and much like shooters they were just happy to answer questions and offer any support they could.

I'm in a very rural area and started with 2m and 440cm or (VHF and UHF). I found I liked the Yaesu brand for these units. I have several repeaters in my area that allow for basic coms in Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas. I have to stipulate that if the repeaters lose power than my coms are limited to 15-20 miles on 75 watts on 2m band.

I then graduated to HF which is truly as fascinating as long range shooting to me with as many variables as shooting a .308 @ 1000 yards. I did find that some of the HF bands will talk to Europe, Brazil, Canada, etc easier than 40 miles away without a directional antenna so keep that in mind if strictly wanting to communicate for emergencies. I found ICOM was significantly easier to use for the HF bands than the Yaesu equipment. That is Chevy vs. Ford though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did find that some of the HF bands will talk to Europe, Brazil, Canada, etc easier than 40 miles away without a directional antenna so keep that in mind if strictly wanting to communicate for emergencies. I found ICOM was significantly easier to use for the HF bands than the Yaesu equipment. That is Chevy vs. Ford though. </div></div>
My go to antenna is a 80 meter full wave +, loop. I've tried NVIS, Vert's ect, but over this dirt the loop does it all, better. In fact I'm building a 2nd so I can split them or Co-phase them as needed. Go to radio in the QTH is a Kenwood TS2000, and a TS480 in the truck. Std screwdriver set up I've modded gets me 3.8mz and down with the 480's internal tuner. I carry a full wave (lower) 40 meter, full wave loop, that goes up rather quickly if need be. Used it last May during the cross-band. Nothing like talking to the USS Midway, USS YorkTown, or Pentagon from your truck in the middle of the woods.
grin.gif

As to the MURS part of your question here is a link to an earlier thread that covers that topic pretty well:

Two-Way Radio Choice...

I'm using Standard Horizon HX370S Marine HTs for MURS. While not type accepted for MURS frequencies they do satisfy all the stated criteria when correctly programmed. They are awesome little radios; built like a tank. You can find usually them for around $100.00 net after discount codes at Gander Mountain.

Motorola does make type-accepted MURS HTs RDM 2020 and RDM 2080D if you want letter-of-the-law compliance.

The HX370S is being replaced by the HX400. It is a bit more expensive, but you get the "voice scrambler" (speech inversion, really) function included. That is a $90 or so option on the HX370S.

No doubt, the HX drop-in charger + truly weatherproof/submersible + QUALITY accessory compatibility is the best value out there. Weatherproof mic, external antennas, programming software available for download, compliance with narrow band and land mobile is the only way to go for reliability.

The Puxing, Wouxun and others are OK for 2nd tier comms. But you won't have battery compatibility. The accessories are NOT quality. And they don't have a spotless history of reliability.

Thanks for all the help guys. The puxing 888k radio I was looking at would really just be a starter radio to figure all this out and to play around with. Thats why I was looking for the cheaper option. Im going to try and get with the local ham group here for more info. Is there another radio around the same price that may be a bit better? Im still looking for dual band so i can use the murs while im getting my ham license. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atxsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help guys. The puxing 888k radio I was looking at would really just be a starter radio to figure all this out and to play around with. Thats why I was looking for the cheaper option. Im going to try and get with the local ham group here for more info. <span style="font-weight: bold">Is there another radio around the same price that may be a bit better?</span> Im still looking for dual band so i can use the murs while im getting my ham license. Thanks </div></div>

The HX370S I mentioned above is software programmable for the 2 meter ham band. It is a brother to the Yaesu VX170 (discontinued). All the reviews on eHam rate it 5/5. Gander Mountain has it online right now for $129.95 and you can get a $20.00 coupon code. Standard Horizon (marine division) is a sister company of Yaesu (Ham division).

If you want front panel programming I'd get a Yaesu FT-60R for $140.95 at Gigaparts but it won't do MURS.