• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need load data for M1A

Re: need load data for M1A

All of my case prep is the same and I use USGI or mil-spec brass, swagging out PP on first reloading.
Resize and trim too 2.005
Win Large Rifle Primer(there is plenty of spark energy) seated below flush.
Powder with any 168 is 41.0 of Varget
Coal 2.80 out to 2.82
M/V checks in at about 2600fps thats about what LC Match(M852/M118NM) or Federal Gold Metal Match(FGMM) run for velocity in my rifles, If your using commercial brass add 1 grain powder too stay ahead of the harminic node and too maintain M/V anything more and the wear and tear on you rifle starts too add up when firing bullets in 168 to 178gr weight range, loading/pushing past 2600fps you gain nothing extra in wind drift so why burn the powder, waist the money, torch the barrel, pound the rifle, beat on yourself? our rifles are not cheap these days.

For IMR4895 and H-4895 same case prep as above the powder charge I use is 41.5 for both powders, I find that IMR is softer recoiling than the H, the M/V is a reflection of that as well the M/V is just under 2600fps and the H load is just over the 2600fps nothing dramatic a few fps, accuracy of both loads is under MOA, this is a clone load of LC Match(M852) or FGMM if your rifle doesn't shoot this load your rifle is cursed.

For the 600yds and back or when the wind start too pick up, all the same case prep as above add .5grs of powder too 168 loads and swap in a 175 Sierra or 178 A-Max set COAL at 2.82 or 2.83 and you have a better load than the current M118LR ammo.

Also another known accuracy load with the 175 Sierra MK is 42.0grs of IMR-4064 Coal at 2.82 or 2.83 again all with the same case prep as above.

Reduced recoil loads that will cycle in your rifle and not knock you out of position these will have about the same recoil level as a Ar/15. they work best at 200yds standing off hand as well as in the sitting rapids. Bullet is the Speer 125TnT or the 135 Sierra MK.
IMR/H-4895 41.5 125Tnt up too 43.0 for the 135SMK
Varget 41.0 125TnT up to 42.5 for the 135SMK
Coal is 2.70 with the 125's and 2.75 with the 135 MK
M/V is in the 2800fps range with the 125 about M80 spec, also the 125 Speer TnT has a speed limit of about 3000fps any faster and sometimes they will fly apart before they get too there target so stay at or under the 2800fps, this will hold the inside of the ten ring at 200yds. The 125 TnT is a flat base pill and sometimes when theres wind they tend too start too blow off, the 135 MK is a BT pill with no speed limit and shoots inside the 125TnT. I have a friend that has fired the 43.0 IMR/H-4895 loading in a LC case on the 300yd rapid prone with minimal wind and dame near cleaned the target with plenty of time left over.

All loads are moderate in preasure in my rifles, start low and work up I'm not looking too reinvent the wheel but don't be surprised if your loads are the same, load development was done for our rifles 30+ years ago these are nothing new maybe the reduced recoil loads are because back in the days when our rifles ruled the firing line ammo was issued too the shooters, thats not the case today. I love giving the Ar/15 shooter fits with a old gun.

I shoot the 125 at 200yds the 135's if the wind is steady they seem too stay on call better, the 168's at 300yds with or without wind, the 168 at 600yds if the wind is playing nice, if there is a stady breaze/wind I go for the 175's and call it good, I'm not the best at reading wind and this seems too take alot of the work out of the mix, this work best for me.

Thank you...

I have been pushing the AR for a while. Wanted a M1A to try was, Was this or a AR10.

This had more appeal to me. The loads sound great. I am awair that using too slow buring of a powder or too heavy of a bullet can bend the op rod. this is the reason I am looking so hard for the data fo this system. took it out today and was holding 1 MOA with no sling at 200. with 170 D46 41.3 RL15.

Good post on information you may want to go to the M-14 Forum for more reloading information........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomad 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post on information you may want to go to the M-14 Forum for more reloading information........ </div></div>

Yes your correct, thats because it my load data and notes from the M14 forum.