• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need last minute backpacking/flyfishing suggestions ASAP!

Jbail1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I do a back-country fly fishing/back packing trip every year for the last 5 yrs. The last several years, we’ve done the San Juan Wilderness in southern, CO. This year, the plan was to do the Flat Top Wilderness southwest of Steamboat Springs. Problem is, my understanding is both those locations are on fire.

So I made a last minute change to visit the Black Hills, only to realize this is Sturgis Rally week. Which frankly would be awesome to visit, but not at all what I want to do this particular week.

The short of it is, I’m leaving tonight and need suggestions for a place to fish/backpack ASAP. Plan to be away from the truck for 5-6 days. Mountains preferred. Water access necessary. Also prefer less than 30 hrs of one way driving if possible. Coming from South Louisiana.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila wilderness, also had a buddy just fish the Frying pan and it was really good he said

Headwaters of the Poudre River area. Starts in Rocky Myn Natl Park outside of Grand Lake. Amazing beauty.

Believe its the Lulu City (old town, not there) trail.
Beautiful river, the Big South Fork of the Poudre. Big deep pools.
Lost a friend kayaking it 9 yrs ago.

West side of Indian Peaks Wilderness in CO between Frasier and Grand Lake. Lots of water, tons of big rock walls.
Look at Lone Eagle Peak and Mirror Lake specifically.

Also, the Bowen/Baker Trailhead that leaves RMNP accesses many high alpine beautiful lakes. No river fishing there though.
I hunt that wilderness area and its amazing.

Dont tell Bender I told you, the medicine bow natl forest west of Laramie WY towards Saratoga is great, not crowded.